45 rear seat in a 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am cruising along on restoring my '70 FJ40 when my wife takes one look at the jump seats and says "No way are the kids riding on those." So, I need to hunt down a conventional rear seat. After checking the FAQ, searching and looking at different options, including other OEM and Jeep flip & folds, I am not real happy because I want something that looks OEM. It occured to me that the FJ45 rear seat might work and have the same style tube construction and metal seat back, but I can't find a good picture of one. Has anyone done this swap or have pics or measurements of the FJ45 rear seat?

Last edited:
Have you thought about modifying the long style jump seats. I have not got that far on my build to worry about it.
Just a thought.

Are you saying the wife doesn't want you to rebuild the side jump seats and you want to install a crossways seat?

That is what I had in mind. I want to keep the look of OEM with the metal backs and round tube framework. I am now considering taking a pre '71 front split bench and modifying it into a flip and fold solid bench. I would need to narrow the seat bottom some, cut and splice the seat backs into a single unit, then have the seat cover custom made, but I think it would be worth the work. If I go that route, I'll post some pics.

Are you saying the wife doesn't want you to rebuild the side jump seats and you want to install a crossways seat?

Yes. I guess I can see her point. I plan on restoring the jump seats and hanging on to them anyway so I can pop them back in once in a while.

O.K., after further research, it looks as the 44 series troopy seat would work but is a long shot as far as finding one, and the 45 series wagon seat is a no go.

The 45 wagon seat:
310-30G-R.jpg
310-30G-Rb.jpg

I was at cruiser solutions a few weeks ago and they cut the wheel wells on the inside of a troopy. They were adding forward facing buckets in the back as a second row. Hell of a lot of work but a very cool idea.

Also, the 45 wagon seats fold forward and don't lock down very well. I have a wagon and I wouldn't strap my kid to the back seat of that. Font end crash and the seat would flop forward and do some serious injuries. There are brackets but they snap in and unlock with the slightest push.

Last edited:
I was looking over my '71 FJ40 seat. It's a split bench, with a single drivers seat and a double width passenger seat.

Why couldn't you get one of these, without the driver's seat, or sell off the drivers seat, narrow the frame, alter the attachment points to fit, and use it for a crossways back seat?

If you decide to go that route I have a wide passemger side seat that I would like to sell. One of my buddies is going to Katemcy and will be traveling through the phoenix area adn dropping some stuff off.

PM me if you are interested or want some measurements and pices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom