question about junkyard motors and the 3fe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Ok heres the deal someone sabotaged my motor in my fj62 found rocks under the valve cover.
I have a line on a motor in a junkyard out of a 90 cruiser. Was a good motor when pulled but it doesnt have the valve cover on it. So they wont warnty it. There asking $300 for it and they will deliver it to the junkyard i work at for free. about a hour each way drive. Basicly if they hadnt removed the valve cover when ever it got removed they would warnty it for 90 days. Suposed to have around 130,000 miles on it. I figure if i get it i would check the compression first then pull the head to look at everything inside it. Maybe reseat the valves new head gasket thermostat and the rest .

Would you all take the chance. Its alot easyer for me to come up with 300 then 600. I got great line on another motor trans combo but its 600 and have to drive to va. Im looking for oppinions

I'd just be wondering why they took the valve cover off if it was a good engine????? Doesn't make too much sense to me.

Sitting in the junkyard w/o a valve cover could lead to stuff getting inside - like rocks.

Don't want to go from the frying pan to the fire...

i found out the motor is still in the truck only the valve cover is off and all the accesorys are gone. What do you think about me doin compression test on it and if it comes out ok pull the heads and oil pan anyways to check everything and reseat the valves?

Again, any reason as to why they would just pull the valve cover?

If you do a compression test and they all come out okay, then I'd probably just try to run it. I don't know why you'd necessarily need to reseat the valves. Just check the lash and go.

i found out the motor is still in the truck only the valve cover is off and all the accesorys are gone. What do you think about me doin compression test on it and if it comes out ok pull the heads and oil pan anyways to check everything and reseat the valves?
was it sitting outside ,the motor that is.it may have a stuck valve or 2 anyway.i would like you said do the compression check.and go from there.how long did it set:confused:

$ 300 bucks ...... go for it it's a 3fe with that one and the one you already have you gotta be-able to get a good running eng out of them ...... why not

Well, if they really just took it off to sell it to someone, then that's different than something was potentially wrong with it and someone was tinkering.

I'd say go for it.

Do you even know what is wrong with yours? It might just need head work or something.

my motor has 263,987 miles on it. No matter what it needs replaced . It been getting worse and worse. If i pull it apart right now . And dont have a motor to go in it. And something major is wrong . I will be without transportation to and from work. Cant have that I like my job first time long time i liked a job. The motor is sitting in the cruiser with the hood on the truck.

Agent orange. someone put rocks in my valve cover where you put oil in the motor. Ive had lots of smoke for a hile now when i start the truck. But now I have nothing hapening in one of my celynder. I done made shore i got spark going to the plug and everything. But the plugs justing getting gas soaked and not igniteing the fuel in the combustion chamber. Trucks running worse and worse everyday. Im about ready to go back to heeps got my eye on a wagoner yeah yell at me now and give me encuragement to fix my truck

How far is your work commute???

To far that i dont wana walk. And im limited on how much time can be wasted getting home. My son is handicaped and in a wheelchair. I have to be at the house by 3 oclock everyday for the bus.No matter what,. And the job i have . agrement was i leaVE AT 2:45 EVERYDAY TO MAKE IT. AND ITS PUSHING IT TO THE LIMIT.

opps sorry for the caps.

also does anyone no of someplace i could get a hotter cam for the 3fe? that will still work with the fuel injection and stuff? ive got free flowing exhuast custom by torch thankyou. and 34 inch tires stock gearing with my old motor sucked like hell in the mountains on vacation.

WckedMidas, sounds to me like you should go for it and hope for the best. I'd hate to see you w/o a truck and not be able to get to work or not be able to get home to your son on time.

Best luck! :cheers:

You should take the valve cover off and turn the motor over and see what the valves in the dead cylinder are doing. Maybe you wiped a lobe off the cam. Or a valve is stuck or something. It might string you along enough to give you time to get another motor lined up. I would say the junkyard 80 motor is a good bet. Are you sure that everything swaps from the 80 to the 62? Might be worth asking in the 80 section to make sure.

Get your s*** together... all your problems and inquiring on a cam?? plus taking a gamble on a used motor........ s***!!

well if i get it . I will be pulling the head off no matter what and replaceing the head gasket. Also i want to pull the oil pan and do rear main seal. if everything looks good I would be intrested in alittle more power out of it. I will have it apart and if the cam doesnt cost that much . Why not. I have a friend who is helping me do all the work and putting it back together.
But ya still didnt say fi they make a bigger cam or not.

Youll have to get a regrind. I think mark w has a source.

acording to the interchange at the junkyard i work at the motors from 88 to 94 are the same but im gonna ask in the 80s section .

Also did the 80s have any more power then the fj62?

hey orange we had the valve cover off and the motor running looking at everything. everything looks like its in working order. nothing broke or bent all rockers moveing same amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom