81 Toyota 2WD (factory) Diesel info (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got my hands on an stock 81 Toyota Diesel. It has a 2.2 4 cyl diesel motor, 5 spd trans, AC, etc... Does anyone know what type of motor or tranny is in it? Is the motor 2B, 3B, etc? Is the tranny a H-55 model or something else? Contimplating switching the driveline into one of my FJ-40's any insight or help would be appreciated! The transmission is 2WD so I was wondering if I can change the output shaft? and/or adapt a split transfercase to to it??? :D

this is a L engine probably with some sort of L or G series tranny. You might be able to adapt the tranny with a back half of a 4WD tranny of the same family, but it will be pathetic in a 40 series. It could work in something like a sammy but otherwise I'd say keep it in the 2WD for the semi-daily/ utility purpose or sell the whole truck if you don't like it anymore. I bet there are quite a few people would would enjoy the truck. I'm building myself a '92 2WD diesel as we speak :D
You can find what tranny you have by looking at the vin plate in the engine bay.

I do like the truck, I just thought if it were the same drive line as an BJ 40 or 60 I might swap it over. Thanks for the info.

of the pick-up or 40's

That's 2.4 liters. It's a 2L. Normally aspirated indirect injected four cylinder. The trans should be either an L50 or L52.

This set up wouldnt make you happy in a 40. unless you were trailering it everywhere. No horsepower. And you'd have to
get a centered rear diff to fit it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom