2F Engine Head Bolts - HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to install an Air Cleaner Bracket onto a 2F Engine (for a 75 PIG). Need to take out 2 front Driver's side head bolts. Got out one, but getting "leary," make that paranoid, because can't seem to get the 2nd one out. Took the torque wrench up to about 100 ft/lbs --- has not "broken" yet --- don't want it to shear --- then I will really have a BIG mess :eek: .

Here are a couple of pictures of the one I got out. Looks a little off-spec. Thinking the "other" may be that way also. Any Ideas? Thought about just installing the bracket with just one bolt and drilling the bracket hole a bit bigger to slide over the head bolt I'm having trouble with.

Why am I putting an older air cleaner onto a 2F? Because my carburetor (Non-USA) works with this air cleaner. I do have the stock cleaner but do not have a carb air horn to fit it -- so making do with this.

Any Help appreciated!

75PIG
2F Engine Head Bolt Threads.jpg
2FEngine Head Bolt.jpg

My head bolts looked like that when I removed them. Isn't the torque spec around 90 lb-ft? If so, then it's probably gonna take a lot more than 100 lb-ft to break them loose. Use a breaker bar with some 2" sch 40 pipe on the end.

Also, don't use your torque wrench to loosen those bolts. It can booger the accuracy of the wrench.

Thanks Trevor -- Good to hear --- did you replace the bolts or use new ones when you put it back together?

Torque is supposed to by from 83-98 lbs/ft or so. Used a breaker bar but did not slip a cheater onto it due to being chicken --- was using the torque wrench to get a "feel" of how tight it was. First one Popped when it broke with the breaker bar -- thanks for the tip on not using the torque wrench to "break" the bolts free.

I am using a 1/2 inch breaker but only have a 3/8 19mm socket. So, use a 1/2 to 3/8 converter. Am I losing anything by doing this? Also, space in a PIG is tight so may have to use a "longer" extension (height) to slip a cheater onto it w/o hitting the fender.

Has anybody broken a HEAD BOLT?

ive never broken a yota headbolt,sometimes as you are trying to loosen,reverse your ratchet and try tighten just a little bit,then loosen again

I just did the head on my 76 FJ40, I think I used about a 3 in extention on a 1/2 in drive Breaker Bar. The extention justed cleared the rocker assy studs and still was managable. I would be careful using a 3/8 to a 1/2 adapter, one of those is gonna give if somebody has put some Gorrilla Torque on those bolts. I had a friend get on one side of the truck and I got on the other he pushed and I pulled. Some of the bolts took a little work but I was able to get them all out. Good luck

Cruiser88 and Crawford67,

Thanks, think I will invest in the 19mm 1/2 socket and extension. Will let you know what happens after I get them.

Thanks for the help ---

x3

I just pulled the head on a 2f that has been sitting for 15-odd years. We used a 24" 1/2" breaker bar and some of the bolts took two of us, pushing, and pulling with one foot braced on the motor mount; easily 200 ft-lbs or maybe more. We tried a longer cheater pipe, but we couldn't get any traction with the engine on a stand.

I got lots of bolts even a bit worse than your picture, but none broke off.

Cruiser88 and Crawford67,

Thanks, think I will invest in the 19mm 1/2 socket and extension. Will let you know what happens after I get them.

Thanks for the help ---

(You do know that 19mm and 3/4in are the same, si?)

Head bolts always take more than 100 lbs to get loose.

Mark...

Try an impact?

In this scenario bringing the engine up to operating temp. eases the removal those stubborn corroded bolts... but, be sure to depressurize or drain down the cooling system before bolt removal......

Last edited:
I like to loosen a 1/2 turn and spray in some PB. Wait a few seconds and tighten the bolt. Wait a few seconds and loosen some more. If needed, spray in some more PB and repeat. It'll come out. Some times people will use loctite on the bolts, and sometimes they will just use some assembly lube or oil on the threads.

When I disturbed those head bolts for a air cleaner removal head gasket failure soon followed.:mad: Whats up with that:confused: I torqued them back down to spec.

Unless you ran the engine with them loose, then it is almost certainly coincidence.

Mark...

The 3/4" does fit the same as the 19mm --- I tried it earlier but thought it was a loose fit. Thanks for all the input, will probably use them all, impact wrench too; probably not running it since I have one of the head bolts out already and don't want to blow the gasket. Sounds like the bolts are pretty durable with all that muscle going into it to get them out.

Did NOT want to hear about the head gasket failure --- going to have to make sure I really torque those two head bolts back down --- probably should have invested in the carb with the correct year air horn to except the stock air cleaner -- gues they improved the design not attaching it to the head with head bolts.

Let you know how it turns out.

Remember to lightly oil the threads when you install and torque those bolts back up.

A little bit of oil under the head of the bolt helps before you torque to specs.

Well, used the impact wrench --- started out on setting #1 and went all the way to #4 (wrench says not to exceed 90psi).

#1 --- 123-140 ft lbs
#2 --- 155-170 ft lbs
#3 --- 175-190 ft lbs
#4 --- 195-230 ft lbs

Guess What ---- a BIG NOTHING happened

Tried the breaker with a cheater --- a BIG NOTHING happened. This is in there tight! Can't get PB down the hole.

See engine picture... notice only one bolt out -- the 2nd one back is still in. Really thinking about just overdrilling the air cleaner bracket to fit over the 2nd bolt...

OR --- Anybody got a Junked 75 carb air horn that will mate with my non-USA carb -- see engine pic and stock air cleaner -- see pic. If I do that then I blow all the work of sandblasting and painting the air cleaner --- see pic. Worse yet, I wouldn't be using something that PIGHEAD went so far out of his way to get me!
FJ55 Air Cleaners.jpg
FJ55 Engine.jpg

I've had a couple that were really stubborn to break loose. A 3/4 inch breaker and a 4 foot pipe with me rocking on it finally got the job done.

Now we're getting serious, got to go to the big guns (3/4 " and 4 ft cheater). I'll see if any of my friends have the equipment.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom