Lwb Pu What Year (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kkt

Threads
Still trying to decide what year this truck is. The vin plate is missing, the frame number is welded over. I know that the hood, fenders,bed and tailgate are later model. There is not a date stamped on the wiper motors. I have gotten responses that it looks like a 66 or to it is a 64-65 year. Any experts out there?
IMGP3638.JPG
IMGP3639.JPG
IMGP3655.JPG

Well I'm not an expert, but looking at the windshield frame with the vent in the bottom, that to the best of my knowledge is 65 or earlier. The dash is definitely early, so I would say 65 or earlier, but that's just my .02??? You never know what's been replaced though, I know that my 65 SWB has funky vent windows on the drivers / pass that don't pivot like the ones in the pics, rather pivot on the front to kick the window out 1.5" in the front to direct air right in, so ???

My 63 FJ40 has that windshield frame but my doors have a different wind wing, the steering column is identical to the one I had in my 77 FJ40. So, who knows the exact year, definately early 60's.

post pics of the front frame crossmember right under the bib, the fire wall, and the steering box mount...

you definetly have a mix of parts as for what was availible in the states, so some pics would help id the different parts.

the column is definetly later, at least 9/'72 or newer, and the bed may be later is the markers are not factory installed.

I'm not an expert either, but I think you have a little mixture of parts.

I looked at those pics you sent me in link also. I think everything you have there is old school stuff (pre 65) except:

Box - marker lights on the side, rear tail lights are 75 new and 4 hinge. Maybe someone will correct me if I am wrong, but the box is 75 or newer.

Hood - should be split hood I think?

Front turn signals - 75 newer, should be the old round style I think?

Steering column - I think it's 79 or newer, might even be out of a FJ60, not sure but I don't recognize the steering wheel, maybe someone else will.

At least that's what I'm seeing, I'm sure others might notice more?

Hope that helps, Matt

Pull down levers and two-bolt w/s hooks were last used in 65; 66 used the 3-bolt and no w/s vent.

Door access panels 65 and older used 6 screws;66 and newer used 4. Soooo, could be a 66 with an older w/s frame, or a 65 with newer doors.

Does your louvered fan inlet cover have horizontal or diagonal louvers?

Man you guys are good. I will investigate all of the things mentioned and will get more photos. So when someone asks me what year, I can use several answers and still be somewhat right. I am going to use a modified pre 65 lv frame to replace the rotten one. I guess then it will be even more of a mongrel.
Hey thats it just named the truck MONGREL.
I have lots of pic if you want to view them just email me your email address and I will send you the link, it is a lot easier than posting them here.Matt I may know where I can get the interior handles for you lv project.
What is this-Does your louvered fan inlet cover have horizontal or diagonal louvers?

Last edited:
He is talking about the passenger side louvered part where the heater gets it fresh air i think.

What is throwing me off is the padding on the bottom of the dash. What year did they start that ? Granted it could just be something done to upgrade it in a way.

Pull down levers and two-bolt w/s hooks were last used in 65; 66 used the 3-bolt and no w/s vent.

Door access panels 65 and older used 6 screws;66 and newer used 4. Soooo, could be a 66 with an older w/s frame, or a 65 with newer doors.

louvered fan inlet cover has diagonal louvers

Those hood hinges are definitely early, I'd say '64 or '65.

Here is a link to all the pictures I have. The good the bad and the ugly.

Pictures of the mongrel at:

Last edited:
I'd guess 65 tub and later model bed, gots 4 hinges, so from a non US truck, Canada or something

So, why is the bed mounted higher than normal? Is that to clear the add-on tank under the bed?

got me, I didn't even notice that it was higher....but guess it is.

So, why is the bed mounted higher than normal? Is that to clear the add-on tank under the bed?

yes it was to mount the extended tank. I think it is a sor 22 gal tank. I dont like the way it is mounted, the center supports dont touch and the front and back bed supports are extra thick. I have a reg tank to go back in under the ds seat. So I may just yank the extended tank out.

More info:

Took a good look last week. I think the upper cab and the bed & tailgate are from a 74 or later model. The upper cab does not have the piece where the latches attach, this is bedhind the seats and below the rear window. The lower cab does have the latch. The original color of the bed, tailgate and upper cab are a dark blue. I think the lower cab as well as the ws frame are 1964 vintage. All in all it just a mix of fj45 and some fj40 parts of various years. But it is still a 45 at heart.
See above for a link to pictures of the mongrel.

upper cab hooks

I think the upper cab on my truck must have come from the same donor truck that the bed & tailgate came from. The hooks behind the seat do not have anywhere to hook to the upper cab. see photo. There are also no hooks on the inside of the top to hook to the windshield frame. So I think the upper cab and the bed and tailgate are from a 74+ donor truck. Does anyone know when they changed the hook set up?
chrismarch 005.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom