Shackel reversal ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just completed a shackel reversal on my 1972 FJ 40 using the Skyjacker kit wich includes 2.5" springs on the front and 4" spring on the back to level the stance. I welded tubes in the frame and used manafre's dogbone shackels and the stock hangers for the front, and the stock length shackels on the rear. My problem is now it sit high in the rear and low in the front. It takes 3" of lift with the floor jack under the front bumper to level the stance. I am thinking 4" springs on the front to replace the 2.5" springs may level it. Any suggestions? :confused:

The kit you bought is meant for the suspension "correction" type of reverals (LCAH, Man-a-fre) not the stock hanger. 4" all around would have been a better choice. As you tubed the frame is it possible that your reversal is negative lift? That might make up the difference in the front. It's been a long time since I've read up on the reversals using the stock hanger, I don't recall if they use stock shackles or longer ones.

skyjacker kit

I bought the kit from skyjacker and it did not mention anything about needing the man-a-fre steering correction kit. It did say that the kit would correct the normal rear low stance prevelent with the FJ 40 by utilizing the different spring heights. The kit came with shocks and I suspect the front shocks will be to short if I change to 4" front springs. What up with that? :mad:

Not necessarily a bogus kit... just a different design..... the MAF kit gives a 1.5" lift because of the mounting bracketry.... here is a pic so you can compare.... its had to see but the rear hanger but its mounted under the frame.... this one I'm using 2.5" springs + MAF 1.5"rise = 4" front.. and 4" springs on the rear... I may have to level the rear with some shackle lift, due to the extreme rear load this cruiser carries...
bruse (22) (Custom).JPG

What would you suggest? New 4" springs or the MAF shackel reversal kit? I was trying to maximize the approach angle by staying with the stock hangers. But maybe this is not such a big concern.

Skip the MAF "rock finder" SR. It is an expensive and labor intensive way of adding a little lift. Otherwise, it does nothing for your ride or approach angle IMHO.

If you want the best approach angle and lift, go spring over with a shackle reversal using the stock hangers and do a cut and turn.

If you want the best approach angle and lift, go spring over with a shackle reversal using the stock hangers and do a cut and turn.

true....

So...... Alstoy.. what is your objective anyway ????

My 1972 FJ 40 has SBC, saginaw steering, NV4500, 3 spd t-case, warn winch, 16" wheels with 33" tires. I am not into harcore off roading but I do want a reasonably capable vehicle. I decided to do a lift to keep the 33" rubber from rubbing. I mainly use the vehicle for Moose hunting in northern Canada and I tow a small off road utility trailer. I road the vehicle to and frrom the north country thus the NV 4500.

search for mark w's ride pics on the longest wheelbase 40 thread. if you can spare some approach angle it looks really nice.

I know the MAF kit requires you to flip the front springs. Was this the case with yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom