FJZ80 Valve Rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How difficulty is it to do a valve adjustment on my 96 FZJ. I get a little rattle at low RPM's. I've gotta replace the valve cover gasket so i figure i should take care of that. The 80 has 183K on the Odometer it has a couple of leaks but other than that runs great. I'm sure she is probably overdo for an adjusment.

Does the haynes manual have good instrctions on how to do it? Should i take it to my mechanic?

EZ to do yourself, I think you can probably do a search here, or get a Haynes manual. Although I haven't done it to me '80, I did adjust the valves on my several '40's, '60 and '62 with no problems. Just don't get them too tight.

Valve rattle

The FZJ80 4.5 motor is different from the 4.2 and the 4.0. It has shims under the cams, there is no set screw to adjust.

How difficulty is it to do a valve adjustment on my 96 FZJ. I get a little rattle at low RPM's. I've gotta replace the valve cover gasket so i figure i should take care of that. The 80 has 183K on the Odometer it has a couple of leaks but other than that runs great. I'm sure she is probably overdo for an adjusment.

Does the haynes manual have good instrctions on how to do it? Should i take it to my mechanic?

I also get a little "chatter", I think these engines are just inherently a little noisy that way.

If you're going to do work like this, you should buy the FSM. I just replaced my valve cover gasket and checked my clearances this last weekend. Not to tough a job, except replacing the spark plug tube seals is a little bit of a pain. To actually change out the valve shims (if you have some that are out of spec.) requires a couple of special service tools that will run you about $100.

:beer:
Rookie2

Valve Rattle

So your saying your chatters a little with less than 100K on it. So mine should be good then too...

So your saying your chatters a little with less than 100K on it. So mine should be good then too...

Yes. I expected to find some clearances out of the specified range, but I was kind of suprised. For the most part, my clearances were right in the middle of the range, with a few right at the top end of the range. I'm not 100% sure what the source of the chatter is, but from other comments it seems to be pretty common for these motors. I've been meaning to get the stethescope out and do some listening.. maybe this weekend.

Yes. I expected to find some clearances out of the specified range, but I was kind of suprised. For the most part, my clearances were right in the middle of the range, with a few right at the top end of the range. I'm not 100% sure what the source of the chatter is, but from other comments it seems to be pretty common for these motors. I've been meaning to get the stethescope out and do some listening.. maybe this weekend.

Check out the idler pulley, just left of the alternator. Remove it to rule it out. The belts will tighten fine without it. I actually ran mine about 20k without one.

Check out the idler pulley, just left of the alternator. Remove it to rule it out. The belts will tighten fine without it. I actually ran mine about 20k without one.

Good idea. I do tend to think it's from the front end somewhere, and I think I've put a stethescope in the engine before without hearing anything like tapping. I've got a new AC idler, and OEM belts, so the AC idler would be a good place check, and it don't cost nothing.

:beer:
Rookie2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom