How smooth is your idle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently put a new head on my 60, runs great but has a somewhat shacky idle, today I went out and went thru everything- compression is good, retorqued the manifold, and went to re-adjust the valves-they were all fine, did the lean drop on the carb( as best as I could), and went thru the FSM on the emisions systems,( EGR system disconnected too), it's like I said a little shacky and inconsistant-not like the typical vacume leak that has that oscilating rpm change, i'm stumped, it's not real bad but something just doesn't seem rite to me, Just how smooth should it be?

How is your seal on the carb to intake manifold? Same thing on your exaust manifold.

John

How is your seal on the carb to intake manifold? Same thing on your exaust manifold.

John
All fresh gaskets , carb & plenum- everything nice and tight, sprayed carb cleaner around wtth no result- I can't nail this one down.

mine's smooth as butter---- but then again I just had the engine rebuilt. (balance and blueprinted). Good luck

It's always a good idea to set your timing when you adjust valves.

John

how are the fuel pump and fuel filter looking? how fresh are the ingnition parts and are they OEM?

Mine is smooth with a SOR cam and Header...

how are the fuel pump and fuel filter looking? how fresh are the ingnition parts and are they OEM?
Fuel pump has about 20,000 miles on it, the filter has about half that, seems to be pretty clean. It's got new plugs (NGK ), new wires and cap & rotor, I checked for the "return" on the distributer, , when the rotor is twisted that's ok other than that I have not checked the coil or igniter though the spark is pretty strong, the thing runs like a top except at idle. Do you suppose it could be the igniter, or maybe something inside the distributer?

Mines smooth also with headers.Once it wasn't and I looked for the easiest.It sounds like you're a real good wrench so I can't tell you.Someone told me that if the distributor gets worn it can idle a little rough.

Fuel pump has about 20,000 miles on it, the filter has about half that, seems to be pretty clean. It's got new plugs (NGK ), new wires and cap & rotor, I checked for the "return" on the distributer, , when the rotor is twisted that's ok other than that I have not checked the coil or igniter though the spark is pretty strong, the thing runs like a top except at idle. Do you suppose it could be the igniter, or maybe something inside the distributer?

from what I understand the igniter either works or it doesnt. so i think you can cancel that one off your list.

I'm in the same boat. I just had the head rebuilt (valve job) and after reinstalling the head, I have a slight miss at idle. The funny thing is, it runs perfect when I first start it and then within a couple of minutes it starts the irregular idle. It's less noticeable with the A/C on, probably because the idle is higher. I can't find a vacuum leak and the valves are adjusted. The only thing I haven't changed is the fuel filter and the plug wires, so they're next. I've had people suggest looking at the TPS , throtle possition sensor, which I haven't done, so if you get to the bottom of it, let us know and I'll do the same.

Purrrrrrrrrrrsssssssss... then again, my 2F crate motor only has about 12K on it...

I burn oil at the rate of a qurt every 1000 miles.

But as long as I keep the plugs clean she runs and idles just fine.

The oil ring might be shot but the compression is still good so I guess it will be at least 350000 before I pull her down.

I'm in the same boat. I just had the head rebuilt (valve job) and after reinstalling the head, I have a slight miss at idle. The funny thing is, it runs perfect when I first start it and then within a couple of minutes it starts the irregular idle. It's less noticeable with the A/C on, probably because the idle is higher. I can't find a vacuum leak and the valves are adjusted. The only thing I haven't changed is the fuel filter and the plug wires, so they're next. I've had people suggest looking at the TPS , throtle possition sensor, which I haven't done, so if you get to the bottom of it, let us know and I'll do the same.
Yes, my idle is smooth until I drive around for about ten or so minutes, then gets a little rough, so it's got to be temperature related somehow, I went thru all the emission connections again today-they were all in order. One thing that is kind of strnge is I did drive around for a half hour or so with the wierd idle, I parked and stated it back up, it idled fairly smooth but at around 500 RPM, ( usualy idles about 850 as that's the smoothest I could dial it in at), and about ten minutes of driving later it returned to it's shakey yet higher idle. I don't know-but when ( if ) I get this figured out I'll let you know.-meanwhile any input would still be appriciated.

Yeah, I thought all 60's had to utilize the left foot on the clutch, right foot on the brake and gas, to get it to stop and stay running. (Man, I've got problems)

Yeah, I thought all 60's had to utilize the left foot on the clutch, right foot on the brake and gas, to get it to stop and stay running. (Man, I've got problems)

mine is that with the choke out a lil bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom