Small Welding Bottle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a small welding bottle to do some MIG welding. Made the horrible mistake of getting a flux core, need to redeem myself.....any leads are appreciated.

Flux core blows. Do you have a local welding supply? You should be able to get something down there reasonably, and not have to deal with shipping hazardous materials. Do you have one of those flux/gas combo 110v welders?

The one flux core that I bought was just flux core. I am taking it back to get one that can run both.

I called a local place and they quoted me at $165 for a new bottle.....YIKES

for my mig i use argon gas. i lease the large bottle for $26 per year. cost $39 to refill. they also do a monthly rental but it is $6 per month. i also got a cutting torch set up. f size acetylene $20 to fill. oxygen is always $6 no matter what size cylinder you fill.

The one flux core that I bought was just flux core. I am taking it back to get one that can run both.

I called a local place and they quoted me at $165 for a new bottle.....YIKES

for my mig i use argon gas. i lease the large bottle for $26 per year. cost $39 to refill. they also do a monthly rental but it is $6 per month. i also got a cutting torch set up. f size acetylene $20 to fill. oxygen is always $6 no matter what size cylinder you fill.

I had to buy my bottles. Both the oxygen and acetelene and my argon tank for the mig. Against the law for me to rent as I am not a company...at least here in NH. Luckily I know the guy who owns the local shop who cut me a great deal. (actually it may be a liability thing and not actually illegal.)

You can sometime find used cylinders on Craig's list, but you'll probably just have to pony up and buy one. I think mine was $150 or so with the first fill free. Subsequent fills are $45 but they just give you another tank already filled, and they take care of all the hydro testing.

A bottle of gas lasts a suprisingly long time. I have my SOA nearly complete and still have at least half of my first bottle.

Thanks to all for the advice. I am going to call a few places tomorrow and see if I can't rent one for the time being. In the meantime I will try to find one used..

thanks again

guess you girls need to learn how to weld with flux.

whats the problem?

Another option is to go w/co2.
The bottles are cheep and so is the co2..

73FJ55, where are you located? I may have a small CO2 bottle you can have, no papers. Free, but the shipping might kill you.
I'm in Kansas City.

Ed

guess you girls need to learn how to weld with flux.

whats the problem?

I use flux all the time. It does the job, but I can lay down a cleaner weld with a stick. Something just doesn't add up there for me.

Looking for a small welding bottle to do some MIG welding. Made the horrible mistake of getting a flux core, need to redeem myself.....any leads are appreciated.

I just gave my welding supplier a deposit on the bottle...then just pay for gas when needed on an instant exchange program: No waiting...and the cheapest route.

I went out to a welding supply company and they let me rent a bottle for a month. NOT A huge bottle mind you but a good size. All in all $32. Can't complain.

Thanks for the advice.

I use flux all the time. It does the job, but I can lay down a cleaner weld with a stick. Something just doesn't add up there for me.

i'm just messin with ya bro, it's like me, i never got use to using gas when i started welding :confused:

if you have a tractor supply near you, you can pick up a bottle and then exchange it as needed. It's a plus for me, because they are open on Sundays...most of the time I ran out of gas was on the weekends....

bk

I got a 60 cu ft bottle for my 140 Handler from a local welding place for like $160 with gas. Like someone else said, they just swap bottles when empty and no need to worry about hydro. The guy told me that it does not matter what gas I want to use. I.e if I want to switch from co2/argon to straight co2 or to oxygen for the torch, they would just swap bottles and the only cost difference would be the price of the different gases. Also, the guy told me to be on the lookout for older co2 cylinders for soda systems. He said that they would exchange these bottles the same way and sometimes you can pick them up really cheap, and it doesn't matter if they have recently been hydro'd.

I always just swap my tanks if I think im getting low before the weekend so I dont have to worry about it.

Here in Ohio my local supplier is good to me 100 bucks for a three year tank lease and 20 dollar fill-ups each time after that.

The O/A tanks i got for a set for $160 for three year lease.
I cant complain..... I may buy some down the road, but right now thats hard to beat!

1. If you want to weld anything but tin foil with a 110V mig don't use pure Argon. Weld will be way too cold. Use a mix or C02..

B. Get a can of Anti splatter for the flux core stuff. works wonders..

1. If you want to weld anything but tin foil with a 110V mig don't use pure Argon. Weld will be way too cold. Use a mix or C02..

B. Get a can of Anti splatter for the flux core stuff. works wonders..
Anti-slpatter, never used it, I asume you spray it on the material you're welding?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom