Sheered Wheel Bolt, but did remove running boards (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not a banner mod-day today. Original plan was to install Bilstein HD shocks and remove running boards. While removing the back tire, the last bolt that I was removing would not turn after it was backed out about ½ way. I tried to tighten it again to see if that would free it; however, it would not budge. So in my infinite wisdom, I decided to man handle it, grabbed the cheater bar and began unscrewing again. Next thing I know, I have a sheered off bolt on my hands. So can anyone tell me what I need to do to fix this fiasco?

I was so pi#### that I stopped the shock mod and removed the side steps. I guess it is not a total loss of a day. LC looks tons better with steps removed. Ordering slee slider steps on Monday.
DSC_0001.jpg

Last edited:
should be possible to replace the one broken lug in the hub, I would think.

yes, you should be able to replace the stud on the hub. Seen many done before, dont see why the 100 should be any different. Maybe Cristo or another 100 Tech could chime in on this.

....but it does look nicer w/o the running boards. I like that color too

Order an OEM stud (Cdan or SINCITY100). Depending on: How much clearance there is to install a new stud (between the axle housing and the flange that holds the studs) and/or how tight the stud is pressed in place you may or may not need to pull the axle. Pull the drum/rotor off (once the caliper is removed the drum/rotor should easily slide right off). If you do need to pull the axle it is a relatively easy and straight forward job.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the advice. The stealer owes me a couple hundred for doing a shody job on my last alignment. If I dont have time to fix it over the next two days, I will take it to the dealer to let them deal with it.

Thanks again

Looks great without runnibg boards!

Good luck on the stud!

Way better without the boards! :cool: Sucks about the stud though. Should be fairly simple to fix though.

RE: Sheared wheel bolt

I sheared a stud on my '99 LC this afternoon, also right rear.
Was about to post asking for help when I saw this thread!
Looks like the rotor is held on by four bolts at the back?
If anyone can supply the specifics on how to get this all apart it would be much appreciated.
Also, when you order the wheel stud don't forget to get a new lug nut.

Rear rotor is held on by the lug nuts and brake caliper. Once you remove the caliper, the rotor pulls right off. IIRC, there was a thread on replacing a lug stud on mud some time last year. Can't remember if it was the front or rear (I'm thinking it was the rear). One of them is far easier than the other (as in you only need to screw on the lug nut to set the new bolt). Do a search. I know this has been documented. No use in reinventing the wheel.

FSM on Wheel Bolt Replacement

OK, finally had time to check the FSM, found it looks pretty darn simple to replace the bolt. Not sure how to post a PDF so I will PM the poor soul who too broke a bolt today.

When you pull it to fix it, do all 5 together, then you are back to square one with 5 good ones, because the others will probably have been stretched as well. Then you don't have to do it again next week. Lubricate the threads, not the mating surfaces, do it up by hand with the spanner supplied with the vehicle. My thoughts.

Yup, I agree, change all 5 lugs. And next time you drop your 100 off for service, specify they use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts.

100TD, just noticed your sig line... haha, glad you like it. It's perhaps the ONLY OEM part we have that you Aussies would even want.

Might try checking the FAQ thread on replacing a broken lug.

It has some nice pics even.

Check your rear pads before ordering the lug as you you'll have done a lot of the work for a pad replacement by the time you are done.

Last edited:
THREAD HIJACK

100TD, just noticed your sig line... haha, glad you like it. It's perhaps the ONLY OEM part we have that you Aussies would even want.

Many thanks Les, you and I PM'd on another issue ages ago and you asked about the 3 hole nozzles you sent me but I sidelined the issue then (but I did reply to the rest) as I wanted to put this up, but as usual being a slack arse working out the sig line stuff............, well I finally did it.
And yes, it is a very good mod for the bugs, if only I had taken pics of me wiping off 1 inch thick mashed grasshoppers off my front grill guard, you would know what I mean.

I should adjust the reply for HOSER, when I have a camera handy the next time the grasshoppers(locus6ts) hit, I will also get a photo of the windscreen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom