Regear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone post up a link to a thread that explains how to install new gears. I've been searching the FAQ and cannot find it.

Thanks,

sj

It's unrealistic to expect someone to write this up in detail. It is well documented in the Factory Service Manual.

Yes, the factory service manual explains the procedure in detail.

When I set mine up, I also read through most of the high pinion and cruiser gear installs which are described by ZUK from the Pirate board. He has some very useful tips and descriptions of home built tools on his website:

http://www.gearinstalls.com/

If you don't know what you are doing and don't have the tools I HIGHLY recommend paying someone to do it once you pull the thirds. Usually low cost if you pull the thirds for them and you know it will be done right.

Yea, there is an art to it, you have to get the pattern perfect if you want quiet, long-lasting gears.

One of the vendors, JT's or something like that will do setup for $200 a pop, and that is reasonable! before shipping, it can be done for less than 1100.

Yea, there is an art to it, you have to get the pattern perfect if you want quiet, long-lasting gears.

One of the vendors, JT's or something like that will do setup for $200 a pop, and that is reasonable! before shipping, it can be done for less than 1100.

That sounds like what I will probably do then. I would like to learn how to do this though.

You have to have a wide assortment of spacers for the rear diff to do it right as well. I paid someone $150 per diff to do it. I thought it was money well spent.

Besides, you will be biusy enough rebuilding your front axle while it's a part. Good tyme to go for the harder rear drive shafts as well.

Trust me it's not something you learn one time around. I'm doing them at the rate of five a week and still learning. The Toyotas are easy compared to the late models I do. I've got a roll around toolbox that is specific for ring and pinions. It's full of shims,calipers,case spreaders,hot plate,pinion simulators,carrier simulators,bearings,races,gear paint,and not to mention the two presses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom