Oil Filter help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
We're leaving Friday cross country. I cdan supplied me with items for a tune up including 2 of the large oil filters.

I had the cooling system and transmission flushed yesterday at the local Midas (good bunch of guys down there - I know from experience on past cars). They offered to change my oil with the new filter and jugs of Mobil 1 SUV in the truck for $10 so I said sure - I got much more on my plate to do before we leave.

When they saw that I had the smaller filter on there they thought that I had the wrong replacement so they threw one of theirs on there free of charge.

So, does anyone know what kind of filter Midas uses? Does it matter? Should I yank that one out and put the Toyota one on? Maybe let it go for a couple thousand miles and then change it?

This is the 2nd oil change of synthetic on it - went 3000 on the first round of Mobil 1 SUV.

Also, since they just did the coolant, should I throw in some Redline water wetter?
Thanks

We're leaving Friday cross country. I cdan supplied me with items for a tune up including 2 of the large oil filters.

I had the cooling system and transmission flushed yesterday at the local Midas (good bunch of guys down there - I know from experience on past cars). They offered to change my oil with the new filter and jugs of Mobil 1 SUV in the truck for $10 so I said sure - I got much more on my plate to do before we leave.

When they saw that I had the smaller filter on there they thought that I had the wrong replacement so they threw one of theirs on there free of charge.

So, does anyone know what kind of filter Midas uses? Does it matter? Should I yank that one out and put the Toyota one on? Maybe let it go for a couple thousand miles and then change it?

This is the 2nd oil change of synthetic on it - went 3000 on the first round of Mobil 1 SUV.

Also, since they just did the coolant, should I throw in some Redline water wetter?
Thanks

:whoops: I would not worry too much. As far the filters used by Midas have know clue but, it is not like the car is going to fall apart drive it for 3k miles and yank that puppy out for the supllied filter by Mr Dan. :cheers:

kunal

flem0061- if you are using Mobil 1 TSUV (or any other synthetic for that matter), you are fine going a *minimum* of 5-6k on it. Draining that oil at 3k is a major waste of good oil and provides you with no benefit. Start reading the forums and used oil analyses at http://bobistheoilguy.com for more info. and you'll see what I mean.

Oh- and I wouldn't use the Redline water wetter. I saw cooling system deposits on mine when I used it with the Toyota Red.

Completely up to you.

Personally, I'd yank it. But then I wouldn't have let anyone else touch it in the first place, either. :D

Since you're taking the time to ask, it's probably bugging you enough that you might as well change it. You don't have to drain the oil, right? Just pull it off (I wonder how badly they over-tightened it???), throw the "right" one on, and top it up.

Curtis

flem0061- if you are using Mobil 1 TSUV (or any other synthetic for that matter), you are fine going a *minimum* of 5-6k on it. Draining that oil at 3k is a major waste of good oil and provides you with no benefit. Start reading the forums and used oil analyses at http://bobistheoilguy.com for more info. and you'll see what I mean.

Oh- and I wouldn't use the Redline water wetter. I saw cooling system deposits on mine when I used it with the Toyota Red.

alaskacruiser, Thanks for the tips. I only ran 3k on that first oil change since it was the first time that it's had synthetic in it and since we're about to put another 4k on it this week with a road trip. I plan to go 5k on this next round (or probably more like 6k before I get around to changing it).

Completely up to you.

Personally, I'd yank it. But then I wouldn't have let anyone else touch it in the first place, either. :D

Since you're taking the time to ask, it's probably bugging you enough that you might as well change it. You don't have to drain the oil, right? Just pull it off (I wonder how badly they over-tightened it???), throw the "right" one on, and top it up.

Curtis

before I let the guy do the oil I told him of the oil filter being cranked on from the PO and how I had to have a shop get it off when I bought it. He agreed that they don't need to be that tight and assured me it'd only be hand tight.

I'd be more concerned about the tranny flush and coolant flush (that they either used Toyota Red or flushed it fully out before putting in a different coolant) than the filter. The filter while not the best in the world will work perfectly fine for the oil change interval.

I'd be more concerned about the tranny flush and coolant flush (that they either used Toyota Red or flushed it fully out before putting in a different coolant) than the filter. The filter while not the best in the world will work perfectly fine for the oil change interval.

They put in the green stuff. he said that it took forever to get all of the red completely flushed out but that they did wait until it was gone.

I'll leave the filter on there until we return.

Thanks all.

I'd consider checking on his contention the filter's not on too tight. They have lawyers that write their policy and it's to crank filters on until the filter's bulging. By checking on it, I mean when the engine's cold I'd reach down there and loosen it, then tighten it to your preference. If as I surmise it's cranked on there, you won't be able to move it once it's been run a few days and the rubber seal is baked/locked into place.

DougM

I'd consider checking on his contention the filter's not on too tight.

Yup.

After all, they were also told to use the filter you brought, but they didn't have any trouble screwin' that one up. :lol:

Big picture: As folks have said, you'll be fine regardless. Don't be like me and start worrying/obsessing about every single possible little teensy weensy itty bitty thing right before you leave on your trip. :eek: :doh:

:D

Curtis

Thanks, I'll see if I can turn the filter tomorrow morning. I won't stop worrying about every little thing for the trip until we're about in Iowa knowing me. And they call these things vacation?

Ive owned 8 vehicles and no one but me has EVER changed the oil on any of them.

Oh yeah, youre truck will be fine with a Midas filter for one oil change interval...or many.

No one ever touched the oil on my 60 when I had it and I don't plan on letting anyone at the LX from here on out. It's just that we're in a time crunch, weather's crappy, just got pounded with snow, and I don't have a garage space to work in.... I know, excuses excuses....

Thanks all for the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom