Frame Over Headers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I've been trying to find some block hugger headers and unfortunatly the two pairs I tried are just too close to the steering rod for the Siganaw Box by a pu**y hair.

When we mounted the motor I should have shifted it about 2" to the passagner side to accomidate headers or blockhuggers. Seems that I'm gonna be stuck using the frame over headers.

Anyone have pics of the exhaust route with frame over headers?

Regards,

UNO.

Too close too...

A hammer to the header pipes will give you more than a pu**y hair's worth of clearance. :)

Sorry I should clairify, the pu**y hair is from a cave woman. Unfortunatly there is not a hammer large enough to force the fit. Is more like 1" braded pu**y hair.

A trick/solution that a lot of hotrod types use is to put an intermediate bushing in the steering shaft and add one more u-joint. This way you can step around the headers. Pretty straight forward.

Just a thought.

Jeff

That's a good idea, but I already have two joints in my steering rod. I'm too afraid to have anymore from a safety standpoint...

Why can't you shift the engine more to the passenger side? I made the bolt holes in the AA front weld-in mounts a slot so I could move mine where I wanted.

I'm telling you, your going to end up doing it sooner or later when you get tired of having every wire under your hood melt together, your rubber floor mat welds itself to the floor, you replace spark plug wires every 3 months and make tightening header bolts part of your pre-drive walk around! Oh yea, my headers lasted a year before they rotted outdown inside where the 4 pipes go into 1. You will have to revisit this nightmare so why not fix it right the first time?????

Then when I did see the light and went to ramshorrns, then I had to live with the hack to the inner fenders that had to be done to fit the wire-burners. I would never recommend those things to anyone and would certainly never put them on anything I own, even if they were free. Pay me to use them and.........and.........and............hell, I wouldn't even use them then.

Good luck.

Last edited:
chevy has an exhaust manifold similar to the ramhorn style only instead of a center dump it's got a rear dump, any chance these might work for you switched around so they front dump. I've heard of another FJ40 owner doing this but am unsure of why for the application. Good luck, if all else fails I would move the engine/drivetrain instead of going outside the frame.

Fender Exit Headers SUCK! don't bother bro! my Saginaw and Rams horns work just fine! i think i have got at least 2" of room.. My engine Sits 1" to the Drivers side due to my Front Drive shaft.. give us a photo, sounds like somthing is jacked with the way the steering was done!

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Good news! I went back to the machinist who rebuit my motor to see if he had any rams horns that would fit my application. Sure enough we walked out to his yard and found some rear dumping 2" pu**Y hair rams horns that will fit!

The machinist is going to clean them up with his acid dip and baker. SHould have them tomorrow.

Here's a pic of the steering set up I"m running. Orginally the Reason I didn't think I'd need to trim the front fenders is becasue the PO already did. You'll notice that the are somewhat butchered but not too bad.

View attachment 124589

Late,

UNO

Last edited:
You can also have a look at Headman "Tight Tubes". They have more clearance than regular block huggers.

I priced the headman headers out today...They are nice SOBS, but they are very expensive, like $350... Too much of diminishing returns when buying those faukers.

I think that price is for ceramic coated. I paid about $180 for the painted version but that's still about double other block huggers. I've ran them now on 2 different cruisers for years and I'm happy with them.

I'm sorry to step on this here, but it poses a question. As we are just starting on coming back off the frame on a 40 with SBC, am I best off to install the headers before I fab the PS when I get that far? Also, as I'm running the SBC on an old Advance Adaptor setup to the original 3 speed, could anyone suggest a header, or are the Hedmans my best bet?

not trying to hijack but.....

i just found my stocker ram horn cracked would i be best off getting a replacement or should i go ahead and go to a header how much extra heat do those things put in an engine bay and i already sounded like i was running straight pipes with the stocker manifolds how much louder are headers going to make it?

i just found my stocker ram horn cracked would i be best off getting a replacement...

I just bought a second spare set of ramshorns on EGay for $25. They're out there and you can occasionally pick them up cheap, especially if you arenot in a hurry.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=300077782757&rd=1,1

To anser your second question, very hot, re-read my earlier post #9 if you are considering the over the frame headers. If none of this matters to you, GO FOR IT!

Last edited:
Here are is the pic of the Rams I was able to get----For Free!!!! Fitting is great. I"m a happy camper. Thanks forum members for your insight and convincing me to go with the rams.

Now in terms of headers I had a nice conversation with the "guy" who built my motor and he said that headers add very little power. They only provide a very nice sound. My guy said that all the peformance is in the motor and "not" headers.

The Rams are in great shap and cleaned up well. In terms of buying them new, you can from NAPA. Just ask for a 1975 Corvette exhaust mainafold. They'll fit....

View attachment 124888

View attachment 124889

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom