Real Time Help - Valve Cover Gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working on replacing the valve cover gasket. Having a little trouble getting the valve cover off, seems stuck on there pretty good. Any suggestions on how to go about breaking her loose?

Thanks
Rookie2

make sure all the bolts are out and then pry it up with a screw driver or similar.

Double check the bolt thing!

Thanks Rick. We can always count on you bud.

Got it off. Just like you said... a few friendly taps with a screw driver down along the seam and she broke free.

Thanks again.
Rookie2

Okay, well another little hurtle. Thought the spark plug tube seals would just pop out with a screw driver. Went to tapping from the top side, but the inner ring of the seal just broke off. Now trying to get the outer ring out. Any tips on these little babies?

Thanks,
Rookie2

Yes, I've gotten 4 out by tapping a screw driver between the seal and the cover and then prying them. Seems to scratch the rim of the valve cover a little. Remember what you used to drive the new ones back in?

Yeh, I was afraid of breaking the center piece off using a hammer. The new ones probably aren't as brittle at the old ones though. I straightened out one of the old ones and am using it to drive the new ones in. Seems to be working okay. We'll see.. four down, two to go.

Thanks,
Rookie2

Okay guys. Final question. Going to put her back together in the morning. But before I button it up, I'm going to check the valve clearances. Does it matter which way I turn the crank in order to line it up with TDC? Clockwise versus counterclockwise? Should it take much force?

Thanks,
Rookie2

Clockwise is better, that way you do not apply loosening force on the crank bolt. It's not likely that you would loosen it but why chance it. If the spark plugs are in you will have to overcome the compression.

Cool. Thanks Dan. Ordered these from you a couple of years ago and finally decided to install them. Got an interesting picture of the #6 spark plug wire I'm going to post at some point to get you all's take on it. The end that seats to the spark plug had a lot of build up on it. This is the spark plug I had trouble with and wasn't able to get it out (hole may be striped), so I left it in. Was never able get it to seat real tight, wonder if there's something going on there. Been running fine, so I've left it be.

:beer:
Rookie2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom