Shifted Axles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My truck pulls to the left when I drive on pavement.

I've taken it to an alignment shop who said they couldn't fix the pull but adjusted some other things into spec.

Just LOOKING at my truck, I could tell the front axle seems shifted to the left, with the rear axle shifted towards the right. Each axle is shifted about an inch away from center.

I can't see how the lift alone would cause this, and nothing looks bent or out of place looking at the suspension.

Whats the fix for this?

IMG_0117.jpg

If you installed a lift w/out adjustable panhard bars then your diiffs are out of place. Either get adjustables or extended panhards for the application of lift you got.

Uhh-Cody-Look under your truck. See those diagonal bars that run from the frame to the axle? Those are the pan hard rods. As you lift the truck, they become effectively too short. They pull the axle to one side or another. It's totally normal. You can either forget about it, or get the pan hard rod adjusters from Christo Slee at Slee Offroad.

They should NOT make your truck pull one way or the other. Only toe-in can be adjusted, so don't look for an alignment to fix your problem. A slight pull right down the camber of the road is also totally normal. If it's more than just a hint of a problem then something IS wrong. Best case scenerio - a bit of tire pull. Worst case, a bent axle. Try swapping tires side to side and see what happens.

Well the axles are definately each pulled to opposite sides. Its not a crown of the road thing...flat parking lots, opposite crowns, etc...I pull to the left as if slowly changing lanes.

I would imagine having the axles centers 2" away from eachother would cause the truck to pull.....especially since the pull goes toward the way the axles are shifted...I'll look into the adjustable panhards...

I went browsing around other there and I see now how lifting the suspension would shift the axle that way. I guess I had to just look at it all to understand what kept the axle from shifting side to side...now to search for a pair of adjustable panhards...thanks!

Am I really wrong in assuming the pull and axle position are unrelated?

I would think it would be fairly obvious that if you pushed one axle one way and the other the opposite way that the car would want to DRIFT that way...

I'm assuming that with their orientation, if I drove straight in reverse and let go of the wheel it would pull to the right side.

I'm definately not alignment/geometry expert here but I can't imagine the axle orientation wouldn't cause a pull to one side...

I will check the brake pads tho Landtank, thanks!

I drove around for several years before I finally got an adjustable rear rod. I had no drifting problems at all.

I imagine everyone who installs a J lift with the stock panhards would get the same axle shifting result?

Anyone who lifts one higher than stock will get a shift. The higher the lift, the greater the shift.

I imagine everyone who installs a J lift with the stock panhards would get the same axle shifting result?

It's a 100% certainty. They have a fixed length, they have to cover a longer span, so they pull the axle to the attachment side.

Well I'll definately be surprised to find out it would drive straight with the axles moved that far from center....but I'll try the other things first.

When I swap my tires around...would I want to send my Front Left tire to the Right rear...or Front rear, etc.....for a rotation to potentially fix this?

To diagnose a tire pull switch the tires from side to side. Start by swapping the fronts.

I'll do some work on it tomorrow, measuring stuff, noting pressures, etc...and keep track of any changes or what does fix it to hopefully help someone else. Thanks!

I drove around for several years before I finally got an adjustable rear rod. I had no drifting problems at all.

X2 (allthough I have only been driving around for 2 months)

Cody, if all tires are pointing straight forward, regardless of the axle's offset the truck will go straight. It will however have a different turning radius between right and left.
yep..

what did the alignment shop say?
(actual numbers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom