How to fit 37's on a FJ Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, quite a few people have asked how I made them fit. So, here goes:
First, I know of the possibility of breakage. I run a 89 4Runner with a Ford 5L V-8 and 38.5" Swamper SX's. I know all about breakage. The axle in the front of my 4Runner was designed for 4cyl use. It's survived (for the most part).
The IFS in the Cruiser is the same as the one in the 05 4Runner with stock V-8 power. I'm gonna guess it's at least as strong as the 4cyl stuff. ;) I know we are comparing IFS with solid axle stuff, but it's gotta be close.
Anyways, when I first started test fitting the 37" Krawlers on my first Cruiser, I knew right away the front bumper had to go. They would rub the inside of the bumper with the wheels pointing straight.
Krawlertest2.jpg

DSC00099.jpg

It was also obvious that the body mount needed to be trimmed. But we've all seen that done. This was my first attempt. It needed more trimming. You can also see the pinch seam that will need to be flattened over.
DSC00096.jpg

I then had an unfortunate accident. The road was washed out in a winter storm.
DSC00156.jpg

I got another Cruiser, trimmed the body mounts more than my first try.
DSC00222.jpg

They don't rub on them, anymore. They don't rub on the front bumper, anymore, either.
Krawler5.jpg

I had to trim the inner fender liner for the bumper, and to clear the front of the tire. This is normal with an aftermarket bumper.
The tire cleared the UCA when there was only 6 psi in the tire. But when I aired them up to 30 psi, they juuuuust touched the UCA. They also juuuust touched the caliper. For now, I have a 1/4" spacer in there, and it clears fine. I have since replaced the lug nuts that are in the pic. ;)
DSC00227.jpg

DSC00103-1.jpg

I trimmed the bottom corner of the flair, where the front mud flap mounts. I also trimmed the inner fender liner at the rear of the front wheel well. This exposed the pinch seam. I folded over the pinch seam, as well as a small bracket that the mud flap mounted to.
Krawler13.jpg

Krawler1.jpg

It still rubs on the inner part of the front fender flair. It needs some minor trimming. The rear already has this trimming from the factory. First pic is the front, second pic is of the rear with the half moon shape made to clear the tire.
Krawler4.jpg

Krawler6.jpg

The rear is very close to rubbing, but so far clears everything except the mudflap.
Krawler7-1.jpg

Krawler9.jpg

Finished product. Well...it's never finished. :D
March46.jpg

CopyofMarch49.jpg

Got gears?

excellent post thanks very much, for some reason yours is pretty much the only cruiser i've seen taht looks to me like its got enough tire ;)

and... boy! straighen that licence plate out! dont need a new truck lookin like its missin bolts! :p

Don't have lower gears yet. It does need them now, though.
Like I mentioned, the tires only rub sightly in the places I pointed out. That is while on the trail and flexed out.
And for the crooked plate....well...ummm...ok, you got me. So I had a few beers while I was installing the new bumper and stuff. :D I might try to fix it....:beer:

Killer write up!!!! Thanks for the pics it helps out alot when someone else wants to go and follow along!!

Are you getting gears from Allpro? That is the most killer looking fj besides the ultimate adventure fj, that I have seen. Do you feel like you have enough power in the engine still, or are you going to need some horsepower modifications? I can't stop looking @ that bad boy, nice job man, one last question how much clearance is underneith now (diff height-body height-rocker panel height) I would love to drool over those measurements, I'm sure they are up there!! Rock on, I bet you can't wait for new gears.

I'm sure I'll get the gears soon. The power loss really isn't all that bad. The engine has plenty of low end torque. I've been driving it for a few weeks with them on, and it's actually quite livable. I will be throwing the 33's back on for my weekend adventure of towing a car trailer and Suzuki, though.
Haven't taken any clearance measurements yet. Guess I can go do that right now......

So, my driveway is not totally level, so these measurements aren't exact. ;)

Under the front stock skid plate: 15"
Under the crossover pipe: 17"
Under rear axle: 12"
Overall height: 80" 6' 8"
All measurements in inches for those of you stuck in the stone ages. :D

37's are way too big for the FJ.
IMO, it looks just right to me, helps even it out. Like said above, it finally looks like its got enough tire. Plus, they're tucked up inside the body and add some more ground clearance, what's not to like?

Id keep an eye on your inner sidewall on the front tires. Those tires should be rubbing your upper control arms when off road. bumps will compress the tire. Looks good sas time:beer:

So, my driveway is not totally level, so these measurements aren't exact. ;)

Under the front stock skid plate: 15"
Under the crossover pipe: 17"
Under rear axle: 12"
Overall height: 80" 6' 8"
All measurements in inches for those of you stuck in the stone ages. :D

15" up front, nice and 17" @ crossmember awesome, thanks so much for taking time to measure that, very impressive, appreciate it. Much needed clearance, good job. Now get on those gears, I want to hear trail reports:rolleyes:

that is officially the sexiest fj i have seen that still maintains most of the stock parts. I keep looking at this thread to oggle that bad boy.

I am eager to hear more about how this setup works over time.

Id keep an eye on your inner sidewall on the front tires. Those tires should be rubbing your upper control arms when off road. bumps will compress the tire. Looks good sas time:beer:
So far, no rubbing. The tire actually gets skinnier (if that's a word) when aired down, so the sidewall actually gets further away from the UCA.
I'm putting the 33's back on for the weekend, as I'm towing a loaded trailer (about 4700 lbs) for a few hour trek.
Not sure if lower gears are in the cards for a while. I may be buying an Atlas 4 speed transfercase to go with the Dana 60/14 bolt axles going into my 4Runner. That will drastically drain the $$$ department. :(

Not everyone will like the size of the tires. Thanx for the compliments, and critisism. I like it, and that's all that really matters, right?
ladysman.gif

Well, quite a few people have asked how I made them fit. So, here goes:
It still rubs on the inner part of the front fender flair. It needs some minor trimming. The rear already has this trimming from the factory. First pic is the front, second pic is of the rear with the half moon shape made to clear the tire.

The rear is very close to rubbing, but so far clears everything except the mudflap.
Finished product. Well...it's never finished. :D

What kind of range of articulation do you get on the front and the back? Did you have to change the bump stop locations? I think I read somewhere that you won't use this as your main or most "hard core" wheeler - what are you worried about re: the tires? Where is the next limit beyond the size you have on now (width, overall diameter, tread shape (boxy edge vs round?)?)

What kind of range of articulation do you get on the front and the back? Did you have to change the bump stop locations? I think I read somewhere that you won't use this as your main or most "hard core" wheeler - what are you worried about re: the tires? Where is the next limit beyond the size you have on now (width, overall diameter, tread shape (boxy edge vs round?)?)
I have the OME 3" heavy. It has a bit less flex than stock. I did not change my bump stops. No need. I can't fully compress the heavy springs, anyways. I won't be using this as my hardcore wheeler, because I have a bush truck to use. The Cruiser will be wheeled, but not hardcore like my 4Runner.
For fitting a bigger tire...it can be done, but with much more trimming. You would have to cut into the firewall/wheel well area. Most likely have to re-locate the dead pedal where you rest your left foot. Most likley have to remove the front flair completely. (I have a plan for this).
Rear would need pretty much the same treatment. It's mostly the edge of the tire that gives the grief. One might be able to get a 38/11.50 on there with the trimming that I have already done, but there isn't many tires in that size.

WOW! That thing looks SWEEEET! Now if we could just convince Toyota to produce them and new Tacoma's to fit at least a good sized 33" STOCK, and some decent gears :D.

They DO fit a 33" tire stock. That's what I started with. I had Goodyear MTR's 285/70/17 (which equals 33/11/17) on the stock aluminum rims with no lift, and no trimming. They don't rub at all, even under extreme flex. ( I say extreme, but it's stock flex) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom