Finally used the winch today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TOY350

#1 Super Guy
SILVER Star
Threads
Was heading up shooting today and was flagged down by a couple of kids in a Blazer, they saw my winch and asked for help. I followed them up to a Jeep that had slid off the road and being kept on all fours by a tree. Yanked him out by snatching to a tree with no problems. Then they said the 4Runner was another 1/4 mile up. Got to it and it was a little more of a problem, had to run a line off the rear frame up to a tree with a come-along to keep the thing from wanting to roll. I put the Jeep behind me and chained bumper to bumper incase the Runner started moving down (it wouldn't have went to far because of all the trees). My friend brought his Expedition right up by the Runner and I snatched off his tow hook and pulled the runner sideways back up from it's front end. I then snatched off the line attached to the tree to finish bringing him up. It was an interesting recovery for me, we took our time and made sure of all our connections. If it wasn't for the trees today both rigs would have tumbled a long way down. So...I broke in the winch and syn line today by helping out some others.
Recovery01.jpg
Recovery03.jpg
Recovery02.jpg

I guess I better put one up of the winch actually working :grinpimp:
Recovery04.jpg

In picture 3 are those the 4Runner's tracks indicating he arrived in that spot backwards at 40mph or so? Just curious what his explanation was.

DougM

In picture 3 are those the 4Runner's tracks indicating he arrived in that spot backwards at 40mph or so? Just curious what his explanation was.

DougM

Nice observation Doug, I was so wrapped up in deciding on the recovery technique that I didn't pay much attention to his story of how he got there. If I can get his story I will let you know.

Where is your winch line running to in post #2? Looks like it's up in a tree or something?

good job!

you had the snatch block tied to the truck rather than to a tree?
seems like that would be more dangerous, no?

Nice! Great recovery techniques!

Where is your winch line running to in post #2? Looks like it's up in a tree or something?

Doc, in post 2 which is the 4th picture overall: I had them secure the rear of the Runner to a tree up above on the bank where they were ratcheting the come-along as I was trying to pull the front end up onto the road. After I had my friends Expedition along side the Runner from which I snatched off his bumper to the front of the Runner, to get a perpendicular pull and basically drag the runners front end back up onto the road. I then ran out of winching room because the Runner was getting too close to the Expedtion, I had the Expedition back out of the way and then I put my snatch block on the line that they had secured to a tree up above and continued to pull the runners front end back onto the road. This was the only route I saw possible without pulling the Runner off of the shrub it was leaning on, if I pulled straight ahead or back I think the thing would have rolled once onto the trees.

DougM

I was thinking the same

I the first pics there are no wheel tracks behind the 4 Runner
the I saw the next pic with the tracks in front

That woulld have been one hell of a ride .Defineitely time for a clean pair of jocks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom