GPS recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
I looking for recommendations for a GPS. Most of the car systems are good on road but useless off road. Who makes a unit that's good for both.

Peter

Thanks for the link, but there actually not a single recommendation except for one. I'll go on a hunt.

Peter

I use the garmin legend, its a hand held it is good on and off road but its really ment for hunting and hiking but it works. i like it because you can take it out of you car if you need to. although its not very advanced

The only unit that's intended for auto use that also says it is for offroad is the Lowance 480c Baja - but there are not reviews or decent descriptions of it anywhere.

The handhelds are great for hiking, but aren't much using for driving directions in town.

Anyone have any experience with the 480c Baja?

Peter

The only unit that's intended for auto use that also says it is for offroad is the Lowance 480c Baja - but there are not reviews or decent descriptions of it anywhere.

The handhelds are great for hiking, but aren't much using for driving directions in town.

Anyone have any experience with the 480c Baja?

Peter

What do you (they) mean by "for offroad"? Are they refering the map and roads it displays?

I have a handheld Garmin that is about six years old and has traveled from GA to CO several times. I still use it regularly. It displays forest service roads, national forest roads, streams, trails etc. It also has a car mount and antenna.

Last edited:
I like my Garmin 60 CSx. It has autorouting feature for the vehicle when you buy the City Navigator and you can also run Topo on it. It has 2 AA batteries for handheld use or you can use a 12V plug for in the vehicle.

I like my Garmin 60 CSx. It has autorouting feature for the vehicle when you buy the City Navigator and you can also run Topo on it. It has 2 AA batteries for handheld use or you can use a 12V plug for in the vehicle.
x2 you can also hook it up to your laptop with a program called nrout and you get full size maping and voice that tells you where to go.

That Delorme unit looks pretty cool.

And that expedition web site is really cool.

Peter

I have a Magallen Meridian Platinium with toposend maps loaded. It shows streets and almost every cow path you could want to see.
The display is a bit larger than the Garmin Legand I use to have and it gets better reception. The Garmin has to be kept flat to lock sattelites so it is almost worthless in a car. The Magellin works in any orientation. I have a car kit for it that mounts to the windshield with suction cups. It works "okay", a Ram mount would be better but I move the GPS from rig to rig a lot and it would cost to much to equip all my rigs with the ram mount system. It also has a PC interface to hook to a lap top.

If you hike, fish, ski or have more than one rig you want to use the unit in a hand held is a much better system than a car mount IMHO.

magellen has a enw unit out called a crossover or something. has turn by turn for hiways and can take topo maps for offroad! also plays mp3's and shows pictures.

I would look at the lowrance 480c baja as well as this one.

Another vote for the 60CSx.

So what's the difference between the 600 and the 480C?

I believe the 480c doesn't do Turn-By-Turn navigation. The 480c doesn't have a touch sensitive screen. Both do point-to-point. Both are sealed.

love my Garmin 60CSx

Same here. Works great for both in and out of vehicle use. Very quick at locking on to satelites and works in places other GPS units can't get a lock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom