Bump stops hitting springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trunk Monkey

Threads
I've got J springs, 1.5" spacers sitting on top of the bump stop, and caster plates. With the axle a little angled from the caster plates, the bump stop is hitting the spring. I am trying to figure out a solution.

I've ordered the earlier frame mounted bump stops. I'm thinking if I cut the conical bump stop in half, it will still work to locate the spring, the tip won't tag the spring, and the frame bump stop will limit the axle. Sound like a viable plan?

There's a lip just above the rubber bump stop (red line) where it turns into the steel cone. That lip it tagging the coil right in front of it, makes great "whang" noises driving. There's an indentation in the steel (yellow line) where I'm thinking about lopping it off. One issue I see is that it would be an open cavity where road crap could collect.

Last edited:
I don't think that looks right...you sure you bolted that up right?

Nope it's all bolted up right. The way the caster plates turn the axle allow the spring to contact the bump stop. I've got two friends, identical set ups, identical issue. Between this and the tie rod hitting the control arms I'm thinking about ditching the plates, replacing the OME CC bushings and just living with somewhat twitchy steering.

I've also got a very similar issue, and have had it for some time. It got to the point that the entire pass side bottom half of the bumpstop ripped off. I note that the drivers side is angled too but it doesn't contact or anything, it's just the pass side. I don't think it's hitting the springs, but I've never gotten under there to look under full flex. It mostly happens during high speed hits (which is 99% of my offroading).
bumpstop-2.jpg

bumpstop-1.jpg

The sound is rather annoying but I've somewhat gotten used to it. Hasn't caused any damage in about 2000 miles of 100% offroad so...

With the amount of lift you have, your control arm is effectively to short, the axle is being pulled back, and is also being rotated from the plates putting it in an all around bad situation. Slee arms, CC bushing in the rear frame mount, or dealing with no caster correction would all fix your problem.

they sell all kinds of aftermarket hydraulic or gas stops don't they?
any that could readily be bolted to the rails?

I've got J springs, 1.5" spacers sitting on top of the bump stop, and caster plates. With the axle a little angled from the caster plates, the bump stop is hitting the spring. I am trying to figure out a solution.

I've ordered the earlier frame mounted bump stops. I'm thinking if I cut the conical bump stop in half, it will still work to locate the spring, the tip won't tag the spring, and the frame bump stop will limit the axle. Sound like a viable plan?

I suggest you first try switching the bumpstops. If that doesn't work, or doesn't work well enough, try adding washers judiciously to adjust the angle of the bumpstops. In my case, I switched them and it was sufficient.

Kalawang

when i installed the plates, it caused the same rubbing issue with the spring and bump stop.

Are you sure that it's stock. The distance from the bumpstop to the spring perch looks to me to be greater than stock.
100% stock, the bottom half of the bump stop tore off from hitting the metal pad - I assume this is where you see the discrepancy between what I have an what you're used to.

OK, I see that now. Something is bent then like the panhard rod itself. Was the truck in an accident?
It was daily driven by my mother prior to me buying it off them... so yes :eek: Guess it's time to take measurements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom