Radio/Door problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed a new stereo a few weeks ago - Kenwood unit. It works great - as long as I don't open the door while it's running. When I open the door while its running the stereo will often stop - the display is still lit, but no music from either the tuner or CD. Ussually it's the passenger side front door, but occasionally the drivers side door will do it also. On rare occasion, opening and closing the door causes it to start working.

I suspect this is somehow related to the switch for the dome lights. Opening the passenger side front door sometimes doesn't turn on the lights, and sometimes it does just for an instant. And the back doors don't turn on the lights at all. So my first order of business to to see if I can clean those switches and see if that helps - but any other suggestions are appreciated!

The only thing I can offer is that if you used the stock wiring I believe the constant +12V for the radio/clock memory is usually on the DOME fuse. So it might have something to do with that circuit.

The only thing I can offer is that if you used the stock wiring I believe the constant +12V for the radio/clock memory is usually on the DOME fuse. So it might have something to do with that circuit.

Well, it's good to know there is some connection there! My guess is a dirty/faulty switch is causing a surge in that circuit that effectively "crashes" the stereo. Any takers?

I'm using George's LED dome lights - any chance that is connected?

I'm using George's LED dome lights - any chance that is connected?

I doubt it. Lots of people are using his lights without issues. I had them in my old FJ62 with an Eclipse HU, no problem.

Dunno if this will help, or not ...... but I helped a friend install a lot of new stereo gear in my '92 FJ80, in late December/early January (don't even ask what-all I put in there:rolleyes:guess I was just in a pimpmobile kinda mood:eek:), and I've had weird kind of intermittant problems since. All related to the opening and closing of the driver's door.

The dome light flickers, and I lose left/driver-side speakers (various and/or all), and have to pull the damn door panel and fix one or another wire. It's always simple stuff - fixing a loose wire - but it's all PITA stuff, and it's starting to REALLY piss me off!

Until I pulled the old OEM speakers and stereo equipment (and added a lot in the rear cargo panels), I never had a lick of trouble with things.
See what I get for mucking about with a stereo that was "all right" as it was? :lol:

Sorry I don't have answers, but maybe my probs will give you (or others here) ideas as to how to help you out.

I'm about to give up, pull it all out, and sell it all, and do without. I rarely even listen to anything while driving. My friend talked me into this stupid stereo-upgrade idea, dunno WHY I listened to him... *sigh*
And I'm about to leave my rig in a garage for a few weeks, anyway, while I go on a very long-time-planned trip to Cameroon.

If you were losing power the radio would shut off, not just stop playing music. Most head units have a protection circuit built in to protect against shorts on the speaker leads. Sounds to me that a shorting speaker wire in the door is more likely than a door trigger problem. Try this. With the door open try manually pushing the pin switch to turn the light on and off and see if that effects it at all. If not, then your problem is the actual physical movement of the door and not the electrical opening of the switch.

Had the same issue, thought it was the door switches, disconnected them and still had the same issue. Mine was isolated to the rt rear door speaker lead, When I disconnected the rt rear speaker it was fine. once I hooked it up as soon as I opened the door it shorted, display on but no sound.

I just ran new speaker wire fromt he head unit to the speakers, the rears were easy, the fronts were kind of a bitch, pull the center pillar trim and run it up the pillar and follow the leads for the stock wiring na dnthe window power, I did and have had no problems since. apparently the wires to the door speaker were grounding out in the boot through the door. just bypass the wiring.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom