stuck in the mud. might look for another tire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I rarely go off road but this was a just a matter of my patients wearing thin and the fact I did not have the vehicle in 4x4 mode to begin with. A accident had occured backing up all the cars. Lo a behold a field was to my right with some kind of wooden fence next to it. I said good, go though field and then back onto the road. Total drive would be 20 seconds. Well it was a grassy field and just before I was to hop onto a area that was hard and compact from other cars my truck got stuck >:| Anyway, I put it in 4x4 mode and made almost no effect. The RR tire was dug well into the mud with the bumper almost on the ground. LR tire not as bad. Seems that fields while feel firm on top can be mushy underneath from a heavy rain. If I had a good mud tire what could have taken me out of this? The tires are just all season tires. Could lockers taken me out of this? The front tires were on the hardpan. Or new tires? Looking at MTR if not to expensive.

Ohh and the funny part I called BCAA and a small s-10 pickup with a warn winch came to pull me out. I thought the thing would drag to me but it had the pulling power to pull me out. BTW if I had a whinch I could have used the telephone pole 50 feet away if I did not bring the pole down.

Lockers!! At least that's my plan. The rear is done and the front will be limited slip once I get it installed.

an aussie in the rear and some mtrs, or geolander mt's or cooper discoverer stt's or whatever, would have made alot of difference.

Or putting it in 4x4 and a bit more commitment(speed) although that could have made it much worse, at least it doesnt look as bad as getting stuck in a grassy field. The thing is this is how we learn how are vehicles respond to different terrain - the hard way.

Any mud terrain would have helped over an all terrain imo. But maybe if you knew it was gonna be mud you could have pegged the gas a little harder and it wouldn't have happened. x2 on the locker as well. I had a detroit in my last toy pickup and it did so much better in the mud, even with the 22re pumping about 110 horsepower through 35"TSLs it still chugged through a lot more than I ever expected. I did however with that locker, dig myself much deeper than I would have with open diffs. Momentum is my best bet.

I think that the key would have been putting it in 4wd before you got stuck...
I'd bet that in this situation, a locker would have mostly just made both of your back tires dig deeper.
The part that seems odd to me is that you mention that the front tires were on hardpan. If you've got good traction up front, you should have been able to pull through. Did you have the hubs locked?

I think that the key would have been putting it in 4wd before you got stuck...
I'd bet that in this situation, a locker would have mostly just made both of your back tires dig deeper.
The part that seems odd to me is that you mention that the front tires were on hardpan. If you've got good traction up front, you should have been able to pull through. Did you have the hubs locked?[/QUOTE]

My question exactly. If they were, you could have a broken hub. Yes, good MT tires would help, lockers would help, too. The thing I've noticed over the years is that people who don't need and use these things (MTs/lockers) on a regular basis only get themselves stuck worse. HTH.

did you lock the front hubs when you tried it in 4WD? With the front hubs in the "free" postion, 4WD does nothing. With the front tires both on firm ground, you should have been able to pull your self out or at least you should have felt some effect. If you don't know about locking the hubs on the front wheels, first learn how to use your truck in 4WD before spending money on new tires.

X2, I dont see how you could dig a hole that would put the rear bumper on the ground without a front tire also digging in. You have some problem with the front axle. ie not locking it in.

Your hubs must have not been locked. The front tires would have done something, like these guys are saying.

yea, it was raining hard and went outside to lock the hubs. It did not seem to make to much of a difference. I may have to test them on a sandy beach and ask somone to see if all tires kick up sand when excellerating or put on a lift ? The transfer case was working this winter. Problem is the tires sucked on wet snow or up a incline. I think perhaps the tires need to be changes. How to the GY mtr's perform on the road? Are thay noisy? last long? I great some great stories about them.

BTW I had somone following me today and followed me home. At first this guy ask me something I asked "are you visiting some one in our complex?" I noticed the guy was driving a vx land cruiser. He said "I followed you" mmm okay. He wanted to know how I got my vehicle hight so high. Said it was the new set of Iron man spirings installed. I get the most unsual request or questions about my truck from other LC owners or previos owners. It is really not that special :)

So just to understand, you say you ingaged 4wd and locked both hubs and your front tires were on solid ground? Something dosn't add up...
Jonathan

If the front was engaged and on hardpan then the truck should have been bucking or jumping from a front wheel trying to spin. No tire is going to help until you figure out what up with your drive train

svo john and rekut,

As I recall it was locked but then, mabey it was to begin with and forgot about it. That may have been the case. It was locked in the hubs got stuck and then went out to turn the hubs. That probebly would have made sence. It was getting a little dark out and perhaps I did not see the arrows well enough. :) I normally leave them locked anyway during the winter and leave the gear in 2H. Heard it is safe this way.

BTW what do you guys think if i painted my Landcruiser a Emerald green with a blue accent in the pic I made? That is not my real color of my truck but I think it would look really interesting seein this color scheem.

big tires may help but if your rear bumper was almost on the ground then your diff was probably probably in the mud and 1 tire spinnig on the front probably wouldnt get you out every stuck is different check you front axle though then borrow a set of big tires and ttry that spot again same speed and see what happens . thats happened to us before and a week later same truck we make it through tires and lockers help but mother nature makes the final descisiongood luck

x2 on what shelfboy1 said.

as for tires- I have 33 x 10.5 BFG MTR's. They are not loud at all, and do great in every place I have taken them. Not sure they will be great in the snow, but for sand and mud they have performed like a champ. I am going to pick up a more narrow set for the snow season.

"I get the most unsual request or questions about my truck from other LC owners or previos owners. It is really not that special"

IT is a freakin disease. Once you get it it wont go away. I follow others and others follow me just to talk cruisers.

And the treatment is extremely expensive. I am always looking at new things to do to my truck, or thinking of other LC I want to buy.

I guess the one thing that I do really like about these old diesels is thay are very reliable to start and run. Alot of cars and trucks would have given up the ghost long ago and headed to the wrecking yard. Not the diesel cruiser though ;) Only complaint I have against this one is spring selection and rust. Ohh and these flat seats! I can push my finger into the center and feel the wire under my arse! Thay need to be either reapulstered with memory foam or replaced.

not that it hasn't already been said but, deffinately do the mtr's the only time i ever got stuck in my Taco was on at's BFG's at that which are still allaround a good tire but i expected a little more from them then turning into mud dognuts (and that was with a rear locker) got the MTR's and a winch and haven't been stuck sence, came close but.....
IMHO get the tires first (and make sure your actually in 4wd) then if u play enough spend the $$$ on a locker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom