meeting minutes-march edition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
we had a smaller turn out this time, but still good. thanks to the Bingham's for hosting. 2 new prospective members showed up- Paul and Trevor. Paul has an 80 and Trevor a 2nd Gen 4Runner. Paul expressed interest in the snow run coming up.

our March run is set for next Saturday the 10th. maybe our last snow run of the year. we are looking at heavy snow melt this week, so we planned to try some more trails in the Fenton Lake/ Cuba district again. we should have at least 1 stock vehicle with us, so we avoided Paliza and it's tank traps. same regular meeting schedule- 9am at north portal/10:15-10:30 at La Cueva(hwy 4/hwy 126).

April meeting- the first weekend is Easter weekend, so we planned for the 14th. we do not yet have a host. who wants to volunteer?

April run- set for Saturday the 21st. this will be a shakedown run for those going to 'Cruise Moab' as well, so have your mods done early to test them out with the club.:D

May meeting- set for the week after CM, Saturday the 12th, set to be at the Ashcrafts.
May run of course is Cruise Moab.

Evan did a TLCA report. they are making their meetings every other month to cut costs of the conference call, which exceed $600 each. next one is later this month. Kowboy is no longer the secretary, so meeting minutes will probably be dry again.:D also TLCA is trying to strike deals with dealerships to give issues of TT to Toyta 4x4 buyers and possibly have the dealership buy each one a year membership. opinion was voiced that American and Dan have done a ton for our club and TLCA and this may be pushing it, but Evan will speak to Dan about it. we may work on Karl Malone Toyota (although it is the same owner, Larry Miller).

i will be contacting Skipper about stickers, since we have some inquiries and new members that need them.

anything i missed? we didn't get to discussing the Colorado trip yet.

So, do I read that 3/10 is the next HDC run?

I just got a set of snow chains...may be the last chance this winter to try them out.

I hope to be attending the April meeting to introduce myself and my truck which will hopefully be in better shape then than it is now....

I won't be able to make the April 21st run, but I am on the "waiting list" for CM07. If I don't get into CM07 "legally" I'll be pre-reunning that week and will then wander off into NV and then in CA on week of roadtrippin'.

Best regards.
-onur
Oberlin, OH

Jim -

This Saturday March 10 - we'll be snow-running. Bring the chains and give them a try.

Onur - We're looking forward to meeting you soon. I hope Cruise Moab works out for you - we'll have a pretty good group of High Desert Cruisers there. In any case, there's always CM08, and you'll be a lot closer here than on Ohio!

Evan

"...we didn't get to discussing the Colorado trip yet."

When ya do I hope you'll discuss the Salida area.

juane

Yeah! Then I could drive the Accord, get 30 mpg and not worry about how wheelin' would cut into my fishing time.

So, the CO trip could be surrounding Salida? I think we would need some reference to a location a bunch of us could stay at.

W, no bitching about KOA if you're not going. Again.

We should also talk about the Red River area and just make Fish drive down to meet us. Then we don't have to drive as far and we (I) can try something new.

Then we don't have to drive as far ...

The ride in those FJ60's must be brutal. I can understand Greg's constant complaining about how long our club drives are 'cause his 60 is modified but yours is stock so this is puzzling. Is it that those leaf spring suspensions have deteriorated over the years?

-Mike-

I wouldn't go as far saying they are brutal but I wouldn't say they are anywhere close to pleasant (while on pavement). No overdrive, low power, crappy worn out seats, lots of wind/road noise, the fear of losing a PS pump/air injection pump/whatever 400 miles from Albuquerque...... If I can travel somewhere in my more comfortable car that will cruise (with cruise control) at 80 and still get more than double the fuel mileage of my 60, I will. If I need the space and off-road capabilities of the 60 wherever I'm going, I'll drive that.

Oh yeah, Red River is in New Mexico so I won't have to buy an expensive out-of-state fishing license either.

Marc

The ride in those FJ60's must be brutal. I can understand Greg's constant complaining about how long our club drives are 'cause his 60 is modified but yours is stock so this is puzzling. Is it that those leaf spring suspensions have deteriorated over the years?

Just to set the record straight for any lurkers, I've tired of long drives due to whining kids in the back seat. A V8, 5 speed and new front seats make the 60 a world-class road machine.

Unless people are merely wanting to get thier fill of Texas accents there's no reason for a trip to Red River. BTDT.

... I've tired of long drives due to whining kids in the back seat. ...

Portable DVD players (and a good selection of kids' movies) and Benadryl are amazing. Although, the DVD player is only useful on kids ~2 years or older. You're pretty much SOL with an infant in diapers.

Iron Butt

I can understand Greg's constant complaining about how long our club drives are...

Ya know, after I thought about it I probably deserve the Iron Butt award within this group. I challenge anyone to demonstrate more long road trip miles in their Cruiser than I've done in the last 6 six years.

Ya know, after I thought about it I probably deserve the Iron Butt award within this group. I challenge anyone to demonstrate more long road trip miles in their Cruiser than I've done in the last 6 six years.

Ya don't get medals for self mutilation...

;)

I'm for that challenge! We made quite a few trips from Chicago out West to AZ, CO, UT, NV, North to Bnaff, Canada, East to the Carolinas, South to Florida, etc..:flipoff2:

80 miles are only worth 1/10th of a 60 mile. We're talking leaf springs, solid axles, carburettors, drum brakes, and no sound deadening. Not the same. :D

-Mike-

I'm for that challenge!

That I can think of and not counting day trips...

To/From Albuquerque:

Moab/Canyonlands (times 4)
Tucson
Jackson, WY/Seattle/Vancouver/Kelowna/Banff/Black Hills (5,500 total miles)
Sedona/Canyon de Chelly
Durango/Ouray
Denver (at least twice)
BHCC/Jackson, WY/Cheyenne (3,800 total miles)
Silver City/Globe/Showlow
Las Cruces/Alamogordo/Demming (at least twice)

I think somewhere between 40 and 50,000 total miles for these trips. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom