33x9.50/15's on stock 5spd BJ60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Anybody have experience running 33x9.50's on a stock 3B H55F truck? I am thinking it might be too much for my truck. I like the tall/skinny look and it would be good for the snow which is my main concern. My truck is stock, with suspension in good shape, I heard they will fit, but will my 3B with 385,000 km be able to pull them?

I don't want to overwork the motor or screw my fuel mileage cause it's working too hard... I don't live in the mountains, but I already notice the lack of power with 235's on long hills..... I don't have any plans for a turbo in the near future.....

Perhaps I should go with 31X 10.5/15?

Opinions please.....

Thanks

Eric

I have 33s on a 4-speed, with a taller first gear than you and it's fine. Not sure about the diesel/gas comparison, but I understand a lot of guys like the 5-speed with bigger tires as it has a shorter first gear to get going, plus the 5th speed as an overdrive. Combine that wtih the tire size and you should have a nice low rpm for highway driving.

gas/diesel comparison

I am sure the 3B doesn't have the power of 2F off the line... I don't think it is a fair comparison.....

Maybe I should ask.... What is the largest tire size people run on a stock BJ60 with good results? The truck is a daily driver......

Thanks
Eric

I am sure the 3B doesn't have the power of 2F off the line... I don't think it is a fair comparison.....

Maybe I should ask.... What is the largest tire size people run on a stock BJ60 with good results? The truck is a daily driver......

Thanks
Eric

33s mean your 5th is unusable....

I ran 33X10.50 and went back to 31X10.50. Too much tire on the highway.

I have 33x9.5's w/OME lift and N/A 3B/5spd. 5th is usable on the freeway and keeps the revs nice and low but you won't be seeing 5th anywhere else. I personally don't have a problem w/ starting off slow- I'm used to it now I guess. I remember when I first put them on I noticed a massive difference but I was coming from stock tires.

With stock suspension though you should consider getting 31's- you'll be at a happier place with the usable power and there will be zero rubbing issues.

You'll be fine, my favourite set up was 3.73 and 33"s. I used 5th all the time on the highway, if you feel bogged down on a hill, throw it into 4th, I'd rather that than running out of gear in 5th on the highway all because you've prematurely changed your gear ratio.

I seemed to get the most economy on the highway due to a lower revving engine at highway speeds, your 3B will be fine, hell, I even ran 35"s with those gears for a while.

'With stock suspension though you should consider getting 31's- you'll be at a happier place with the usable power and there will be zero rubbing issues.'

There is rubbing issues with 33X9.50's? I don't want any rubbing, I was under the impression that they worked without rubbing.......

Wow a variety of opinions...... Does anybody know if they are 32's in less than 11.50? I don't really want a tire that size.... BTW I am looking at BFG AT's... for the record.. I had the 27X8.50/14 BFG A/Ts on my locked VW Vanagon Syncro camper and they worked awesome.. That was one cool bus..... Yep an offroad VW.......

Under normal conditions, if your springs are in good shape 33x9.5's won't rub but if you flex them they can. Should be no rub for on road conditions.

'With stock suspension though you should consider getting 31's- you'll be at a happier place with the usable power and there will be zero rubbing issues.'

There is rubbing issues with 33X9.50's? I don't want any rubbing, I was under the impression that they worked without rubbing.......

Wow a variety of opinions...... Does anybody know if they are 32's in less than 11.50? I don't really want a tire that size.... BTW I am looking at BFG AT's... for the record.. I had the 27X8.50/14 BFG A/Ts on my locked VW Vanagon Syncro camper and they worked awesome.. That was one cool bus..... Yep an offroad VW.......

If you can afford it, go to 16 inch rims.

I run a 235/85 r16 on my bj60. Best tire combo IMOP.

I do have a minor lift, but it has tonnes of room and should fit stock height.

The 235 85 is a 32.7 inch tire that is 95. inches wide.

Also the best tires are in 16 inch size.

My favorite for snow is the Yokohama 742.

Also power isn't too bad. I went from a 30 x 9.5 x 15 and barely noticed it.

I've got 33x9.50's on my 70. If you go to a 33 I would advise you to buy an EGT gauge. You'll be surprised how hot it will get turning taller tires on the highway. At least mine did pre-turbo. Plus with a 60's extra weight and size I think you would be happier with a 10.50, I kinda wish I had a wider tire.

I'm running 33 x 10.50 BFG AT's on my HJ60.

No problems with 5th unless it is a steep or long hill.

3B - 93 hp & 159 ft lbs

2H - 103 hp & 177 ft lbs

The 3B does give up 10 hp and 18 ft lbs of torque though.

Ive been told 31's are the limit. BTW My suspention has a nice lift for the 31s but wonder if my fuel economy may suffer.

Ive been told 31's are the limit. BTW My suspention has a nice lift for the 31s but wonder if my fuel economy may suffer.

Taller tire bigger guzzler.

I just bought a second BJ70 and there were 33"X10,5" tires with a stock drive train. (H55F with 3,73:1 diff ratio)

The cluth has blue spots on. 5th speed was use left often. Rebuilt of the 3B was necessary. Don't know if it's a cause to effect link.

I've put back 29" for winter and 31" for summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom