rear axle swaps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am doing some research on swapping a stronger rear axle in place of stock 85 unit. i am thinking of trading a modded mustang for an 85 xcab with 383 and 39 inch boggers. i am worried about the rear end snapping. are there some bolt up axles out there that i can reuse the same wheels and not modify anything.

I guess I'm just a die hard Toy man,

Me, v6 diff from a TRD, cable locker from Downey, no computers, no motors, no electronics to buy and fry with water.

Get some crazy :bounce: shafts and drive it like you OWN it.

Don't even think about a 10 bolt chev.

I just got a LC fj80, parked it in place of my hit&run in my drive way 4runner that I painted the wheel loacatons with, a chalk out line if you will.

My Fj80's wheel & tires, track width, are allmost the same.

Don't know right off the r&p dia. can't use a fj80 (off set case) but try a LC fj60 (split case) rear.

Last edited:
i am doing some research on swapping a stronger rear axle in place of stock 85 unit. i am thinking of trading a modded mustang for an 85 xcab with 383 and 39 inch boggers. i am worried about the rear end snapping. are there some bolt up axles out there that i can reuse the same wheels and not modify anything.

Huh...

Toyota Rear Axles Have A Break/ Shatter Poit Of 8000+ Foot Pounds Of Pressure/ Or Maybe Its Torqe....

If Your Afraid Of Braking Them Still? Longfields, Or Newfields.

Are You Trying To Make A Hot Rod, Or Rock Crawler?

it's a mud machine, no rocks in houston area, it's going to be a daily driver as well.

they may be rated at that but wouldn't big tires and v8 power amplify the torque and make things easier to snap. what about the gears.

A friend of mine built an 85 toyota extra cab with a chevy crate motor and holly pro feul injection in the early 90's. It had the toyota trans and drive train with 36's and air lockers. He had brake problems in the begining but that was it. He sold it a few years later to a young kid who beat the heck out of it. He knocked the rear out twice, but never hurt the axles.

Roughly, deduct a 10th of ratio for each inch in tire.

It is rough becouse of all the variables

Waa.....my 31" is only 30.7"...............:crybaby:

Are they 4:10's or 4:11's , the age old question, etc,etc.

Put a tape on 39's with a 8"-10"-12" wide wheel.

Last edited:
this truck had a turbo motor in it before, i read that the third member are the same as the v6

They "wher" 4:10's with a 28" tire

using the old 1/10th per inch rule.

They'r "now" 3:00's with a 39" tire

IF..............I did my math right :hillbilly:

Follow the weak link up the DT

They still are 4.10s........ tire size doesnt change the gear ratio at all just a final drive ratio- bad example.

Roughly, deduct a 10th of ratio for each inch in tire.

It is rough becouse of all the variables

Waa.....my 31" is only 30.7"...............:crybaby:

Are they 4:10's or 4:11's , the age old question, etc,etc.

Put a tape on 39's with a 8"-10"-12" wide wheel.

age old question? no, they did vary the gear ratio at one time.

this truck had a turbo motor in it before, i read that the third member are the same as the v6

should be the bigger diff, unless someone changed it. search for a pic of a V6 diff and compare the carrier, I beleive it has 4 ribs per side and the 4 cyl has 3 per

V6/Turbo diff are the same.

what 2G.T.F said.

They still are 4.10s........ tire size doesnt change the gear ratio at all just a final drive ratio- bad example.

age old question? no, they did vary the gear ratio at one time.

If the final drive DOESENT change then why in the H*LL does the spedometer
read different when I put my big O tires on it?.............Bad example?

Why dont I get better gas milage? whoops!

Why does my transmission act like its taking off in 3rd gear? OH sorry, wrong again.

Those things I said are ALL variables that is why I said "ROUGHLY"

you must lead a very privleged life. I have gotten my self in many arguments over tha fact that some people think toys all have 4:10s or 4:11s(a variable)
all this makes a difference when you are trying to figure things out you must have a base to base your information on not just opinion.

If I based my math on 4:11s youd scream im stupid and wrong (a variable)
If I based my math on 4:10s youd get confused (a variable)

Are all tires the exact measurement they say on the sidewall in your world?

they sure as heckfire aint in myan.

Is that worded better?

OK deduct 20/10ths per inch in gear ratio.

I ment 39s on a stock axle is JUST like riding around with a 2:9? gear with a 28" tire.

OH, sorry the "FINAL DRIVE" is the same as a 2:9? gear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom