77 FJ40 Disc brakes opinion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As a newbie member and longtime lurker, I am considering doing a rear disc brake conversion on my 77 FJ40. I think I'm going to use the TSM Manufacturing kit, Downey Offroad's bigger Master Cylinder with proportioning valve, and 2 psi residual valves.

I was wondering if this is a good way of going about fixing my brakes. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Have fun!

Aaron

Ok but do i need the bigger master. I do not mind spending the extra money just as long as I am doing it right the first time.

Ok but do i need the bigger master. I do not mind spending the extra money just as long as I am doing it right the first time.

I'd say you do not. Just take the residual valve out of the rear circuit on your stock cylinder and see what you get. You may need a proportioning valve, or not.

Why not save the money "the first time" and update if necessary?

Thanks for the help so far. The next question is do I buy the flexible brake lines from a buisness or just use swaglok . I am familar with sweglok, we use it at work

I agree with FastEddy, but I would spend the $40 and install the proportioning valve from the get-go. I "tested" my rig after going 4WDB and thought I did not need to adjust the valve until Bambi ran out in front of me at 60mph. Damn near pulled a Rockford turn. I just have manual brakes, though.

This is the new guy again. Have been reading all the info. Are the JT outfitter brackets different from tsm. The rotors I thought were off a Eldorado along with the calipers What are you guys shimming?

Aaron Jones

In your original post you said "I was wondering if this is a good way of going about fixing my brakes."

Do you have a problem with your current brales?? or are you just thinking performance upgrade?

Last edited:
This is the new guy again. Have been reading all the info. Are the JT outfitter brackets different from tsm. The rotors I thought were off a Eldorado along with the calipers What are you guys shimming?

Aaron Jones

Read Wes1977's link, use Poser's brackets (you can find him here on Mud). They are top quality, less expensive than others, and only need painted. The Eldorado rotors are only needed if you don't have e-brakes. They have e-brake shoes inside the hat. My local brake guru told me that they aren't all that great. Get the rotors listed in Wes's link and get somebody to chuck them in a lathe and turn out the inner diameter to fit over the Cruisers hub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom