Knuckle centering Real Time help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yzftaco

Goofy-Goober
Threads
I'm rebuilding my front end, and am using the do it yourself SST that was posted in Trails a long time ago.

Post #5 https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=97181

Question: the indicator maxes out on the top side of the knuckle and when i get to the bottom side there is like 1/8" between the seal surface and the indicator (not even close to touching)

Do i put lots of shims on the bottom bearing to bring the knuckle down????

Last edited:
I tried adding shims to the bottom and taking some off teh top, and the preload went up and didn't really center it either.. although with an 1/8" i would need lots of shims i assume

You just need to adjust the position of the indicator tip so that you get a reading at the top and the bottom. When the dial indicates the same top and bottom the spindle and seal bores are concentric. Half the difference between the top and bottom measurement is the change in the size of the shim. You have to add the shim to the side that has the closest surfaces and subtract from the sides farthest away, which in your case would be remove from the bottom and add to the top.

Ok I have one thick shim below and 2 thick and 2 thin above ....... Before your advise i had most below..

My "tool" when the pins are riding on the lower surface of the knuckle my indicator is reading the lower surface of the seal surface.... from bottom to top therre is a .065 difference.... I zeroed the indicator on the lower and when rotate towards the top the indicator does two turns and .005.. (.0005 indicator with 0-15-0 dial)

So to bring my preload back up, and to center it.....Should i put a thinner shim below and add some to the top??

is it un-heard of to have NO shims on the bottom??? Also If I have all the shims up top does that mean the lower bearing has all the pre-load on it??

I'm going to play with it and see if i can figure this out....

Last edited:
Distance A - What is it?

What is distance "A" - Can I measure with an 8" dial caliper?

Knuckle_Centering_Distance_A_small.JPG

Thanks

PS. Where's a good place to buy a "fish scale" guage? I have my old Zebco "Fisherman-De-Liar", but thought maybe I should get something a few d3ecades newer.....
Knuckle_Centering_Distance_A_small.JPG

I wish i had the oem SST so i could use that diagram, but that's no what I'm using... thanks though!

I like how your scale is called a fisherman liar....

have you looked at www.toyota.spx.com? they have an oem centering guage for a reasonable price. better than messing around with a jimmyrig and having to do it all over again.

from bottom to top there is a .065 difference....

So to bring my preload back up, and to center it.....Should i put a thinner shim below and add some to the top??

Again, it would depend on which way the difference is oriented.

You have to add the shim thickness to the side that has the closest bore surfaces and subtract from the wide side .

ok i now have good preload when measuring off the steering arm... and I'm .03 difference now..

I have one thin on the bottom, and three thick on top...

I'm worried that the lower bearing is going to take all the punishment with all the shims up top...

the OEM equipmenty for centering your knuckle is simple math. OD-ID divided 1/2 for equal shimming. start at the bottom then determine your top per pre load. The job may be tedious but is reletively easy.

Let me rephrase this.... I'm worried about ALL the shims being on top and none on the bottom... Is the lower bearing going to take all the torque??

Or does the preload even out between the two bearings when the nuts are tightened even if all the shims are up top??

Yes, the bottom bearing handles most of the vehicle weight load, but the shim pack thickness has no bearing on this.

But you want it centered so the axle to birfield is straight and comes out centered into the hub.

Matthew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom