Tuffy Console Installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Already looked at the FAQ postings and found nothing. I want to put a tuffy console in my 71 fj40. I was wondering if anyone had any pics of their installation? I'm not sure what size I need (6 1/2 or 8 " wide.)
Plus I am not sure how it would fit with my rear heater hose in the way. 300 + bucks:eek: for this console I want to make sure I get it right. Thanks in Advance- Matt

Already looked at the FAQ postings and found nothing. I want to put a tuffy console in my 71 fj40. I was wondering if anyone had any pics of their installation? I'm not sure what size I need (6 1/2 or 8 " wide.)
Plus I am not sure how it would fit with my rear heater hose in the way. 300 + bucks:eek: for this console I want to make sure I get it right. Thanks in Advance- Matt

6 1/2" fit fine in mine.:)

Ed

My CCOT center console has a hole cut out for the rear heater hose. The Tuffy box probably has the same type of cut out.

size really depends on the space btween the seats...take a tape and see whatcha got. In my case with aftermarket seats, 6 1/2 was perfect (didn't get the stereo version since its 8" at the front. I could've squeezed an 8" in but it would've crowded my fat ass :D

As to the heater, I pulled mine out, but CCOT has a bracket that raises it up to clear the hoses and so does $OR

SOR Linky

:beer:

Tuffy Center Console install

I installed the 6.5" version with the radio holder in mine. I bought a mounting plate from CCOT that mounts to the factory seat frame. I also have factory seats. It has a hole cut in it to allow the rear heater hose access to the heater. Email me at wsmahan@hotmail.com and I will shoot you some pics. The mount was around $30.00

Mine fit right in with the holes already in place for the back heater hose. However, the years of wear on the original seats had it in a tight squeeze. Then, I backed it up for the stick (I bought the optional cup holders) and it brought it above the back heater. When you tightened it up, it brought pressure to the top of the heater plate. To fix the problem, I just bought some hard plastic spacers and put them in over the plate. Lifted the console so that the fan in the back stopped scraping the top of the incasement. I have the long console with the stereo/CB section.

Hi outdoorlady, thanks for the detailed discription. Do you by chance have a pic of your console ? Thanks- Matt

6 1/2 inch with radio slot in a 78. i didn't get a bracket. mine just sits on the seat rails. i made a bracket that goes from a seat mount bolt to the console and bolts through...the diagonal piece in pic 2. did a similar thing on the front under the cupholders. rock solid. kinda tight between the seats, but it's great.
DSC_0021.JPG
DSC_0424.JPG
DSC_0422.JPG

The bracket that I saw last weekend from a new Tuffy had a slot for the heater hoses. You don't even have to unhook the heater with the one I saw. Don't think it came from CCOT.???

Later,

The bracket that I saw last weekend from a new Tuffy had a slot for the heater hoses. You don't even have to unhook the heater with the one I saw. Don't think it came from CCOT.???

Later,

Tuffy makes a bracket with a cutout for the heater hoses. It is Tuffy part #057-01 and allows you to mount the 6.5" wide console on top of it.

if you do not use the adapter bracket be careful if you decide to drill new holes in the foward part of the console ...the fuel lines run in that area underneath...I found out the hard way.....it was a 79 not sure if the same ..just a heads up...

thanks for all the info...and the gas line warning!:eek: When i do put the console in I will be very careful regardless. sometime what you think is the simpliest job can turn on you:frown:

My $0.02 on the tuffy is is can be an elbow beater for the passenger on rough roads. My buddy has one in his rig, I rode shotgun with him on the Rubicon and Fordyce a few times while my rig was under construction. My elbow got nail good a few times.

The cup holders can also be mounted on the back side of the tuffy......

I had clearance issues with my stick shift and didn't want to move the console back, so my cup holders are on the back side...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom