Trade my 100 for an 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gjh

Threads
Hi all:

Currently own a 2000 100 series, have owned for 2 yrs & to date has been one of the nicest vehicles I have owned.

Bought it with 65 & approaching 95 k. So far all the major work done, including that ever so expensive starter.

Any way I digress. I actually like the more rugged looks of the 80 with the bulged flairs.

Now my question. I figure the value of my truck has got to be more than most 80's out there & to be honest could use a couple thou extra for daughter's college in the Fall.

So what's the opinion, on a year to look for , what's the going price & should I go to a southern truck? I'd like to get something with no more than 90k, I know that might be tough. Should I look at the LX also? I heard something about a weak front pinion & some tranny issues on the 80's, any help here?

New England can be harsh on any vehicles, but mine happens to be very clean.

Any input would be appreciated.

There's nothing wrong with LX! Try to find both...
You are going to have a very hard time finding low miles with lockers. Do you care for locker?

Expect to pay $10K-16K for clean low mileage with rust free.

Hi gjh- you may be confusing the weak front pinion with the 100 series. IIRC, the 98-2000 100-series had a 2 pinion front diff vs. 4 pinion in the later models.

As for tranny problems, all trannies used in the 80 are very reliable. Again, you may be confusing this with tranny problems on the early 100-series, which had some problems with the A343F.

About the 80-series trannies, some may complain about solenoid/flaring problems with the A442F (93-94 80), or reverse chatter / check ball problems with the A343F (95-97 80) but any problems with either tranny are very rare, although we have seen a few more A442F problems on the board recently, it may be explained by the fact that they are 1-4 years older than the A343Fs out there.

Don't be shy to look around your area. You never know what you might find. I picked up my 80 6 months ago, had 100k, west coast truck as was a military family. Paid 10K for it. Talked to a guy about an 80 up here in Maine a couple of weeks ago, 40th anniversary 110K miles, supposedly from the midwest asking 11,000, didn't sound like lockers though the guy didn't seem to know. I didn't look at it.

You may find some around your neck of the woods. I have been surfing craigslist for boston as well as ME and NH and they are out there occasionally but I haven't seen one under 90K around here for a while.

I am going the 100 route though now but keeping the 80. The 80 will be for me and the 100 for the wife.

I don't know if you will find takers on the trade, might have to buy one and sell yours. You should come out 5-9K ahead if what I am seeing on all the car sales sites and craigslist holds true for you

John

if yours is in good shape and since you know the history, I would keep it over getting an unknown 80, unless you are deadset on doing really really hardcore wheeling.
For street, your 100 is *much* better than the 80.
For mild to intermediate wheeling your 100 is as capable as an 80.
For more hardcore wheeling you'd have to modify both.

If it's just a looks or a $$ thing, fine, nobody can argue with that, but to me it would have to be one smoking deal on the 80 to swap and risk the potential trouble...

I don't think you are going to save much money downgrading/upgrading to an 80. An 80 with the mileage you want is going to bring big bucks. And the earlier 100s are sort of in a slump. I would expect you to net 1-3k tops and then you have to consider if your state has sales tax that you have to pay. If I lived in the NE realizing the lack of wheeling potential I'd stick with the 100.

Heres an 1997 lx450 for 12800, this has been for sale for a while and it was listed before for less. 84k miles
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/car/285855947.html

Here is a 1997 80 109 k for 12300,

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/car/284390415.html

1995 80 with 110k for 9000
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/car/286197406.html

Here is a 2000 100 77 k for 20950. I realize yours has more miles.
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/car/287777327.html

I think it is up to you. Do people think a 90K mile 100 series will last longer than a 90K 80 series? I have no problem driving my 125 K 80 anywhere, I drive my old rusty 62 series anywhere because mechanically I have no fear with it, though now I have a big fear about parts falling off due to the rust but that is another story.

I think you will pick up some money on the deal though if you want to switch. I think it will be more than a couple of grand. You do know the history of your truck at least the last couple of years. You might not know about the others.

I love my 80 and am looking at 100s but my wife is pushing for around the 50 K mileage, but that is my wife and not me. You drive a vehicle with 90K on it, it will be more comfortable than an 80 but if it has 90 K on it as well I think you have a toss up.

If you like an 80 get one, have you driven one? Might be worth test drives.

John

Trade 100 for 80/450

A woman friend of mine has an LX450 I'm going to talk to her about. I know when I got my 100 she said she would love to buy a newer model, but couldn't swing it. Maybe I'll see if she is interested in a swap/cash deal, then eveyone gets what they want with some history behind it.

Worth a shot..

Keep the clean look and opt for a rugged rig.
Cut the IFS off and put an axle under the front, 105 series.

Maybe an irrational input right now. . . .

It looks like this one has been repainted...
Ok how about this one?

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/car/288579022.html

My point is these pop up on a fairly regular basis, not always low miles but I think if he has time to wait and patience he can find a lower mileage one. This one has less miles than his current 100 series. Yes of course he has to watch out for the usual used car issues of accident repaints etc.

I like the one listed above, but not really serious as am going the 100 route for my wife and I will get her 80.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom