85 toyota truck with 4 wheel discs brakes. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i looked at an 85 toyota 4x4 truck today with a 383 chevy in it. it has rear disc brakes on it but i can't find anywhere online that they came with that. if i were to need parts the brakes. where and how could i get them if this is a conversion kit which i think it may be. can anybody help me with this. i didn't pay much attention to it but i noticed that the discs were very thin

Last edited:
i looked at an 85 toyota 4x4 truck today with a 383 chevy in it. it has rear disc brakes on it but i can't find anywhere online that they came with that. if i were to need parts the brakes. where and how could i get them if this is a conversion kit which i think it may be. can anybody help me with this. i didn't pay much attention to it but i noticed that the discs were very thin

the thin disc should be of no concern... you rear only does about 25-30 % of your braking...

Ditto on what Wristpin said about it being an aftermarket kit

Ya, there's several kits out there, if you get us some pics we can identify what you have for parts. I believe the most common setup is what I have, Chevy Monte Carlo calipers and 1/2 ton truck rotors that are custom-machined to fit over the rear axle hub. I used Sky Manufacturing brackets, and hoses/fittings from NAPA.

Drum brakes suck.

Drum brakes suck.

Why?

Unless you did a full floater conversion (manual hubs in the rear) you wont gain any better braking (the rear brakes on a toyota are way over kill) you have a serious amount of brake pad surface on the rear 10" brake drum, more than adequate for large tires or trailering, the only benifit of rear brakes on a truck is the fact you cant get debris in them.

Before we start an argument here, I have rear discs- only because I have a rear full floater conversion (I noticed NO difference in braking distance, I always could lock them up at any speed-35s- with drum brakes)

full floater kit and explanation
rear fullfloater disk brake conv. front range offroad fab makes this kit (link) and no where does it mention anything about better braking, just that the debris clean out easier, which is true.

To convert to rear disk brakes only is alot of money to gain really nothing. you still have a semifloater axle and marginally if any better braking... plus ABS equipped vehicles will lose their ABS function.

pic.php

this is the rear brake, everything looks professional although it has no pedal and i hear air coming from the rear brakes. can you make out this pic

Why?

To convert to rear disk brakes only is alot of money to gain really nothing. you still have a semifloater axle and marginally if any better braking... plus ABS equipped vehicles will lose their ABS function.

I disagree there is something you disc guys have over us drumies.
You will NEVER have to ajust the breaks again!!!
Where as I cant count how many times Ive cramed myself under the bed to go and ajust the breaks way too tight by accadent and kick myself while im strugling to loosen up the drum.

someday I will pay for the privilidge of never having to do that again. :flipoff2:

I disagree there is something you disc guys have over us drumies.
You will NEVER have to ajust the breaks again!!!
Where as I cant count how many times Ive cramed myself under the bed to go and ajust the breaks way too tight by accadent and kick myself while im strugling to loosen up the drum.

someday I will pay for the privilidge of never having to do that again. :flipoff2:

tru.... but seriously you wont notice any difference in braking, but if you do this you wont regret doing the "full floater" as part of it (until your friends unlock your REAR hubs, and laugh at you when you *try* to take off:doh: )

side note - paint a small yellow dot on the hub face and the dial, and make sure when u you get in they are lined up- or else you could be driving around using only one rear axle...if it has a locker

89dragger, I'm sorry but I can't really tell from that blurry picture. But I will tell you that those rear blocks are friggin' SCARY. Just wait till one of those things spits out on the trail...

I don't really want to turn this into a drum vs. discs thread. You are correct that the rear discs really didn't improve my braking much, after all the front brakes do most of the braking. I prefer the rear discs because:

* no more adjusting rear brakes, I HATED doing that, and my rear e-brake still worked fine.
* No more of all those stupid levers and crap to keep lubed and from rusting.
* MUCH easier to inspect the rear brakes, and work on the axle. No more of that disconnecting and bleeding the brakes again just to change the rear diff. No more fighting with the adjusters to get the drums off.

With all the parts involved, I can't figure out why any manufacturer is still installing drum brakes on the rear of ANY vehicle. It's not the e-brake, that has been solved many times.

89dragger, I'm sorry but I can't really tell from that blurry picture. But I will tell you that those rear blocks are friggin' SCARY. Just wait till one of those things spits out on the trail...

I don't really want to turn this into a drum vs. discs thread. You are correct that the rear discs really didn't improve my braking much, after all the front brakes do most of the braking. I prefer the rear discs because:

* no more adjusting rear brakes, I HATED doing that, and my rear e-brake still worked fine.
* No more of all those stupid levers and crap to keep lubed and from rusting.
* MUCH easier to inspect the rear brakes, and work on the axle. No more of that disconnecting and bleeding the brakes again just to change the rear diff. No more fighting with the adjusters to get the drums off.

With all the parts involved, I can't figure out why any manufacturer is still installing drum brakes on the rear of ANY vehicle. It's not the e-brake, that has been solved many times.

yes those brake levers!! aaaarrrgghh! those things suck ass!!!

I am glad we didnt argue this, I hate to see someone do this conversion thinking they are going to get some ungodly stopping power from it.
if you can upgrade to the FF axles when doing this it is the bees knees... check out fronrange if you can

With disks on the rear of mine i found ''Wet" braking to be alot better with less fade in general. I put in a 9"/ Toy hibred because i grenaded the stocker a few days after i put in a 327 and went with disks because i was sick of doing rear brakes.

Yes, the drum brakes on IFS trucks are better than the ones they put on the solid axle trucks. Drums are bigger, the levers are less complicated, and the e-brake is better.

Most folks swap the entire rear axle, as it is also 3" wider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom