Harbor Freight 2 ton cherry picker & 2f (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John McVicker

SILVER Star
Threads
Why do you think this lift would have this warning : suitable for 4 cly engines & MOST 6 cly engines.

This is their 2 ton, 4,000 lb. lift for $199. They also have a one ton for $159 on sale for $99. So, while this 2 ton job might not be the best one around, you certainly would think it could handle a 2f. But with that disclaimer, it makes you wonder. I've not bought one b-4 but it looks pretty stout.

Any thoughts b-4 I look elsewhere ?

Thanks, jJohn McVicker

I have the compact 2 ton. Works great on a 2f..

i've got the folding 2ton...been using it for years on 2fs and v8s, no issues

I got a folding 2 ton from China-likely made in the same factory as the HF one. I recently pulled the 2F, bellhousing, SM420, and t-case as one unit. No problems.

IMG_5235.jpg

Thanks, good info. I was thinking this had to be beefy enough.

Thanks, John

oooohhhhhoooohhhh....engine swap pics....can i play? :grinpimp:

i had a red one like yours i think. does yours have the bolts that unbolt the legs and they slide out? if so, it's a tad different in design but basically the same thing. every motor i've stabbed has included trans and tcase, also

only picker i won't ever recommend is the old school breakdown ones where the top bar hooks onto the main frame. we used one of those to pull the f from my 68 and the clevis busted off. the sudden release of all that weight sent the top bar catapulting about 15 feet in the air. :eek:
P6010008.JPG
DSC01485.JPG

Sorry (not really) for the hijacking, but do y'all use an engine leveler to lower and install an engine? When I picked up my engine hoist from a private party he threw one in. But it scares the crap out of me when I notice the bend in the threaded part that moves the center of gravity to tilt the engine one way or another. Looks like it's ready to break in half at any second, and that's not even with the bell housing, tranny & xfer case (and PTO) attached, just the engine.

i had a red one like yours i think. does yours have the bolts that unbolt the legs and they slide out? if so, it's a tad different in design but basically the same thing. every motor i've stabbed has included trans and tcase, also

The red one I have looks exactly like the orange one in your picture. The legs pivot on bolts and are held in place by pins. It's low tech and strong looking. I only paid $139 for mine and got a $20 rebate. I've used it for lots of lifts other than motors-don't know how I got along without it! The fold up leg feature is a must. It would be difficult to store without that.

Looks good. More pics. We need more pics. I don't have any yet.

John

just used my $125 china special to pull my whole 2f, transfer, trans assembly. no probs- definatley use a load leveler, helps a bunch...

BTW I had to leave the swap unexpectedly and left my vortec/trans assembly hanging in the engine bay overnight one night. china special held with no problems at all....:D

Sorry (not really) for the hijacking, but do y'all use an engine leveler to lower and install an engine? When I picked up my engine hoist from a private party he threw one in. But it scares the crap out of me when I notice the bend in the threaded part that moves the center of gravity to tilt the engine one way or another. Looks like it's ready to break in half at any second, and that's not even with the bell housing, tranny & xfer case (and PTO) attached, just the engine.
i've got a cheapy, used it a couple times. don't like it. so i go without now.

My turn to hijack now. I'll be pulling a 2f in a week or two, without the tranny attached. I haven't done this in about 15 years... I'll be using a leveler. Where do you attach to the engine? Bolt on to the head? Any idea what size bolts these are? If you've got pics that would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I was at Northern tool yesterday, The had a simlilar 2 ton puller on sale for $150. They also had a 1500 lb folding engine stand (Torin big red) that looked alright, on sale for $70 (I picked one up).

I bought up a Torin 2 ton folding hoist for $150 at the local Autozone a few days ago, which again looks similar to the HF hoist and the Northern tool one. I can't say much as I haven't put it together yet. My local HF did not stock the 2 ton puller or their 2 ton stand. Anway, call a few places and save a couple of bucks.

Jeff-the 2F shoudl have hooks on both ends of the motor. Mine was missing the rear hook and so we wrapped the motor with a strap. A chain would work just as well.

If it' coming out of a 40, take up tension on the motor and lift it off the rear mounts, then unbolt the mounting ears from the bellhousing. Then you tip the back of the motor down and lift it all out. Only in a late 40 or a 60 can you leave the tranny in place and pull the motor, since there is a crossmember to support the tranny and t-case.

this is when too much is too much

Heres what happens when you put a little too much on one :eek:
ecrane.jpg

Jeff-the 2F shoudl have hooks on both ends of the motor. Mine was missing the rear hook and so we wrapped the motor with a strap. A chain would work just as well.

Andy, thanks for the tips! It's a 40 that I'm parting out, and it's missing both of the hooks. I had a hard time seeing in your picture where you hooked on in the front. Is the front hook on the left side of the head? If so I'll maybe I'll throw in a couple of bolts and hook on to that I guess. The strap in the rear is a good idea, thanks again. :cheers:

Heres what happens when you put a little too much on one :eek:
Reminds me of the last one I rented...
I think someone used it to pull a 3406 cat on an unlevel surface...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom