Rig Was Stolen!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

smittycrusher

"Hey big guy, you a golfer" - Roger Dorn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.morganstanleyfa.com
A fellow mudder here (85 SA TOY) had his rig stolen last week from outside his home. Will you guys keep a look out for one like his on the streets of SoCal. He has not had it very long and had done some good work modding it up thus far. I have been on one run with Frank and he is a great guy. Here is what I can remember from his rig:

85 Toyota Pickup
Blue in color
33X10.5X15 BFG AT's (pretty darn new)
3"ish lift

Here is the only pic I have of the truck.

Smit
85satoy.jpg

That sucks!:mad:

I'll definitely keep an eye out here in the IE. Any other description or plate number, etc. would help.

This is really the only detail of the rig that I have. If Frank sees this thread maybe he can post more details or identifying marks.

Smit

Description....

My rig had a 3 inch Downey lift dual shock set up front..... Black rock crawlers anf 33x10.5 15 bfg at's....... Blue in color cracked left side windshield......... Right rear bed panel has rock rash...... Doetsch tech sticker above license plate.......... Any info would be appreciated..

This is really the only detail of the rig that I have. If Frank sees this thread maybe he can post more details or identifying marks.

Smit

That really sucks. How is it you know that it was stolen but you haven't been in contact with Frank? Not being a smart ass, serious question. Also is it a long bed or standard ben in addition to all the previous questions above. Unfortunately the 85 mini's and 4Runners are very high on the stolen list, especially after the big rise in popularity of rock crawling over the last 10 years. My built 4Runner was stolen about 10 months after I sold it and my buddy's built 85 4Runner was stolen as well.

This might be a good reminder to all to do your best to safeguard your rigs. I am still trying to figure out a way to electrically interupt the high amp feed to the starter and make my truck virtually theft proof. The catch is it has to be easy to use so I don't get lazy and not use it all the time. I figure I can replace anything they can grab quickly but all that is invested in the overall setup of the cruiser would be major costly to re-do.

That really sucks. How is it you know that it was stolen but you haven't been in contact with Frank? Not being a smart ass, serious question.

I found out when I talked to Frank on the phone. Just figured I would post up all that I knew. I am glad Frank logged on and added to the description. I think it had a standard bed.

SOCALFJWhat city was it stolen from????

I am pretty sure he lives in Downey..

Smit

My rig had a 3 inch Downey lift dual shock set up front..... Black rock crawlers anf 33x10.5 15 bfg at's....... Blue in color cracked left side windshield......... Right rear bed panel has rock rash...... Doetsch tech sticker above license plate.......... Any info would be appreciated..

Again very sorry to hear Frank, we will all keep our eyes peeled and spread the word but unfortunately it is probably stripped by now. That is the kind of rig that gets stolen for a reason. I will still keep my fingers crossed for you brother. :frown:

will definately look for it but I agree with Mo it is probibly cut up by now or parted for what ever they needed, Frank is a nice guy sorry to see this happen, hopefully it will turn up or he can find another one that was as nice as that one......

Last edited:
I used to travel to phoenix every other week for a year and a half. Because of my job I would have to drive it. I can't remember not seeing someone pulling a toyota pickup eastbound on I-10. The tow rig always had mexico plates. They go to mexico through AZ ot Texas.

..I can't remember not seeing someone pulling a toyota pickup eastbound on I-10. The tow rig always had mexico plates. They go to mexico through AZ ot Texas.

You mean the authorities havent caught on?

I remember theyve been doing this many times in the early 90s in Tejas - but at the time I thought it was just someone being entrepreneural. :D

I had a friend whose rig was stolen years ago. About 7 years later, he gets a call from an impound lot near the border. Says they have his truck and he needs to pick it up. Apparently, all of the VIN's were removed, but Toyota stamps the inside of the frame with a VIN. The yard knew where to cut, found the VIN, & identified the owner. $500 for impound fees and he had his truck back. He said it was in better shape then when it was stolen (new seats, radio, etc.). It had plates from Mexico.

I know this doesn't help, but at least there is hope. Good luck!

Frank, sorry to here about your rig, only met you on saddleback run but you gave slomo's hill a run for the money. Now it's time to get an 80 or the new fj. good luck finding your rig.

I'm so sorry to hear the news bro....I'll keep an eye out I'm on the 5 and 91 daily.

I had a friend whose rig was stolen years ago. About 7 years later, he gets a call from an impound lot near the border. Says they have his truck and he needs to pick it up. Apparently, all of the VIN's were removed, but Toyota stamps the inside of the frame with a VIN. The yard knew where to cut, found the VIN, & identified the owner. $500 for impound fees and he had his truck back. He said it was in better shape then when it was stolen (new seats, radio, etc.). It had plates from Mexico.

I know this doesn't help, but at least there is hope. Good luck!

You just don't hear enough of theses good stories. Someone at the impound yard was think of the owner when they took the anitiative to go and find the VIN and track down the owner.

They found IT!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys..... Thanks for everything I really appreciate this post well they found it in neighboring maywood...... This morning...... Leaving work to go pick it up...... So htey say it is in good condition lets see waht condition ti is in!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom