Oil on the distributor cap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I checked my wires, cap & rotor today in my ongoing attempt to increase milage (still averaging 9) :( All my parts are still like new, the only surprise was oil on the bottom of the cap (6th cylinder) Would this be from the distributor's O ring letting it pass or somewhere else? Gracias.

94- Somehow, you're getting pressure into the oil, or the pressure isn't being relieved. If not a bad PCV valve, I would guess it's either blow-by from a bad ring, or the HG. How many miles on the truck? If not the PCV, I would guess bad HG, since I think worn rings might be rare, but you might run a compression test to check for bad rings, and test for the HG; I'll let someone with more experience suggest how to test for that. There should be other signs if it's a bad HG.

The truck has 163k, runs strong has none of the hg symptoms. I put a new PCV in last week so perhaps the old one that looked like hell and was routing through heater hose (also replaced) was the issue.

I also just replaced the valve cover breather hose (also was heater hose, thanks Dan) so I am betting it was one of these. I'll keep an eye on it and if it continues I'll get the O ring.

Thanks

The distributor shaft could be leaking. If that is the cae you will need to replace the distributor housing.

Thanks Dan Is there no O ring? If it is coming from the the distributer shaft is the housing the only solution? If so is it not better to replace the distributor?

The oil was on the outside of the cap & the outside of the spark plug wire only on #6. There was a moderate amount of oil. Not alot not alittle.

Thanks Dan Is there no O ring? If it is coming from the the distributer shaft is the housing the only solution? If so is it not better to replace the distributor?

The oil was on the outside of the cap & the outside of the spark plug wire only on #6. There was a moderate amount of oil. Not alot not alittle.

Your original post made it sound like oil was on the inside of the distributor. If that was the case the fix is a new distributor housing which includes a shaft, driven gear and pickup coils. If the leak is external you need to replace the distributor housing o-ring.

Sorry I was unclear. I guessed that was the case by your response that's why I cleared it up. I'll call next week and order some parts including the o ring and the room lamp relay I have been putting off. (Room lamp control relay. 85965-60010). Gracias!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom