Tire swingout opinions please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I built a rear bumper, or at least a start. You can see what I've got so far here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=1871785&postcount=35

I built it so that I could add a tire carrier to it later. Now I want to start thinking about that portion and have a few ideas but wanted your guys' opinions and pointers.

I'm pretty sure I want the tire on the DS any downsides to this?

I'd like to mount other stuff too... my hi-lift, probably a basket for jerry cans or a cooler, maybe a CO2 tank mount, etc.

But I don't know if I should do one swingout that goes all the way across the bumper, one half or 3/4 size swingout, or two that are either equal or maybe a 3/4 length and a 1/4 length? I can see some of the pros and cons, but what do you guys think?

I don't want you to tell me what you like, give me a reason why.

Anything I didn't mention that you wish yours had or things to avoid? I want to learn from all your mistakes or pet peeves.

BTW, I will be building this myself with parts from IPOR or Slee, maybe a trailer spindle from northern tool.

Gentlemen, start your engines.......

I think the tire should go on the drivers side because I think you have better visibility. Looking over your right shoulder you can still see though the passenger side of the rear window, and you can use the drivers side rear view to see the left side.

I like the split swing out. The full length swing out requires, what, five or six feet of space behind you. The split requires half of that, much easier to deal with in tights spaces or parking lots.

I would latch the swing outs separately. Mine uses one latch for both, and I have to then have both swing outs installed to use one. I take them off to keep my truck in the garage, and it would be nice to be able to just put one or the other on, depending upon what I'm doing.

Several bumpers are rigged with the tire swinging to the left..for better "curb access".

I know I'd want the weight of the tire to be on the left, (driver's side) My ome has me leaning right, ARB says they "plan" on spares being mounted left.

I'd also want a "stop" to keep the tire carrier from swinging closed on my ass while I was digging around in the back..

JON

I'd vote passenger side so as to avoid other cars hitting it if it's open into the street, just hang it so you can still see. Plus, mine has a slilght lean to the D-side...

I'd also do the split design with two latches as well.

X2 on high desert's wish for something to keep it open when it's supposed to be.

HTH.

I have to double check my lean. I think I'm lower on the DS. Still, I like the idea of being able to see over my right shoulder.

I had thought about the length of a full width swingout, but I'm also considering the cost of 2 of everything.

I will be putting a spring pin on to lock the arm open and closed (as a second to the latch)

I hadn't factored in removability, that's a good point.

My spare is on the DS and visibility is fine, I wouldn't want it on the PS. I also have the full length swing arm and haven't run into any issues with it. The idea of it being a problem in parking lots and opening to the street are valid ones I suppose but not places I plan to spend a lot of time.

I prefer DS for the visibility. If you are worried about traffic- add in a stop to keep the arm from swinging past 90 degrees, and add a reflector to the arm so that people can see it at night (or get fancier and add an LED or two).

This is my daily driver so parking lots and my limited parking space is a real concern.

I sill add a spring pin so it doesn't go past 90 degrees.

Another thought.... My bumper is 8 inches deep with 4 inch 45 degree cuts on the ends. I've thought about mounting the spindle toward the back of the bumper and making the swingout cross bar with a 45 degree turn in it so that it latches flush with the aft portion of the bumper. Essentially following the bumper lines. Make sense? Would this weaken the swingout too much?

My rear bumper has the double gate, tire on the driver's side and my jack, jerry can, license plate and tug strap on the passenger's side.

The spare carrier is adjustable up and down to adjust for a larger or smaller tire for maximum rear ground clearance.

The hinges are home-made (like the rest of the bumper) and are reinforced (see photos).

1983BJ60beautyshotanglerear.jpg

Driverssidegateopen.jpg

Adjustable-spare-carrier.jpg

Driverssidepin.jpg

Driverssidehingedetail.jpg

Passengersidehinge.jpg

Driverssidecorner.jpg

Last edited:
This is my daily driver so parking lots and my limited parking space is a real concern.

I sill add a spring pin so it doesn't go past 90 degrees.

Another thought.... My bumper is 8 inches deep with 4 inch 45 degree cuts on the ends. I've thought about mounting the spindle toward the back of the bumper and making the swingout cross bar with a 45 degree turn in it so that it latches flush with the aft portion of the bumper. Essentially following the bumper lines. Make sense? Would this weaken the swingout too much?

That would change the leverage point. I'd think it through. My first tire carrier fell off (in the driveway luckily). #2 is holding up well. #2 has a solid 1.5" spindle welded in/through the whole bumper. My design uses a silicon impregnated brass bushing, rather than a bearing-spindle. It's stiff enough I don't have to worry about free swing. I do know that when I jiggle the spare tire, it torques the entire left side of the bumper - thus, don't under estimate strength.

On the latch, I use the standard Slee type, but mine is horizontal. Five years now, no breakage, a little wear and one adjustment.

Lastly - watch your overall weight - saggin wagon.

Bob

I've looked at yours before, it is very nice. How much time and money did it take you to turn those spindles? And would you consider doing a couple more?

What do you use to shave the spindle down, a chisel? My Father-in-law has a lathe but doesn't use it much, if at all. I should ask if he can teach me how to use it.

I've looked at yours before, it is very nice. How much time and money did it take you to turn those spindles? And would you consider doing a couple more?

What do you use to shave the spindle down, a chisel? My Father-in-law has a lathe but doesn't use it much, if at all. I should ask if he can teach me how to use it.

I have a friend with a lathe. I'm not any sort of a machinist, but he showed me how to work the machine and best practices for turning steel. It wasn't too hard. Takes some patience though.

The metal for the spindles cost me about $50. The grade 8 hardware was around $10. Pretty cheap comapred to Slee. If you want to start a dialog on how they were made, I would be happy too. PM me if you like. As far as making another pair, since it's not my machine I couldn't promise that. My friend's wife got a little cranky about the amount of time he spent working on mine. :rolleyes:

Hi, how are you guys mounting the Hi-Lift jacks? Rig-of -Mortis Thats one cool rig. I also like your super beefy bumper. 4" wide?

I've been trying to figure out where to mount the Hi Lift. If I do a one piece swingout (which I'm shying away from now) It would mount horizontally behind the tire.
With a two piece it will probably mount vertically toward the outside of a basket.

Check out how Slee or Solid Rock Off Road do theirs if you want pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom