having carburetor problems on fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am having carb problems on my 79 fj40. does anyone here know of a mechanic in the houston area that knows landcruisers?
when i adjust the fuel/air adjustment screw, there is very little response. i can even remove it completely and the engine will keep running with out much of a difference. because i cant adjust it i cant get the idle right. any ideas?

thanks,
marty

when i adjust the fuel/air adjustment screw, there is very little response. i can even remove it completely and the engine will keep running with out much of a difference.

That's not surprising. What would be surprising is if you turned it all the way in and it still ran.

So what makes you think you have a problem?

Sorry, can't help you in Houston.

i am having carb problems on my 79 fj40. does anyone here know of a mechanic in the houston area that knows landcruisers?
when i adjust the fuel/air adjustment screw, there is very little response. i can even remove it completely and the engine will keep running with out much of a difference. because i cant adjust it i cant get the idle right. any ideas?

thanks,
marty
most normally if you have to mess with a idle/air mixture screw your only covering up a another problem.unless another was in there rednecking:D .sorry cant help on the location :beer:

no help on Houston, but is your timing right?

If you're looking for a local to look at it, try posting in the TX-Houston forum here on MUD. It's a pretty strong club from what I here.:)

As far as the carb goes, look down into the venturi with the carb running. You should not see ANY gas coming out of the emulsifier at idle if it is working properly. If there is gas, chances are the idle circuit is not operating properly, and the idle speed screw has been overtightened to compensate for it.

Best

Mark A.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom