swapping seats & changing adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
olc4x4.com
Has anyone tried to swap the PS and DS seats?
My DS foam is shot to the point of killing my back after about an hour behind the wheel.
I thought this may be an economical fix, even though adjustment levers will be on the wrong side.

Does anyone know of a way to get the seats to adjust more upright?
The layed back seat position doesn't do it for me.

Thanks!

the outer set of feet are taller than the inner set so the chairs would be tilted sideways by a few inches.

But you could drill the front feet off which will allow you to remove and swap the rails from one chair to another and then bolt the feet back on.

The chairs then would sit flat and the passenger would have the lumbar support adjustment instead of the driver.

A new cushion from Toyota (CDan) is I think around $150, and you'd either need to do the hog ring work yourself or have a shop do it. I'd do that before any type of ps/ds swap.

I can get my seat very upright by bringing the backrest forward, raising the rear of the seat cushion and lowering the front so it is pretty much flat.

Sadly, 80 series seats are small and tight and pretty uncomfortable. My old Jeep Cherokee was a dream compared to the 80 with the same basic seating position and I am 6' 2". But the 80 seat cushion is relatively unsupportive, tends to sink as it warms, and the side bolsters are too tight once the seat sinks.

Mine's been rebuilt...not sure what else could be done, although if I bought a new cushion I'd personally use a knife to cut the bolsters down so the seat was more flat before I put the leather back on.

Of course, Landtank's brackets are slated to go in this weekend and I am hoping nirvana awaits :D

When I put aftermarket seats in mine they needed to use the runners from the OEM seats to bolt the new seats in.

The runners bolt to the bottom of the seats, so it may be worth pulling the seats to see if you can swap them right for left leaving the runners on the same side of the vehicle. The only other problem as you pointed out will be the adjustment lever, will it fit without hitting the centre console?

Thanks for the input!
I think I'm going to get the new foam from cruiser Dan and take it from there.
I'll keep everyone posted if I come up with a good way to improve the vertical adjustment of the seat.
Thanks again!

Wow, I never thought this would be addressed. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I have 6 herniated disk and I am always trying to get this seat to fell comfortable. I've replaced the seat cushion and it has improved but I am still having problems not as bad. I wanted to replace the cushion in the back support thinking the passenger seat feels great maybe that's all I need to do. The only problem there is there aren't any more foam backs in the US anymore (according to Toyota). As luck would have it the back foam pieces are interchangeable. So that's my next little project, to change the back foam pieces with one another.

When I changed the bottom cushion I place a piece of carpet between the bottom cushion and the springs to add support so the foam wouldn't be penetrated the spring base. By the way the bottom cushion is not interchangeable.

As far as I know they are different part numbers.

I only advertise more legroom.

And it is a huge difference having just finished the install :cheers:.

Anybody who is having problems with the seats who is also tall should do this install as a priority.

Well for anyone's concern I swapped the back's on the front seats. My driver seat back had three back support springs that had broken welds. That was easy to fix, I just drilled a small hole through the spring bracket and into the side frame and secured it with a sheet metal screw and it was like new again except for the foam back having 200K on it. I still went ahead and swapped the backs and it feels like a new chair now. My wife said that her seat didn't feel any different too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom