How tall to sit up front in a FJ80?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All, we're contemplating a trip to Yellowstone this June. Planning on driving the FJ80 from Calif to Wy in 2 days. We're a family of five, 2 boys - 9 and 11 and a daughter 4. Kinda worried about world war III happening in the 2nd row sit though on the long drive out there. 3rd row seats are out for cargo and camping stuff. So our kids always go in the 2nd row but the older one is approaching (maybe?) the size to sit up from. Wife and I were wondering if that could be an option to move one of them up front and her back there encase it get's too ugly.

Anyways, for an FJ80 what's the minimum height and weight for sitting in the passager sit? Realizing the back is safer and any info I get on this excellent forum will be used as reference only.

ok from the NHTSA site 4'9" and at least 80lbs

>>> If your vehicle has a passenger air bag, it is essential for children 12 and under to ride in the back. <<<

ok 12yrs old. But it seems to me it's not age but height and weight which should determine this.

In another location on the NHTSA site...

<< The child must be tall enough to sit without slouching, with knees bent at the edge of the seat, with feet on the floor. The lap belt must fit low and tight across the upper thighs. The shoulder belt should rest over the shoulder and across the chest. Never put the shoulder belt under the arm or behind the child's back. The adult lap and shoulder system alone will not fit most children until they are at least 4'9" tall and weigh about 80 pounds. Take the Safety Belt Fit Test from Safe Kids Worldwide. >>>>

Looks like we'll have to deal with WWIII cuz my guys are that big yet.

Does your 80 have both lap and shoulder belts in the middle 2nd row seat?

"I have three children, one is 11 and weighs 80 pounds, the second is 4 and weighs 50 pounds and the third is 5 months old and weighs 15 pounds. My car has two lap and shoulder belts and one lap belt in the back seat. How should I secure them?

According to California law, the 11-year-old can ride in the front seat. However, the back seat is the safest place for all children, so place them all in the back. The 11-year-old needs the lap and shoulder belt. The 4-year-old needs a booster seat used with a lap and shoulder belt. The 5-month-old needs to be in a rear facing restraint, which can be placed in the middle and secured with the lap belt."

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/child_safetyseat_faqs.html

good link

Hey Hoser, thanks for the link. Good info there. Looks like if WWIII happens we can move the 11yr old up front until things "calm down".

But you know I find it amazing but my dad bought a brand new CJ-5 in Oakland in 1969. A front passenger seat was an option back then which the dealer didn't happen to have at the time my dad took delivery. So, I have vivid memories of cruising home to Fremont seating on the floor board of a brand new red CJ-5. I still remember the cool new car smell. Amazing I survive!

Ah, funny... optional front passenger seat. I would only expect that on a delivery van but not a passenger vehicle.

Ah, funny... optional front passenger seat. I would only expect that on a delivery van but not a passenger vehicle.

IIRC in '69 trucks were tools, like made to do work, not fashion statements.:rolleyes: They were not passenger vehicles, IIRC our '73 FJ40 was originally titled as a utility vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom