will 285/75-16s rub? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
colorado front range north Lat: 40:23:57N (40.399
Website
www.rm-mi.net
Hey there YodaHeads

my machine is a 1994 landcruiser, stock.. 161k miles and countining...

just requested some tires be avail to put on saturday... what is on my yoda now is 265/70-16 ... seems that 275 are stock on that yoda i understand...

question

will 285/75-16's rub?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=cnr-750906196

these Goodyear Wrangler silent armours are the tread..

feedback?

thanks

justin in loveland colorado
new yoda keeper

1994- stock for now
to be dented soon
then lifted at some point

all roads that go nowhere
are where gnosis begins
and knowledge is power
so off I go, nowhere

They don't rub on mine, stock.

Been covered about 100k times, but no you can fit a 33x12.50, 285, 295, or 305 w/o rub, and I believe 34x10.50 fits also.

Been covered about 100k times, but no you can fit a 33x12.50, 285, 295, or 305 w/o rub, and I believe 34x10.50 fits also.

Now it's been covered 101K times, so what :grinpimp:

My 94 has 285's and there's no problem.

Welcome :flipoff2:

Be sure to check out the FAQ as well as the rest of the forum. You will find most of your answers there and if not do a search, you'll be amazed what information is on this site.

Good Luck

thats why i am the newbie

now.. that i got that over with... i will have to search first, and you mean i am supposed to read directions?

you guys are hard arses

jheesh

;)

thanks

will have to avatar and set my profile up later..

justin colorado newbi with the 94 yoda

you won't have a problem with the rubbing, but maybe consider something different. Those 285's tend to be very expensive when you compare them to something like a 33x12.5r15. The 35's were even cheaper than the 285's. Just something to think about. I've gone through this and found that 285's are way too expensive for me to justify even though they look so darn good;)

you won't have a problem with the rubbing, but maybe consider something different. Those 285's tend to be very expensive when you compare them to something like a 33x12.5r15. The 35's were even cheaper than the 285's. Just something to think about. I've gone through this and found that 285's are way too expensive for me to justify even though they look so darn good;)

Problem there is that US Spec 93+ cruisers (97ish% of them atleast) require 16" wheels due to the large rotor/caliper assembly.

Yea, I've don't little stuff before. Thats why I didn't give him a hard time, just told him that it had been covered before so that he may search for most of his problems before he posts (to get those newbie questions out of the way by himself).

hes right about the wheels. i had 33x12.50 on AR 15" wheels on my '91 fj80. then i wrecked the '91 and put all my stuff on a '97 lx450 except for the tires and wheels.

I have 285/75 R16 GY MTRs. I put them on before the lift. No rub. Why the Silent Armor tire?

I have 285/75 R16 GY MTRs. I put them on before the lift. No rub. Why the Silent Armor tire?

one because i will never go to BIG HO again, so i am using a Goodyear dealer next to my house

two, because that is what the 'off road' comes in, i am the :flipoff2: and my tweak experience is from my old 1988 R100GS.. (may she rest in peace) and so while i could save some on tires at first .. it is like i have a new girlfriend and i want to lavish her (ie, my yoda) with nice sexy shoes

they look cool

i also want to give the yoda a chance fairly stock with good tires, i am an old school guy that good tires like good skiis make a big difference when you really want traction and i want to see how the beast does on some of these northern colorado rocky mountain trails before i decide if 2" lift, or 3" lift is in order....

i will run heavy with two dogs 3 kids and sexy girlfriend (nanner) so

um yeah, they look cool.....
(in my mt bike riding i have always gone with kevlar since i beat the s***e out of the things climbing on boulders and scree and not a fan of changing a tire in an acward place... )

will do pics

justincolorado

94 yoda

He asked about the silent armor because it isn't a very highly regarded tire. BFG ATs, Bridgestone Duellers, Firestone Destinations...all are better tires with about the same road manners.

No, I asked why get road tires when you're paying as much as you could for Goodyear MTR tires that kick the snot out of the Silent Armour on everything but ice. He's in the mountains on roads. He made the right choice.

No, I asked why get road tires when you're paying as much as you could for Goodyear MTR tires that kick the snot out of the Silent Armour on everything but ice. He's in the mountains on roads. He made the right choice.
see i am the newbie to the 4x4 and the quick and dirty is i am never in my home town since commute is 1 hr, work 8+ hours then commute back... in the past i used big ho tires since they were everywhere and blah blah but they finnaly pissed me off too much with the lack of communication and feedback on my vehicles about what they see when they rotate and balance, they r too focused on wham bam next car

so i asked around and this goodyear tire place was recommended by folks here for the small town 'we will take care of you' approach they do

i asked the guys there about what to get, wanting to do white rim trail and white pine meadows and storm king mountain as well as pearl pass and the like...

this is the tire they suggested

how do the next tier of off road tires compare on daily driving to the rocks between what i have the putting on as we speak and the next aggressive off road wheel?

on icy days i take the yoda and or drive to ski and or like you know, drive to Fruitia or Moab or WY or MT or NM...

curious..
and i will get photos and avatar and all that when i get a moment... i am procrastinating as it is on bills and finance budget work ( you all know the drill)

thanks
justin

Justin,
In our FAQ (stickey thread near top) we have a write-up on Tires that might help you.

I had BFG At's and was real happy with them for general wheeling and colorado winters. I have since switched to a more aggresive MT tire.

hmmm..
http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/results_tire.jsp?mrktarea=Light+Truck

yeah, looks like the silent armour is good for now, i need to see what my yoda does... given i want to tow a small box trailer for base camp gear hauling, motorcycle hauling, etc... perhaps this is the tire i run? ... the MTR with less dry traction and such and more single purpose... dang, well... i will have to watch other yoda-heads on group 4x4 trips to see and compare how we climb the same slopes....

i do like the look of the MTR and since the yoda is my only cage other then my girlfiriends subaru... since i run motorcycle as much as possible when dogs not involved or too many groceries required to haul home....

... :D

i am glad i found this forum tho.. have brake work next... a possible caliper issue on right rear... will look at after lunch..

l8tr
justin
N40°23.93874, W105°4.30716

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom