Got some compression numbers today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did a quick compression test today on the engine I'm planning on pulling. These are the numbers. Rather surprising.

#1 Nothing! Well, I got about 10-15. Checked it a couple of times too.
#2 through #5 got between 115 and 125
#6 a solid 140

What do these differences indicate? How could the first cylinder have practically no pressure?

Got 14-12'' and a steady needle on the vacuum tester.

This is a pic of the spark plugs I pulled out of #1 and #2. I just about threw up. Suppose I've been a 4 cylinder for a while.

attachment.php

Right now the plan is to pull the engine and do a complete rebuild. Has anyone ever bought a rebuild kit from Cdan?

Do a valve adjustment and see what #1 compression does. Maybe one of the valves is just staying open. It is also possible you just need the head rebuilt.

Hi Dave, how many miles do you have on your 60? Just curious, I had my
compression checked last year at 188,000 mi and my mechanic said all is well.. just watch the oil and rpm's and it should be good a good many more miles...just how many I guess time will tell.

Dave

Your is an 84 right?

I called to order parts for the one we pulled. He had a boat load of questions. I guess in 84 they did some changes on the engine. If was built after this date you need these parts, if it was build before this date you need different parts. There are no number on the block.

If your engine is the oringinal to that vehicle you should not have a problem using your vin#. I know Toyotas are good but I have a had time believeing that the one we pulled out of the brown 84 FJ60 with 264k on the odo was the actual miles of the engine.

After talking to Cruiser Dan I have to pull the the oil pan and check the number 3 main bearing to see if it is an early of a late series. Depending on what it is will depend on which parts I need to order. the oil pan gasket is different as well as the rear main seal.

Hi Dave, how many miles do you have on your 60? Just curious, I had my compression checked last year at 188,000 mi and my mechanic said all is well.. just watch the oil and rpm's and it should be good a good many more miles...just how many I guess time will tell.

Hi Jeff, I've got around 200k right now. Appears to be pretty poorly taken care of by the previous owner, you know that takes its toll.

After talking to Cruiser Dan I have to pull the the oil pan and check the number 3 main bearing to see if it is an early of a late series. Depending on what it is will depend on which parts I need to order. the oil pan gasket is different as well as the rear main seal.

New news to me Dan, I thought all 2f parts where interchangeable. I should be able to look on my door sticker for the exact build date. How are C Dans prices compared to Sor?

How are C Dans prices compared to Sor?

I thought that a 2F is a 2F and that the newer ones just have more emmission stuff on them.

I have to pull the oil pan and let him know which engine I have before he can look up the parts and give me a price. I will use Cruiser Dan this time. If the service is good, I will use him to get part for the other two rebuilds.

. How are C Dans prices compared to Sor?

well.
BWHAHAHAHA
$or charges an arm and a leg just to put the stuff in a box, then they charge for the box, this is after they charge above and beyond what toyota would charge you.

cdan charges less than what toyota wants.....if you are a tlca member and if i'm not mistaken does'nt charge for shipping, atleast on smaller orders.

the difference is the thrust bearing.. after 10/84 date the multi-piece bearing is used as in pic #1..... before 10/84 old style as in pic #2... the pan gaskets are the same, the rear seal is also interchangeable... no biggie
4 brg.gif
2pc.gif

the difference is the thrust bearing.. after 10/84 date the multi-piece bearing is used as in pic #1..... before 10/84 old style as in pic #2... the pan gaskets are the same, the rear seal is also interchangeable... no biggie

I thought they were the same. I just wanted to replace the rear main and the front seal as well as the pan gasket while I have the engine out. I'll pull it apart and see which production date I have.

heads are different in the later models. As is the rotating assy (lighter)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom