White smoke on start up? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After getting a valve job, I'm seeing something new; as soon as I start it, a big puff of white smoke comes out the tail pipe then it goes away and appears to be fine. I keep it inside, so I assume its not condensation. Anyone have any experiences in this area? It's a "88 FJ62, 215,000 miles!

Seafoam Fairy?

If you are sure it isn't condensation, I would also recommend a compression test. It could also be the Seafoam fairy > :princess: <...

...she comes deep in the night and places a tablespoon of her mystic

juice into your intake... I'd set up some cameras.

What High Desert said - you may have a headgasket leak

Well a little white smoke on a cold engine could just be condensation.

Remember it this way--if the white smoke doesn't go away, THEN you have a problem. If it disappears after a few minutes, it's just water vapor. Part of the chemical equation for the combustion of gasoline includes H20.

I would re-torque the head bolts and adjust the valves and give it another go........ keep a close eye on the coolant level and read the plugs to narrow it down to a specific cyl if symptoms persist.....

2 or 3 seconds, soon as I pump the gas twice, it's gone.

I had a shop do the compression test after the valve job and I had done one myself recently as well. All was OK there.

So, if the smoke goes away after 2 pumps on the throtle, is it less likely to be a headgasket? I just replaced it after the valve job, less than a hundred miles ago. But i haven't retorqued the headbolts since the valve job. That looks like PITA, simply because I have to take the rocker assembly off again. How neccesary is retorquing the head bolts?

So, if the smoke goes away after 2 pumps on the throtle, is it less likely to be a headgasket? I just replaced it after the valve job, less than a hundred miles ago. But i haven't retorqued the headbolts since the valve job. That looks like PITA, simply because I have to take the rocker assembly off again. How neccesary is retorquing the head bolts?
a MUST:beer:

Retourqe. Do it. The consequences of not doing this xtra step can be high.

Good luck, John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom