replace exhaust pipe studs with bolts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone replaced the exhaust manifold studs with bolts? if so, any particular kind/rating? any pros/cons that I should think about?

Cons: You can't hang the manifold and intake from the studs while installing making it harder, If the bolt gets stuck in the head you more than likely will snap it off in the head. Studs allow you to use brass nuts, if the nut freezes to the stud you can easily just strip it off without harming the studs.

Pros: Bolts are cheaper otherwise I can't think of any...

Only recently found out about running brass nuts...exhaust guy said it was the only way to fly :D

And don't forget the anti-sieze:D

Ed

Only recently found out about running brass nuts...exhaust guy said it was the only way to fly :D

Yep, I had the local machine shop tell me about this trick when I had a set Ford 360 heads freshened. While removing the exhaust I had broken off 3 bolts in the head! Two I was able to fix but they had to get the third one out. When I went to pick them up the guy had a set of hardened studs, brass nuts and washers in a bag. All for $10 extra. He explained he did not want to extract any more broken bolts and to tell everyone I knew about this. :lol:

So you've been told! :grinpimp:

I like it! I am currently reworking a manifold set and will give this a try.

Just one word about brass nuts....................do not over-torque them.:doh:

Ed

Cons: You can't hang the manifold and intake from the studs while installing making it harder, If the bolt gets stuck in the head you more than likely will snap it off in the head. Studs allow you to use brass nuts, if the nut freezes to the stud you can easily just strip it off without harming the studs.

Pros: Bolts are cheaper otherwise I can't think of any...

I just installed my rams horns with Grade 8 bolts. It was a cake walk. In terms of removing the "studs" they're a PITA to remove. I had three studs on the bottom that were stuck in the RAMS. I tried to remove those faukers but they would not budge (heated with a torch).

I gave up and took them to the machine shop and it took them an hour to remove. I asked the machine shop guy (Edwards Engines) about bolts in the mainiafold and he said it would be okay as long as they are grade 8.---so I have bolts in my Rams horns. I hope there won't be problems.

I've run studs and brass nuts on various exhaust manifolds. Also use spring lockwashers instead of split lockwashers, as they don't dig into the nut.

Sometimes brass lockwashers aren't the best, though. Some headers can require a fair amount of torque to properly seal, even with thicker "header" gaskets. You can strip out the brass nuts. In this case, I use regular nuts with anti-seize, and once a year remove each nut and retorque it to ensure it won't stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom