Automatic Antenna Dash Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just saw this switch on ebay for an automatic antenna dash switch (see pic). Apparently it is from a '90 HD 80. Does anyone have any experience with this switch, and is a '94 FZJ80 wired to accept it? I'd love to add it to my rig if so.
9c91_1.JPG

I just saw this switch on ebay for an automatic antenna dash switch (see pic). Apparently it is from a '90 HD 80. Does anyone have any experience with this switch, and is a '94 FZJ80 wired to accept it? I'd love to add it to my rig if so.
9c91_1.JPG

Even if the plug fit, I doubt it will work as expected. I suspect the antena motor is not the same.

Heck the motor is for sale on ebay also.

That would make an AWESOME winch switch! winch on/off and in/out all in one. It would be very slick

Even if the plug fit, I doubt it will work as expected. I suspect the antena motor is not the same.

I wonder if it's as simple as a relay inside the switch itself, that supplies constant power for the duration of the up/down cycle.

Sort of the "automatic" driver's wndow switch.

Yeah, I was wondering whether the switch had some kind of relay in it or if I would have to get a relay for it.

I wonder if it's as simple as a relay inside the switch itself, that supplies constant power for the duration of the up/down cycle.

Sort of the "automatic" driver's wndow switch.

This switch is too small to have a relay inside if it´s the same size as the stock up/down cause I have one in my hands right now :frown:

Best bet would be to source the wiring diagram and compare them.

May be if you ask the seller how many pins have his switch connector ?

The stock switch has 6 pins and two of them goes through the harness directly to the motor.

Hope I am wrong but I guess there must be a black box any were controling the antena. It doesn´t make any sense to have a special antena motor for this case. I would use the same motor for all series 80 antena and add a black box with the current sensing circuit for the auto shutoff feature when reaching up or down position.

Again best bet is to look for the wiring diagram.

I would bet the "auto" button controls whether it goes up or down when the radio turns on or off. If that's the case, I think you would just wire the blue antenna wire to the switch and then to the radio wiring harness.

I'm pretty sure, the "auto" button controls whether it goes up or down when the radio turns on or off. If that's the case, I think you would just wire the blue antenna wire to the switch and then to the radio wiring harness.

That's my guess too.

80senough - What are you thinking posting that up here? Nice job you:censor:tool.

That would make an AWESOME winch switch! winch on/off and in/out all in one. It would be very slick

It would, but as soon as you press the UP/DOWN buttons the auto button pops out. You can't be in auto and manual at the same time.

You could over come this by breaking the switch open and removing the mechanics thst pops the Auto button out.

These switches ware available in the Sahara version of the 80 in Oz.

I would bet the "auto" button controls whether it goes up or down when the radio turns on or off. If that's the case, I think you would just wire the blue antenna wire to the switch and then to the radio wiring harness.

Look behind the blank switch panels in the bank where the Demister and CDL is. You'll find the plug that connects to this switch. If you don't have the control module you'll blow the radio fuse as soon as you press Auto. At least this is what happens with an Oz 80 when this switch is connected.

Some knowledge of electronics, a wiring diagram and a soldering iron can fix this little problem.

Maverick,
Thanks for the good info and the heads up. You probably saved me some money. (Speaking of money, I am guessing Jenny Cruiser must be bidding on the item on ebay due to her less-than-friendly message. I hope she will be comforted to know that no one has bid on the item since I did before I posted this, and my high bid still wasn't enough. She underestimates the civility of 'Mud members.)

Last edited:
My pleasure. You guys seem to have an antenna switch with just the up/down buttons. I'm getting one sent to me from the US as this switch is about US$130 to buy over here.

I've already tried the one in the pic and lost the 15 amp fuse, when I get the other one in the mail I'll stick it in without modding it and see what I can blow. After that I'll work out how to wire it up to the switch to make it work correctly for me.

In the Sahara version of the 80 in Oz there was an antenna control module that this switch connected to.

That´s what I tried to explain before. Most of the automatic antena models out there, no matter which brand of vehicle are installed depend on a current sensing module (usually inside a blackbox attached to the motor) which detects up or down position because the motor draw more amps once the telescopic reach it´s top or low end. Of course the motor have some kind of clutch to drive the drum and avoid any damage to this motor or the gear driving the drum. Also the board has a timer which kills of the supply to the motor in case the flexible plastic wire that drive the telescopic break and avoid a endless running motor.

The stock 80 series antena doesn´t have a control module since the switch drives the motor directly.

It make sense to have this auto control black box in the dashboard so the antena motor will be the same no matter which type the 80 is equiped, saving a lot in the assembling plant if they should have a diferent harness for auto or not auto antena.

Since you will need this auto blackbox control unit to take advantage of the switch you need to get it´s price and decide if it´s worth all the hassle. Also the black box should include a female plug and wiring to match the new auto switch which I bet has one more pin and the black box should have also a male plug were you will hook your old antena harness.

It would, but as soon as you press the UP/DOWN buttons the auto button pops out. You can't be in auto and manual at the same time.

You could over come this by breaking the switch open and removing the mechanics thst pops the Auto button out.

These switches ware available in the Sahara version of the 80 in Oz.

An update on this switch for those who were interested in using it as a winch switch.

I happen to have one and broke it open today. There is a mechanical latch that you can remove so as the Auto part of the switch doesn't pop out when one of the other switches is depressed.

The wiring of the switch is perfect for use as a winch controller. The Auto button is press on, press off and the other two are momentary.

Hope this helps.
Antenna Switch with Auto.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom