Headlights- HELP! converting Hdj 81 to fj 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Posts 57 and on provide all the technical data with pictures to complete the conversion. There is also a final post about JDM Compliance and HDJ 81 Headlight compliance issues.

thanks
Bitehard

Another Headlight thread with information/expertise requested.

I am changing the existing hedlights from my HDJ 81 to those from an FJ80 to comply with the DOT/SAE requirements in Canada.

I have searched and searched and searched....to see if anyone has done this and if so have they posted the process.

I am going to have to change the buckets(still looking for a set) due to the fact the JDM 81's have factory fogs and the 80's don't (as I am sure most of you know).

I have :banana: :banana: possibly :banana: :banana: :banana: skills when it comes to these things so I am hoping someone out there has done this or can offer some guidance.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Another Headlight thread with information/expertise requested.

I am changing the existing hedlights from my HDJ 81 to those from an FJ80 to comply with the DOT/SAE requirements in Canada.

For what its worth, I met a guy today (in the Home Depot parking lot) who passed his inspection by blocking the specific part of the lens that casts the beam too far to the right. He painted a small wedge with a point that began just beneath the centre-line of the main beam, and became 1" tall at 3" to the RHS of the truck. He said his inspector was a stickler, too, but he let that go. As long as the light points in the right direction and is bright enough, they might let you through.

on edit: I might be into swaping light assemblies with you if you're still looking. I have a US-spec truck, so I likely won't need to pass a VI.

Well it has already passed inspection but because of my my job over at SPD I need to make sure that when DOT clamps down I am organized. Our Traffic unit has been contacted by DOT and they are advising them about things to inspect when stopping RHD's and will likely issue notice and orders to demand retroactive compliance (DOT's orders not our department) even though i have a BC VIN.

Thanks for the information though.

PS Do you work with Seegmiller?

on edit: I might be into swaping light assemblies with you if you're still looking. I have a US-spec truck, so I likely won't need to pass a VI.

AAAah cr** You are kidding! I had posted in the wanted portion of mud with very limited success. That said I believe only the 90-93 FJ models fit the 91 HDJ. But I am still looking for the buckets and the 94 might be a possibility. Somebody who knows more than I might have some input.

thanks

IronYuppy send me a PM and we can discuss the change, I am here in Vic as well.

Bitehard,

You know that your 81 has the H4 high/low and H3 fog light bulbs/harness.

The US-spec rig has the HB4(low?) and HB3(high?) bulbs so unless the wiring is already there for you to use (your 81 "should" have an extra harness for the inner high beams bundled up with the fog light harness if you looked for it carefully) the HB3/HB4 might be a bit tricky to swap with.

But if you're :banana::banana::banana: man then you probably can take care of it.

Another option, if they go for it, is to source the European-spec (E-code) 80 headlights with H4 high/low and inner H1 high beams. That way you should not have to mess with non-existing wiring.

BTW, I think sticking a piece of paper/tape on the lense is something that is done in Europe when the Brithsh go across the channel or vise versa, driving on the other side of the road.

BTW, I think sticking a piece of paper/tape on the lense is something that is done in Europe when the Brithsh go across the channel or vise versa, driving on the other side of the road.

Hey, you know, that's a great idea. Both England and Mainland Europe require headlight adjustment for cross-Chanel trips. I have seen these tape-on "adapters" that change the beam pattern slightly, so LHL vehicles can drive on the RHL and viceversa.

I don't klnow if they're model specific or if they are just sheets of flexible lens that are cut to fit.

There's got to be an on-line source for these adapters.

on edit: there is!

http://www.care4car.com/productdisplay/productid/36/Headlight_Beam_Deflectors.html

http://www.motormania.co.uk/product_details.asp?intDescID=585

http://www.motorshop1.co.uk/lefthandbeams.htm

Last edited:
Bitehard,

The US-spec rig has the HB4(low?) and HB3(high?) bulbs so unless the wiring is already there for you to use (your 81 "should" have an extra harness for the inner high beams bundled up with the fog light harness if you looked for it carefully) the HB3/HB4 might be a bit tricky to swap with.

But if you're :banana::banana::banana: man then you probably can take care of it.

Another option, if they go for it, is to source the European-spec (E-code) 80 headlights with H4 high/low and inner H1 high beams. That way you should not have to mess with non-existing wiring.

Well no I didn't know that....I have been talking to other mud folks who advised the 80/81 swap is possible and now I am going to minus one:banana: for not knowing that! The primary difficulty is that this is my DD and I cannot afford much down time.

Thanks for the sticker idea but it is mostly about DOT/SAE compliance....d*** the man!

FYI Venezuelan FZJ-80 VX trim carry the E-code Low/High H4 bulb and the inner high beam H1 for left hand drive (No buble level adjustment as USA spec) !!!!!

May be, you would like to expend a nice short vacation on a sunny beach in south america, so just order the headlamps and came here to pick them and have a lot of :beer:

Last edited:
Dude....would I ever! Very very tired of winter. I am sure its all going to work out....if you find something that needs picking up let me know.

I would have this many:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: and do very little.

Keep us posted, I'll be interested to know how you solved your problem.

My HDJ81 still has its original headlights, I've was pulled over last week just by curiosity (and actually proud of it, hehe), they were a bit suspicious at first ("Ho do you manage driving on the right hand side?""Just as with any new car, takes a few weeks to feel perfectly at ease") but relaxed after looking closer at the truck... And they never looked at the lights.

Yup...I will definitely keep you posted. I don't think too many coppers will check beam pattern on a roadside stop unless DOT has ordered them to....which I am afraid is not too far off.

Bitehard,

People here use a bit of opaque tape to reduce or eliminate the left hand spray of JDM lights. Apparently the opaque tape is placed on the portions of the lens that cause the light to spray left. The headlights end up looking like American football players eyes with the blacking. ;) I've not had the experience of trying this as I replaced my headlight assembly before I learned of this cheaper trick. Any opaque tape should work.

Before I changed my headlights, I set one of my driving lights pointed right to give me better lighting of the curb.

Kalawang

Another option might be to go for Slee's aftermarket headlight harness... I'm not sure how much of the orriginal it replaces or if it would work on an 81, but if it would the swap would be pretty easy

Some interesting developments....As I removed my lights for curiosity I noticed the coveted DOT/SAE stamps on the back of the light housing. I may only have to apply some stickers then to correct the left handed hockey stick effect. I took some photos as well just in case

MOT if you have a look you can tell me if the European e coded ligths are plug and play and if they have DOT on the lens.... I wouldn't mind grabbing a set in order to keep the factory fogs. I know you were giving Nick W a hand with this before he rolled his 81

The light harness does in fact have the extra harness for the inner high beams.

So now I have a set of fj80 lights arriving in the mail that I may not need.....:doh:
121_2179.JPG
121_2187.JPG
121_2188.JPG

BH,

If you haven't already you can check the below thread and see what the Euro-spec lights have on the lense:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=82714&highlight=Euro

Maybe you can keep a snapshot of the backside of your headlight housing and/or the Euro-spec lights and let them know that your lights (at least the housing:)) is DOT-approved.:hillbilly:

Has your government say that "E" code is as good as SAE or DOT or you'll have to have DOT? If it's the former, then you'll be good to go with the Euro-spec lights.

Supposedly there's a place/shop in Canada that is selling the Euro-spec lights (not certain if they're identical to the ones in the link above) for pretty dang cheap (much cheaper than I can get them; thread in the "JDM alliance" or whatever section here on Mud, IIRC).

HTH's and let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Mot:)

Supposedly there's a place/shop in Canada that is selling the Euro-spec light

Any keywords?

There should be an FAQ sticky about JDM light conversions!

BH,

If you haven't already you can check the below thread and see what the Euro-spec lights have on the lense:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=82714&highlight=Euro

Maybe you can keep a snapshot of the backside of your headlight housing and/or the Euro-spec lights and let them know that your lights (at least the housing:)) is DOT-approved.:hillbilly:

Has your government say that "E" code is as good as SAE or DOT or you'll have to have DOT? If it's the former, then you'll be good to go with the Euro-spec lights.

Supposedly there's a place/shop in Canada that is selling the Euro-spec lights (not certain if they're identical to the ones in the link above) for pretty dang cheap (much cheaper than I can get them; thread in the "JDM alliance" or whatever section here on Mud, IIRC).

HTH's and let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Canada has specified that E code headlights are acceptable for usage on Canadian roads; CMVSS 108.1 allows the usage of "E" code headlamps lacking DOT markings:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations...mvsr108_1.html

But section (b) also specifies that “despite the requirements of the ECE Regulations referred to in this section, are set to be used on vehicles designed to travel on the right-hand side of the road” which I would construe to disallow any “reversed” beam patterns such as that produced by headlights meant for use in Japan or European countries that drive on the left-hand side of the road.

I bought a new set of E code light assemblies with the correct beam pattern for my 90 HDJ-81 off of this board for $400 Cdn. shipped ( http://www.maxoverdrive.ca/parts.asp?id=TOYOTA ), as they were only bought last week they have not arrived so I will let you know what the results are. Given my location in Alberta it would likely never be an issue but changing the lights to the correct beam pattern is the proper thing to do whether it is required or not by legislation.

This is a good page explaing the markings etc. as well:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/codes/codes.html

Last edited:
I bought a new set of E code light assemblies with the correct beam pattern for my 90 HDJ-81 off of this board for $400 Cdn. shipped ( http://www.maxoverdrive.ca/parts.asp?id=TOYOTA )

That is not what I would call cheap. For that kind of money, I would expect to get xenon lighting. Then again, I notice they have what seems to be good prices on other items (as far as the Canadian Market goes): glow plugs for $20, that's nice. That's the price they used to be at the dealer a few years ago. Although it's very slow to load if you're not on broadband, I'm bookmarking this site for sure :)

Last edited:
But section (b) also specifies that “despite the requirements of the ECE Regulations referred to in this section, are set to be used on vehicles designed to travel on the right-hand side of the road” which I would construe to disallow any “reversed” beam patterns such as that produced by headlights meant for use in Japan or European countries that drive on the left-hand side of the road.

Maybe you already knew but the "Euro"-spec headlights I was speaking of were for the LHD drive vehicles (steering wheel on the left side/driving on the right side of the road, like in the US/Canada).

BTW, $400CDN is VERY reasonable for those lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom