unknown BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of buying a diesel Bj40 they told me it is from south amercia it has a inline pump on it but no vin numbers on it. So my question is when did the inline pump start on the diesels.
The truck has the late model tail lights and large turn signals and no heater installed also no dash pads.
any info would be great.
P1010438.JPG
P1010439 diesel.JPG
P1010440diesel.JPG

Last edited:
good luck

i was going to buy that rig nice score. 2nd place is first loser. the motor looks like 3b. if you look a sor in the catalogue the thermostat housing is backwards (compared to canada) and the motors they sell are foreign. the rest of parts should be good.

You should have heaters they all do. the dash pads are the same as a 40 series. not to sure about the pump and what year that was changed. the front lights and tailights were screwed with. Oh by the way nice score nice bj.:cheers:

I am in the process of buying a diesel Bj40 they told me it is from south amercia it has a inline pump on it but no vin numbers on it. So my question is when did the inline pump start on the diesels.
The truck has the late model tail lights and large turn signals and no heater installed also no dash pads.
any info would be great.

The inline pumps were there from day zero,later some were fitted with rotaries but not necessarily in all countries ,models or vehicle types(buses trucks).
I think some BJ40 were made in South America ,so 1st you will have to determine whether it is Japanese or made elsewhere.
The firewall should have an aluminium plate giving details about where it was manufactured and the driveline components fitted. All Toyotas have this regardless of where they were made.
Engine should have a big 3B or 2B stamped on the block.

If thermostat housings are facing odd ways the engine may be from a dyna truck or coaster bus.
Ive even heard of fuel pumps being on the opposite side:eek:

Last edited:
My 1980 BJ40 has that thermostat housing, with B motor, you never mentioned that it was a 2B or 3B....maybe it's a B?

Ok I will know this saturday which it is B/3B but I am guessing it is a B since the body is earlier than 1979. Leaving at 4:30am Saturday morning to drive to N.J. to pick it up. I will post up the pics. right after I try to get it started here's hoping!!

That is a B...no oil cooler to which the oil filter mount is mounted on as in the 3b. It also has the 2 bolt exhaust pipe hook up vs. the 3 bolt set-up on the 3b. The thermostat housing is pointed in the coorect direction. It does not have an EDIC...it must be a manual shut off/on with overinjection magnet. Manual brakes also as there is no vacum pump on the alt.

HTH'S , Daryl

Latin American trucks are stripped down versions of North American trucks. When I was in Nicaragua a couple years ago my host family had a beautiful 1984 BJ40 with a B engine, drum brakes up front, no rollbar, no heater. But I believe it had the H41 tranny and was in far better shape (restored) than my BJ42, even though it was the guy's finca truck.

B

It's alive!!

Well I got the BJ40 home today, first thing was to change the tires because they were flat, second thing was to see if it would run checked it over oil ect. pumped up the primer cracked the bleeder pumped some more pushed as much air out as I could pushed the glow plug button waited 15-20 second pushed the starter button got smoke a spit pumped the primer bleed some more gave it a very small whiff of starting spray and bang it started a little ruff then evened out and ran fine,drove it around a little, no brakes clutch worked so it's all good, needless to say it I got a fair deal on this truck.

OH yea, I can't find the id on the frame it's on the passenger side frame horn right?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom