Axle swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! I just bought a 67 fj40 about 2 weeks ago and plan restore it. It is in very good shape. 2.5 lift,It has a chevy 305 and a chevy 4 speed trany. Toyota transfer case and axles and 35x 12.50 tires. I was wondering what would be the best axle swap for my rig, Chevy , Dodge, Ford? I want to do this for a couple of reasons. 1 I would like to have the slightly wider stance and 4 wheel disk brakes. I own a machine shop so fabrication is not a problem. Any help would be great. Thanks!:confused:

you can get rear disc brakes for toyotas pretty cheap... putting all that under the rig is going to take a considerable amount of work, outboarding and new steering as well i've never seen a sprung under build using dana 60's or corp. 14 bolts... you'd probably have to go sprung over, new steering (probably saginaw) and probably a few things i'm forgetting..

is this going to be a dd? because if it isn't you might be able to just get wider rims/tires or different backspacing and just do a quick rear disc brake conversion.

dana 60 up front with a corp. 14 bolt in the rear because there cheap and easy to find.

dana 60 up front with a corp. 14 bolt in the rear because there cheap and easy to find.

Let me know when you find a cheap Dana 60 front axle there bandy…I would be in for a few.

Let me know when you find a cheap Dana 60 front axle there bandy…I would be in for a few.

i didn't say 60's were cheap i guess i didn't add a ","

as in i would put a dana 60 up front, and put a 14 bolt in the rear because they are cheap.

best upgrade may be later model 40 axles and disc brakes all around you can upgrade to longfields for heavy wheeling but for a dd and all around wheeling toyota stuff works great for me i runn 35s and 38s no problems and 4wheel discs on my 70 and 2 69s the 70 is used for everything including plowing driveways and has held up well but its your choice good luck

I heard that the 67s were a little more difficult to put disks on the front so I would want to swap it out for something that will work. I was thinking dana 60 but what do I use for the back with the diff offset to the right side?

Welcome.

What are you really planning on doing with this truck?

Dana 60's are not really needed until you start really pounding your truck with 40's or bigger...

You could find a rear axle from a Quadra-trac jeep. It will be a low pinion 44. That would be offset to the passenger side, or you are looking at changing your transfer case, building a custom offset rear axle, or running your driveshaft at an angle.

60 series wagon axles can be swapped under the truck, there is information in the FAQ on this, along with information on axle options.

I will be using it to ride the local trails here just north of Houston, Spring Creek - San Jacinto river area. I also want to be able to drive to work every now and then. I am just after something that wont leave me footing it on the trails and be able to take it on the freeway if I want. I have always been bad at overkilling everything I do though. I do have a complete machine shop with everything possible to do the work, manual mills and lathes, cnc mills and lathes, saw shop and weld shop and I am not afraid to do any of the work. I just want to use the right parts for the easiest and the best set up. I plan on doing a SOA and running at least 36 or 38 inch tires, power steering and 4 wheel disk brakes. I dont want to just spend money like a mad man but I do want to do it right.

Last edited:
60 series axles good idea i didn't even think about that... i always think either stock axles or Gigundo axles... i forget to look at the "in between"...

i good source of 60 and 70 danas is 60s power wagons 1 tons 1 old yard here had several till we discovered them they generally have 411s to 4.56 gears and are made by dana some axle parts interchange with gm however they are wide but with your shop that shouldnt be a problem good luck

Come out this Saturday to the softball field parking lot at Memorial Park. Be there around 2pm. Look for the Land Cruisers. You will be glad you did. So will we.

you will only run into a couple of problems if you go to a 60 front and 14 bolt rear. if you leave the 4 speed and yota t-case in it, it won't be such a problem. your drive shaft will be short. the housing on the 14 bolt is pretty long. sticks out quite aways in front of axles, the other thing is ground clearence. you will lose a little also. with the 60 and 14 bolt. with my auto and 205 t-case. my back drive shaft is like 10"s long. thats why im redoing my rear and putting in a 4 link. just some advise. also leaving the yota t-case you will have angle shaft on the back. yota axles are off set. and everything else is usually in the middle. I left my axles full width. but i guess if you cut them down you can cut just one side and make it work.

I'm putting a set of FJ80 axles in a 40 in a couple weeks. Keep your eyes peeled for the build thread on it and see how you like it. Considerably wider with out having to go Chevy and do all that outboarding. The only draw back is the 80's funky steering, we'll be doing a hydraulic tie rod kinda deal but it can be made to work with conventional steering.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom