Problems with OME 2.5" Lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just had a 2.5" OME standard lift kit installed. I know that there is a settling in time. After the springs and shocks were installed I was told that there was no need for an alignment because the steering wheel was straight and there wasn't any pulling while driving straight. So in the interim the caster correction kit was not used. I was told to drive it for about two weeks and if there was a problem to bring it back.

Now, I just measured each wheel well and there are no two alike. From the lowest to the tallest there is as much as a two inch difference. I asked if there was a chance that the springs could have been mixed up and the answer was no. I was also told that when the springs where sitting on his bench they were the same size in height.

Is all this normal?

One thing I have to say is that my rig has a much nicer ride now. Also, I did measure all of the wheel wells just before I had the kit installed and they all measured the same. I was surprised when I saw that.

The springs are not the same hight. One spring is longer than the other and needs to go on the side with the longer axle (Bigger distance from diff the wheel). It is not two inches longer though.

The springs are not the same hight. One spring is longer than the other and needs to go on the side with the longer axle (Bigger distance from diff the wheel). It is not two inches longer though.

About 15mm if memory serves me correctly.

If your two inch difference is front to back, then it probably isn't a problem. If it's two inches side to side, then something is wrong.

You should definitely get the castor correcting bushings, as your emergency handling will suck without them.

Make sure you tire pressures are the same.

If you measure from the fender to the ground you are including the tires, and therefore including the actual tire height- and that changes based on tire pressure.

Look in the FSM and see how to properly measure the ride height, the way described does not include tire diameter.

He be right except the hight part.

Where I come from its height.

He be right except the hight part.

Where I come from its height.

He is right except the "its" part.

Where I come from it's "it's".

:flipoff2:

If your two inch difference is front to back, then it probably isn't a problem. If it's two inches side to side, then something is wrong.

What he said.

You'll see a height variation front to back normally.

If they got the springs on the wrong sides on both axles than the greatest difference in height will be between the driver's front and passenger rear.

You used to be able to verify the springs are on the correct side by simply looking at the tag on them. Anymore I'm not clear thats the case.

I have the taller spring on the longer axle side and used 30mm spring spacers to balance left to right. hmm

As for centering the steering wheel (after an alignment), I end up tweaking that out myself on the road.

I apologize for the delayed response to all or your answers. We had our annual game dinner at my Gun Club this weekend. It's a 2 day event with a lot of preparation for our sunday dinner. I definitely appreciate all the advice. Tomorrow I will post the exact measurements of difference between all of the wheels.

Thanx :grinpimp:

OK here are the measurements taken from the center of each wheel.

LF———————RF
35.5" . . . . . . 36.5"______1" difference

LR———————RR
37" . . . . . . . 37.5"______.5" difference

Now the mechanic is not familiar with LCs and he is the only one I could find to install this Lift kit. I will go back to him and have him install the Caster correction kit. Would this have anything to do with the unevenness of the vehicle?

OK here are the measurements taken from the center of each wheel.

LF———————RF
35.5" . . . . . . 36.5"______1" difference

LR———————RR
37" . . . . . . . 37.5"______.5" difference

Now the mechanic is not familiar with LCs and he is the only one I could find to install this Lift kit. I will go back to him and have him install the Caster correction kit. Would this have anything to do with the unevenness of the vehicle?

Caster correction won't make a difference to the L/R lift heights. Fronts coils need to be swapped. Not sure about the rears, because the taller RF will give a compressed reading on the LR, so you need to do the fronts first and then remeasure.

I had the same issue with my truck--it sat lower on the left side. The spring tagged "A" was on the left and had to be swapped to the right. After swapping the front springs, the truck sits level. The front springs affected the rear stance as well, meaning it was down in the rear left due to the front springs being backwards.

My understanding from Slee is the OME kits have instructions for Australian DS and PS and some people here put the springs in US DS and PS when in reality, that results in a backwards install.

Here's my thread on the same problem:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=131926

Hope this helps.

the taller of the two springs goes on the left side of the rig.

Caster correction won't make a difference to the L/R lift heights. Fronts coils need to be swapped. Not sure about the rears, because the taller RF will give a compressed reading on the LR, so you need to do the fronts first and then remeasure.

Makes a lot of sense, I'll have him switch the front springs and go from there.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Ok, I swapped the front springs and had the CC bushings put in. I'm glad I had the chance to drive my rig w/o the CC bushings because there is definitely a difference. One thing I noticed is the truck doesn't feel top heavy when evasively turning the wheel while going straight. I guess the handling is back to or close to OEM specs. Thanks for all the help mud, I definitely made the right decision.:beer: :beer: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom