2H Questions from a new owner! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.oregongrain.com
Just bought a rig with a 82 HJ47 with a 2H in it. I have been reading a ton in this section and have learned a lot, but I still have some general questions for the group.

The engine has 115,000 Km (72,000 miles) on it.

I have a big family. 2 adults 2 kids, and 2 large breed dogs. So we wanted something unique, big, and good gas mileage. We want a family runner / expedition vehicle. That being said here is my upgrade sheet in chronological order.

Biodiesel
Pyrometer
AXT Turbo with intercooler.
Boost guage
H55 5 speed
3" lift
34" tires

Questions I have.

Will i need to upgrade the fuel line to a synthetic hose? Or is it fill it up with bio and see what happens?

With the stock gear axles, should I upgrade to 4.56s to keep the powerband for the diesel?

Is there anything I used do as for preventive maintainence? I have the 2H manual downloaded.

Thanks for your input

1. Congrats and welcome to MUD and Diesel world ! :D

2. You have agreat engine .. :D

3. 4.11 + Turbo + 33" - 34" tires = perfect conbination !

4. Stock lines are good

5. change all oils and go !

Just bought a rig with a 82 HJ47 with a 2H in it. I have been reading a ton in this section and have learned a lot, but I still have some general questions for the group.

The engine has 115,000 Km (72,000 miles) on it.

my upgrade sheet in chronological order.

Biodiesel
Pyrometer
AXT Turbo with intercooler.
Boost guage
H55 5 speed
3" lift
34" tires

Questions I have.

Will i need to upgrade the fuel line to a synthetic hose? Or is it fill it up with bio and see what happens?

With the stock gear axles, should I upgrade to 4.56s to keep the powerband for the diesel?

Is there anything I used do as for preventive maintainence? I have the 2H manual downloaded.

Thanks for your input

We have almost the identical vehicles and intentions. I have an '82 HJ47 with 72K km on it. I'd really be interested in collaborating with you through out this process, since we have similar projects. That said...

You can probably run blends of biodiesel in the HJ47 without issues with the lines. I've been running about a 25% blend for a couple months. However, since I want to run 100%, and there are issues with that and rubber lines, I am in the process of swapping lines. I am following the information posted here:

http://www.longnow.org/rhino/BioDiesel-FuelLineReplace.htm

Also, here is the Napa part numbers for all your filters:

2H/12HT filter numbers
Napa Gold Air Filter 2159 (see air filter post below)
Napa Gold Fuel Filter 3393 (Good for 13BT too)
Napa Gold Oil Filter 1627 - Cross from LF3399 and Toyota 15601-68010

Pasted from <https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?p=465710>

I am in the process of installing an ISSPRO Pyrometer I bought from:

http://www.dieselmanor.com

I will be posting part numbers and pictures once I get it done.

One of the things I am doing to my HJ47 that you didn't mention is upgrading to disc brakes, at least in the front. I am in the process of buying a set of axles to do that switch, so I don't have to bring the vehicle down for an extended period when I do that.

Oh, and here's a pic of the "Lunchbox":

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/warfin/Misc/IMG_0767.jpg

Good luck!
Andy

Thanks for the info! I thought about upgrading to disc brakes, but I want to see the performance of the drums. They are huge and may work without having to bother!

Are you going to keep the rack on your 47?

What is your eta on your upgrades? Have you found a good dealer for the AXT? I was thinking of using Radd or kodiak based out of BC.

Here is a link to mine
http://toymoco.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=11&pos=89

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I thought about upgrading to disc brakes, but I want to see the performance of the drums. They are huge and may work without having to bother!

Are you going to keep the rack on your 47?

What is your eta on your upgrades? Have you found a good dealer for the AXT? I was thinking of using Radd or kodiak based out of BC.

Here is a link to mine
http://toymoco.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=11&pos=89

Nice truck! Looks a lot like mine, except with nicer paint.

I'm keeping the rack. I've been welding bits on there to facilitate some things - I'm adding a work light in the back, and building it up for a rooftop tent. I also have a nice awning setup.

My goal with the upgrades is a "stable 70." Turbo is low on my list. I've been watching some of the group buy options that have been developing in this forum.

My truck runs well, but it has some routine fueling issues. I'm going to have the EGT gauge, new injectors, and probably the fuel line installed in the next two weekends. That should give me a picture of fueling the 2H.

I'm buying a set of axles from another mudder. They have front disks and 3.70 gears. I currently have 4.11 in there now and I rarely use first gear. The axles will be here in a couple weeks. I'm going to add lockers, rear disc brakes to the axle mix. Since I have separate axles I can get them ready to install and still enjoy the truck.

At the time I install the axles, I'm going to go for an OME 2.5" lift and 33" tires. That should hold me for awhile. I plan to have axles done and installed by the end of May. After that it gets too hot to do much around here.

Later, I plan to come back around to the engine and turbo and H55.

You're quite a bit closer to Canada, so I bet you have better options for parts and upgrades.

After selling my FJ60 and getting an FJ40, since sold as well, I've been wanting to get back into the LC game. Then I came upon all those HJ47's on ebay and I'm seriously considering one.

Just as you all, I'd do a turbo, OME and 33's, as well as try to find ways to lighten it up a bit to improve mileage. I will be running 100% homemade bio as well, and plan to use it as an interesting company truck for my vintage furniture store. How big are the beds in these things btw?

What's the performance like in comparison to an FJ60 with high miles. I was fairly content with it, but do these things drive like hogs?

Anyone have a photo of a lifted Troopie? Why do they call them Troopies anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom