Electric Fan on a 2f??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.whymonster.com
Has anyone found a good electric fan setup that will fit a FJ40 with a 2F?? There's very little room between the pump and the radiator..right at 3.5 inches. I've got a Taurus fan, but its not even close, even if I trimmed it. Any ideas??

Move the radiator forward...

This is in the FAQ.

this has been discussed a couple times, but the general consensus is that unless you have a V8 or other engine swap the stock cooling system on the 2F should do fine job of cooling the system, if it is indeed over-heating, adding a fan with more CFM is only a bandaid to a problem. There is obviously something wrong with the cooling system that is it not up to the task of doing the job...

but this is speculation, give more detail in why you need the electric fan..

there was like three threads last week, moving the radiator is probably your best bet, not hard. more of a pita

Its not an overheating issue so its not a bandaid..I just want to change to an electric fan. And theres not really any room for me to move the radiator...I've got a radiator hoop that fits too closely to allow any movement. If noone has found a fan that fits well yet, than I'll just do a little more research and let you guys know what works. No problem.

keep us posted on what you do and get pics and write it up. good luck

Its not an overheating issue so its not a bandaid..I just want to change to an electric fan. And theres not really any room for me to move the radiator...I've got a radiator hoop that fits too closely to allow any movement. If noone has found a fan that fits well yet, than I'll just do a little more research and let you guys know what works. No problem.
You know that the whole "hoop" moves fore and aft? I dont know if it will give you the room you need, but there is about an inch of movement, at least, and could be modded to allow more. The limiting factor will be the bib. There are two studs on the bottom of the core support("hoop"), just loosen the nuts and slide it forward.

GL

Ed

Last edited:
I finally took some pictures and several people wanted me to update the thread with what I found. For the last year, I've been running a SPAL electric fan and it works great. No overheating issues, however the fan definitely runs when I'm crawling. I used the SPAL universal mounting kit which was great. The engine is a 78 FJ40 with the short pump and oil cooler. I think that you would have to change over to the short pump if you don't currently have one to use this fan. Crappy cell phone pics...but its all I had.
2009-10-11 17.16.32.jpg
2009-10-11 17.17.12.jpg

What SPAL fan? Saying you got an electric SPAL fan is like saying you got a Toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom