Oil Gauge Mod??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.peopleschoiceins.com
Has anyone done an oil gauge mod (similar tothe temp gauge mod) to make it more accurate?

If not modded gauge, how about a replacement gauge and, or sending unit?
D

It is not accurate. It has no pressure # associated with it.

Not having numbers doesn't mean the gauge in innacurate, it simply means that it does not have a scale that you are familiar with. The purpose of an oil pressure gauge is to alert you if there is a problem with your engine from low oil pressure or high pressure, the number are irrelevant for day to day. If the gauge goes significantly above the line at 2/3, you know that either the pressure relief spring for the pump is broken or the sender is bad. If it doesn't come off the line at the bottom you have no pressure. It communicates all the things an oil pressure gauge should, so there is no need to modify it.

I agree with Cary sort of. I would like a real gauge, with real numbers. I have no idea if my 1/4 gauge at idle is 5 psi or 35 psi. As others have noted, the gauge is not linear, and is basically a moving idiot light.

What about a mod so that good oil pressure reads in the middle, low in the bottom, and high in the top third? The 80 series oil gauge often indicates low pressure all the time. Isn't that what dtalyor is looking after? Has anyone ever attempted to actually work on the OEM oil gauge circuitry?

Ins't THAT the real question, instead of numbers and external gauges, to have the OEM gauge work over all of its scale for a proper visual cue of the oil pressure?

A moving idiot light is right. This would be a valuable mod just as the water temp gauge mod and possibly as simple. The fact that the stock gauge sits at the bottom does not mean that there is no oil pressure. As a matter of fact, my gauge reads just that when hot at idle. An aftermarket gauge and sender in the same mounting spot shows 25 psi, which is acceptable. Lets get the mod going if someone has time.

I am curious about this too. While under load (up hill on the freeway) my gauge sometimes reads in between the two thirds line and the max line. The rest of the time it seems to hover right on the 2/3 line. It always makes me wonder if this is normal or not.
Can an 80 have too high an oil pressure?

what would you do to it?

mine spends most of its time at 2/3 mark (relief pressure) and the rest at the 1/3 mark at hot idle, seams just fine to me.

If your 1FZ is showing something different than might be a fault not as by design

That is possible. My truck and Dans both show really low oil pressure at idle. Mine I know for sure is 25-35 hot but shows 0 on the factory gauge. I was hoping to see something more accurate like the water temp mod.

the temp gauge mod dealt with a known intensional flat spot from Toyota "middle temperature stable" written on the back in Chinese

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=57834

The oil pressure gauge has no such fault as issued, your gauge or sender has an error.

I like they way mine works . Before the temp guage mod you could tell if the motor was getting warmer on long grades. I can also tell the diff between 10 30 M1 and 15 30 mobil 1.

as long as it doesn't have a flat spot in the wrong spot, it's fine with me. Mine seems fine to me. :)

the temp gauge mod dealt with a known intensional flat spot from Toyota "middle temperature stable" written on the back in Chinese

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=57834

The oil pressure gauge has no such fault as issued, your gauge or sender has an error.

I tend to agree with the fault being in the sender or the gauge. My 1HZ reads 1/3 at 3000rpm and bottom mark at idle when engines at operating temp.

With an after market gauge on the truck it reads 40psi at idle and 65psi at 3000rpm.

I've shorted the sense wire at the pressure sensor to earth and the gauge read 1/2. I'm told by many 80's owners in Oz that this is quite normal and the gauge in the truck is pathetic and not designed for accurate information.

If some one can come up with a mod I'd be very interested. I just want the gauge at 1/3 at idle and 2/3 at 3000rpm.

snip

If some one can come up with a mod I'd be very interested. I just want the gauge at 1/3 at idle and 2/3 at 3000rpm.

well, IIRC, that's what mine shows....

I tend to agree with the fault being in the sender or the gauge. My 1HZ reads 1/3 at 3000rpm and bottom mark at idle when engines at operating temp.

Exactly like on my JDM...

I've shorted the sense wire at the pressure sensor to earth and the gauge read 1/2. I'm told by many 80's owners in Oz that this is quite normal and the gauge in the truck is pathetic and not designed for accurate information.

This is very interesting... I would assume that a healthy gauge would peg to the top with the sender wire grounded! The mod then would require modifiyng the gauge meter in such a way to increase deflection, possibly by reducin tghe value of a resistor inline with the movement itself...

f some one can come up with a mod I'd be very interested. I just want the gauge at 1/3 at idle and 2/3 at 3000rpm.

Exactly my point... Anyone with a spare dash gauge they are willing to offer for research?

you guys are not listening, making something do what it did when it was new is not a "mod" it is called a "repair".

I have a spare oil pressure gauge but it already does this, there is nothing to mod.

I agree, don't see any dead spot in mine. It reads at the 1/3 idle and 2/3 at cruise. To test pull the wire connector off of the sender, turn the key on and the gauge should read at the bottom, not move. Ground the wire at the sender and the gauge should read at the top, if not repairs are needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom