Anyone using a Hobart Handler 187 MIG - on sale for $600 locally (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My local Farm and Fleet has the Hobart 187 welders on sale for $600 (no cart) and I was thinking about picking one up. I've read good things about these on the Hobart forum. Does anyone have any experience with one?

I was going to pick up one of the new Lincoln or Miller 180s, but at this price it might be hard to pass up, unless someone can tell me that the other brands are significantly superior. Yeah, the Hobart isn't continious but that's probably a good thing for me. It' will only be used on cruiser stuff so I don't feel the need to get anything too fancy or go any bigger.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/promotions/ for those interested.

Thanks for any feedback.

My local Farm and Fleet has the Hobart 187 welders on sale for $600 (no cart) and I was thinking about picking one up. I've read good things about these on the Hobart forum. Does anyone have any experience with one?

I was going to pick up one of the new Lincoln or Miller 180s, but at this price it might be hard to pass up, unless someone can tell me that the other brands are significantly superior. Yeah, the Hobart isn't continious but that's probably a good thing for me. It' will only be used on cruiser stuff so I don't feel the need to get anything too fancy or go any bigger.

Thanks for any feedback.

Geeze, nothing wrong with taps, go buy it and get welding.

I have no experience with the 187, although I have the Hobart 135, and for me it's been a good machine. Definitely if you can afford it go with a gas setup rather than the flux wire. Makes for much cleaner and easier welding.

Lots of fun, but prepare to get frustrated. It's all about practice.

Nothing wrong with Hobart welders, and you're right - for some people having a lot of adjustments to fiddle with slows down the learning curve. Better to learn all about one or two settings, get good with them and then start adjusting things.

I just got a HH 187 for $45 from Sears...can't belive it!!

David you are a lucky man. They took it off their site. Oh well, I ended up getting mine for $570. I guess I can't complain.

I just got a HH 187 for $45 from Sears...can't belive it!!

WHHHHHAAAAT!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
You LUCKY bastard!!!!!
Even I could have afforded that!

Chicago

Thanks man..I just need to add a 220V drop in the garage and I'm ready to go.

Thanks for any feedback.
Any specific reason you're looking at a Hobart one? Great welders I'm sure, but the normal price for the WeldPak 175 at Home Depot is $599...I got mine off ebay new in box for $470 shipped to my door...so you could possibly get one a bit less than $600 if you don't mind buying online.

:cheers:

I've heard good things about the 187. I thought about the weld pack but I think I read they are lighter duty then the normal Lincoln 175's. I could be wrong. Anyway, I bought the hobart. Of course the 220V in my garage is a 4 prong outlet, I haven't tried to figure out how to rewire it with a 3 pronger.

I've heard good things about the 187. I thought about the weld pack but I think I read they are lighter duty then the normal Lincoln 175's. I could be wrong. Anyway, I bought the hobart. Of course the 220V in my garage is a 4 prong outlet, I haven't tried to figure out how to rewire it with a 3 pronger.

I believe the 4 prong 220 volt consists of 2 110v hots, 1 neutral, and 1 ground.

For a 3 prong 220v plug, you need 2 110v hots and 1 ground.

This is the plug/receptacle you'll need. You can get them at home depot or lowes for around 10.00.

http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/dept_id_973.htm

Thanks, I'll check that out. What do you do with the neutral, just cap it?

If the 220v receptacle is connected to the main panel in the house, then neutral and ground should connect to the ground/neutral bar in the main panel. I would put a big wire nut on the neutral wire (beige color) at the receptacle.

If you look inside the main panel, you'll notice that neutral and ground (green color) are "bonded" (connected together).

Might want to see what it looks like the panel to make sure.

Here is good write up..

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/switchoutlet/dryer/dryershowall.htm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom