Builds ROTW: 80krazE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off, let me just say thanks!! To Woody, Cdan, Beowulf, and all, thank you for the help and support. Not sure if my rig qualifies for ROTW, but being a contributing member it bothered me that 5 weeks went unclaimed last fall. I figured that I'd step-up. That said, here's my ROTW.

Ever since I was a kid, I have wanted a 40. To me it was the "coolest" thing on the road that stood out in the late 70's, early 80's, and I had just never liked Jeeps, as all of my friends and lots of others did. I loved the white roof, rounded back and windows, and the fact that the rear passengers faced each other. I have always been an expedition hiker and camper and had owned stationwagons, modified with sleepers, for all of my college years and dragging my two dogs along with me. A few years after college, I quickly realized that it was no longer fun to "rough" it and that we outgrew the wagons, so I decided to look for a Land Cruiser, a 40 in fact.

I had never owned a 4x4 or a truck and at that point in my life, at 26, I had only driven a truck once or twice. Quickly into my 40 search, I realized that for a daily driver, it might not be such a good choice. Set on getting a Land Cruiser, I quickly started eyeing the 80's as I had always liked those as well. Without much research, I grabbed the first good deal that came along: a 1995 "puke" green 80 with damage multiplier and tail light guards, gold emblem kit, no lockers, that had 60,000 miles for $14,000 in 2000. Sorry I couldn't find any pics, but I loved it and I thought it was the greatest vehicle I had ever driven. I beat the hell out of it and since I had never owned/understood a truck, I tore it up and ran it into the ground, thinking it was indestructible (I now realize that they are, if you take care of them and know how to drive).

I used to talk to every other 80 owner I came across, and some I chased down. Somewhere during ownership of my first 80, someone directed me towards Slee/Acme offroad. I set his website as a bookmark in 2002, and longed for a solid rig. During my various drool sesions of other 80's, I came across MUD in 2004.

In March of 2006, my 1995 was on it's last leg, including a rapidly approaching HG replacement, and I decided to get a solid 80 to baby, mod, and keep for life. My search led me 400 miles and 6 hours away, to a Toyota dealership in Odessa, TX. I made the deal over the phone, drove my 1995 out, and my new 1997 back.

1997 FZJ80: 87,000 miles/ one owner(little old lady)/ no lockers/ $9,000 w/ trade-in

Here it is as I got it:
angleb4.jpg

My design for this rig is expedition. I do like to rock crawl, but I am more interested keeping it safe on the road, but take me in the jungle if need be. My first set of mods, included an OME 2.5" heavy lift, with a Slee single-hoop front bumper w/ IPF 900 series driving lights, and the light and aux upgrade yellow harness.
Lift:
sideb4.jpg

sideafter.jpg

Harness:
wiringupgrade.jpg

wiringupgrade3.jpg

Bumper:
sleeshop.jpg

First day, Devil's Canyon, Co.:
devilscanyon1.jpg

devilscanyon2.jpg

Next came the running boards:
2.jpg

6.jpg

And thus to date, BFG 255/85 Mt's and CDL/7-pin;

Tire height and ride height differences:
Height-28575vs25585.jpg

RideHeight-Increase.jpg

Before/After:
SideView-Before.jpg

SideView-After.jpg

Track width and stance:
PassengerFront-TrackWidth.jpg

FrontView.jpg

Spare profile:
Spare-Profile.jpg

Last edited:
Just received a package from Cdan. Dan, thank you so much for the time, effort, and great pricing. Next on my list is to baseline my rig, so that I will know where she stands and will have a date/milage to start clocking from. The previous history is not documented, but known. The included list of PM is:

Front axle rebuild
Rear axle rebuild
Plugs
Wires
Distributor cap
Rotor
Fan clutch
Fuel filter
Thermostat
PCV valve and hose
PHH
Starter contacts
All hoses
Drain/flush/fill fluids
Parts.jpg

I also got wiper inserts for all three wipers and a case of the 20004 oil filters, should get another one too.
Can you think of anything else?

Last edited:
And lastly, my list and plans for future mods. Since this is an expedition rig, the list will be modest, but expansive. I do like to rock crawl and feel that my rig will ultimately be set up so that I would have a fun time doing so, but I am looking to have a rig that is safe on the streets and that could get me in and out of a jungle. The list includes some definite mods, i.e., ones that will happen within a year, and some that I have either not decided on or that will happen some time in the future.

Definite:
Slee rear bumper with tire carrier
Slee step sliders
Aux tank
Dual battery set-up
Winch w/ synth line and thimble

Maybe:
Suspension upgrade
OBA
Power inverter and outlets
Drawer/fridge set-up
Lockers
Can you think of anything else? I have a CDN M101 that will house my tent/gear and I take my three dogs everywhere.

Mod I want to do, but will never:
Switch out headlights to Oz double lens and switch out front grille to pre-95 TOYOTA versus the now sombrero.

This will be my next mod:
.jpg

T-Box.jpg

Since this game has been popular lately.............any guesses?

Last edited:
That us a beautiful truck, just the right color, and LOW miles! Great find and a great start on the build-up.

The only thing that I would add would be a radiator cap. That is a great selection of parts for base lining a new-to-you rig.

-B-

Thanks for taking your turn. Nice truck. I recognized the front of Christo's shop and then saw the pic with Sleeoffroad in the window

Mod I want to do, but will never:
Switch out headlights to Oz double lens and switch out front grille to pre-95 TOYOTA versus the now sombrero.

Why is the grill something you will never do? Is it completely over priced? I really want to do this mod! Does anyone know if it's a direct bolt up 94 to 96 grills?

I also want to get rid of the sombrero on the rear but I hear there are holes in the sheet metal holing it in. But just recently saw someone with the old school Land Cruiser logo in it's place and I am assuming it is sticky back and covers up the holes. Can anyone confirm.

Sorry not meant to Hi Jack but to help us twin cruisers get the old school look! :grinpimp:

Tool sleeve :grinpimp:

You might also consider alternator brushes and rebuilding your front calipers.

Nice rig, and great dealing!

Just received a package from Cdan. Dan, thank you so much for the time, effort, and great pricing. Next on my list is to baseline my rig, so that I will know where she stands and will have a date/milage to start clocking from. The previous history is not documented, but known. The included list of PM is:

Front axle rebuild
Rear axle rebuild
Plugs
Wires
Distributor cap
Rotor
Fan clutch
Fuel filter
Thermostat
PCV valve and hose
PHH
Starter contacts
All hoses
Drain/flush/fill fluids
Parts.jpg

I also got wiper inserts for all three wipers and a case of the 20004 oil filters, should get another one too.

WOW! that is quite the spread:eek: so if you dont mind me asking what is "baselining" your rig going to end up costing (fluids included)? I need to attempt to do some of those someday...:doh:

great write-up look forward to the rest of the week

barrypt5

Do a lot of ppl store fluids in the battery tray? Or is that just temporary?

Nice rig.:cool:

Thanks for contributing.:cheers:

Your parts order has made me realize that the list I was assembling is slightly incomplete. That ain't gonna make the :princess: happy with me or Cdan for that matter.

Front axle rebuild
Rear axle rebuild
Plugs
Wires
Distributor cap
Rotor
Fan clutch
Fuel filter
Thermostat
PCV valve and hose
PHH
Starter contacts
All hoses
Drain/flush/fill fluids
Parts.jpg

It's a Christmas miracle! :bounce:

Nice 80.
That list of PM parts has some of use squirming.
Dooo, I need to order some parts.

T-Box.jpg

Since this game has been popular lately.............any guesses?

Rear bumper corners/wings?

Nice rig and great write up. That display of PM parts is a beatiful sight to see. Must be pretty cool but expensive to live that close to Christo. :D

goin on nine and a half years of "temporary" storage there.
oil rags, oil, whatever....great spot.

sweet rig!

Why is the grill something you will never do? Is it completely over priced? I really want to do this mod! Does anyone know if it's a direct bolt up 94 to 96 grills?......
It would be very costly. It is NOT direct "plug-and-play". There are several components included in the swap, including the grille itself, headlamp assembly, trim pieces, etc., Very costly!!

Tool sleeve
Yep!

WOW! that is quite the spread:eek: so if you dont mind me asking what is "baselining" your rig going to end up costing (fluids included)?
Around $1100....no fluids.

Do a lot of ppl store fluids in the battery tray? Or is that just temporary?
I store oil and ATF there all the time.

.....Your parts order has made me realize that the list I was assembling is slightly incomplete. That ain't gonna make the :princess: happy with me or Cdan for that matter.
Me too!! I left out a couple of items and don't want to bother him again for such a remedial mistake. (Of course I will!)

Rear bumper corners/wings?
Nope!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom